Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Well, that came out quite nicely...

1 fairly large butternut squash, quartered and roasted (about an hour at 350)....netted about 800 grams when all said and done

1 mid-sized granny smith apple...another 200 grams.  (Might use 2 next time but this was OK.)

Tossed into the blender with a lot of unsweetened almond milk...about a liter...to get everything pureed.  Split into 5 personal-size portions.

So, 1 portion into a saucepan with a small amount of liquid stevia, some pumpkin pie spice, and a suggestion I saw...some prepared ginger.  Probably a tablespoon?  Might've been a bit much.  Warm and serve.

Quite yummy.  I'll try a bit less ginger next time, I expect, but it was a solid combo.  Butternut is available all year, and this is really easy and quick at dinner time.

Meanwhile on the opposite end of the spectrum, this morning's breakfast was a Costco chocolate muffin and rewarmed coffee from yesterday.

I'm thinking about a second muffin, but then I'd have to make fresh coffee.  Not sure I'm motivated enough for that.

I skip the tomato sauce (and use about half as much red wine in their place), and I swap out one of the cans of kidney beans for black beans.  I think the Tabasco is gratuitous and recommend dicing one each fresh jalapeno and poblano peppers and using that instead.

Also, you'll do better if you instead of the various ground chili powders, get whole dried peppers (I use one each of two large varieties and 3 or 4 of a smaller variety) and put them in the mix immediately after the initial browning.  After 3 hours or so, fish the peppers out, slit them open, scrape the insides out with a butter knife.  Return the scraped pepper essence to the pot and stir; discard the scraped-out husks.  Simmer another hour or more to equilibrate flavors.

Tomorrow is a big day; tomorrow is National Corn Chip Day! But wait, there's more! Tomorrow is also National Puzzle Day!

I'm giving you a heads up to prepare. How do you prepare? By making Puzzle Shaped Corn Chips, of course! 

0yT9Pl2.png

The cartoon is from 2015, but I actually created these for the first time in 2007! I don't have pictures from that original batch, but these pics are from a more recent batch.

pMbEae6.jpeg

A8dDeuv.jpeg

I want to make them again, but I used to take them to work so that I didn't have to eat them all myself. I no longer have a group to help me consume, so I'll skip this year. 

The last time I made a batch I made both a savory spiced (salt, garlic, chili) bunch and a sweet spiced (sugar, cinnamon, cardamom) lot. 

I still think there's a market for puzzle shaped chips. 

Shaped corn chips are becoming a thing, I see. Texas shaped corn chips are already a product you can buy. But I just learned of Leaf Shaped Chips from Trader Joe's. And a lot of people are doing their own at home, like Stars and Halloween Shapes

On 1/25/2022 at 8:06 AM, Cygnia said:

272194303_1332752780506741_6581691994562

This raises many of the noble disputes. One) Bean or no Bean? After the bloodshed...2) Kidney (the correct choice lol) ,or Pinto? Those whose use other beans or the foul users of several beans are not to be considered. Ground meat, ot chunks? Beef (the sacred) or mix? By now most folks should be on the way to the hospital, and the few remaining can now cook.

My uncles always made chili with wild meat.

6 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

My chili recipe of choice (which is once in a blue moon, since hubby no longer eats red meat).

Hubby does black bean chili for himself.

Very nice! A "true" "Bowl of red". :) But where is the beans? Lol My mother was from NM, and slow cooked, with hatch chilies, but added Pintoes. My father added Kidneys. I add kidney beans.