Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

I'm not generally a hot dog guy. There are a few circumstances in which I consider hot dogs to be acceptable food:

• Cooked over a fire (campfire or grill)
  • At a baseball game
  • Breaded in cornmeal, fried, and served on a stick
  • Chopped up and mixed into mac and cheese with the kids

Other than that, I'll generally pass. "Gourmet hot dogs"? Oxymoron, as far as I'm concerned.

I don't see going for many of the Umai dogs;  that place Cygnia mentioned, on the other hand...have it your way.  I could go for that.

I don't do dogs or brats any more, simply because I don't buy white bread/rolls.  I'll grab a Green Chile Double at Whataburger from time to time...but that's once.  Dogs, I'm usually looking at 2 of em, and that's just too many carbs.  Plus, even the better hot dogs are pretty bad...high in several things you don't want.  I do chicken sausages...Applegate, quite often, but they've gotten expensive...on a better, whole grain/seeds bread.  

My earliest baking incident involved getting teaspoons and tablespoons mixed up for the salt. They were incredibly salty, but I was a kid and they were cookies so I ate them anyway. 

Yes, I got incredibly sick. 

I'll never understand why my grandmother let the baking continue with such an obvious mistake. As an adult I came to learn that she was a horrible cook and probably didn't realize the error herself. 

7 hours ago, Grailknight said:

Why? Unless you just hate spaghetti and meatballs, that's just a change in the meat to pasta ratio.

I love spaghetti and meatballs. 

There are no spaghetti and meatballs in that picture. 

Instead, that shows the unholy abomination that is SpaghettiOs. 

I got pretty darn good at chicken parmesan.  (Hint:  season the flour...salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, and season the bread crumbs...dried oregano and basil...separately.)

I pulled off a very nice chicken piccata a couple of times. 

Both are breaded...piccata often more lightly.

But chicken fried steak is an abomination.

15 hours ago, unclevlad said:

But chicken fried steak is an abomination.

One of the very few things I enjoyed from my time living in Arizona was a good Chicken Fried Steak smothered in white or brown gravy and warm biscuits.    Since returning to the East Coast I find it as unable to find here as I did good Pizza or Chinese food out there. 
  Perhaps your experience with the dish is simply a cultural thing.