Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Hey, the kid was honest.  He liked it...but he wouldn't have paid the price.  Which I get.  He re-seasoned that pan multiple times;  at that point, functionally, there won't be any difference between it and a Lodge or Victoria.  And for $160, I can get...with a little searching...my fajita pan, comal (griddle) pan, and a 10 or 12 inch carbon steel skillet.  (For higher heat, carbon steel works better, IMO.  You don't have to baby it when cleaning, and with higher heat, that's more of an issue.  And it's a LOT lighter and therefore easier to handle.  I have a 12" square griddle with wide, sloped sides that I use regularly;  it can hold 3 standard-size (4x4) slices or 2 large-size slices, plus 2 eggs (in egg rings), a 1/3 pound burger patty, or the like.  (Lunch was, in fact, a pan-grilled egg and cheese sandwich.)  The only downside?  That pan's heavy.

40 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

That makes it a perfect weapon! :eg:

My cast iron is from Lodge.  Got it at the local restaurant supply shop.

But with the short handle, it's unbalanced.  

Lodge is by far the most widely distributed brand.  Bed Bath and Beyond has a Wall of Iron.  Sportsman's Warehouse has it too, since it's good for camp cooking.  Got my carbon steel pan there.  Target and IIRC Wal-Mart have it.

Victoria seasons a bit easier, and I prefer their handles a bit more, but we're not talking big differences.  

50 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

But with the short handle, it's unbalanced.  

Lodge is by far the most widely distributed brand.  Bed Bath and Beyond has a Wall of Iron.  Sportsman's Warehouse has it too, since it's good for camp cooking.  Got my carbon steel pan there.  Target and IIRC Wal-Mart have it.

Victoria seasons a bit easier, and I prefer their handles a bit more, but we're not talking big differences.  

Being unbalanced isn't always a problem. Back in the early 90s, my wife worked at a cutlery store in an outlet mall here in Vegas that sold Lodge cast iron pans. One day, a man groped her as she was rearranging the stock, and she "accidentally" swung a Lodge cast iron pan as she turned around, apologized, and proceeded to "accidentally" hit him a few more times in sensitive places. He decided to stumble out of the store before any more "accidents" happened.

• 2 weeks later...