Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

I prefer Valabar's palaczinta, from Brust's Dragaera books.  A layer "cake" of sorts.  Each layer's a crepe.  In between each?  Take your pick.  Chopped spiced nuts.  Creme anglaise.  Chocolate.  Crushed berries.  Honey-lemon mix.  All in a stack like a cake, sliced and served.  

Made it once.  Pain in the backside in a home kitchen. :)  Little beyond my skills.  But lordy, I'd love to try a pro's version.

8 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Cross-posted in Winter Holidays thread.

ELsUvrBW4AEIawU.jpg

13 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I prefer Valabar's palaczinta, from Brust's Dragaera books.  A layer "cake" of sorts.  Each layer's a crepe.  In between each?  Take your pick.  Chopped spiced nuts.  Creme anglaise.  Chocolate.  Crushed berries.  Honey-lemon mix.  All in a stack like a cake, sliced and served.  

Made it once.  Pain in the backside in a home kitchen. :)  Little beyond my skills.  But lordy, I'd love to try a pro's version.

We'll take two of each, please.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

In which case may I recommend vintage Port. And I mean 30 year old Port

Don't get me wrong, I'm a sucker for LBVs if I can find 'em.  But no sense in breaking out the pricey stuff for just Kit Kats. ;)

(the running joke when I run games is that I can be bribed with Ports of all varieties.  I've got a 10yr old tawny waiting for me when we get back to the house)

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

In which case may I recommend vintage Port. And I mean 30 year old Port

Are we talking vintage port bottled 30 years ago, or a port aged in barrel for 30 years?  The latter is what's generally called a 30 year port...but it's tawny port, not vintage.  Vintage port is described normally simply by "vintage XXXX."

Only had a true vintage port once...a Dow's 1950.  Kinda strange...my mother had bought it, intending it as a gift for a friend, but decided it was a tad too dear.  (It would be.)  So we broke it out one year when I was at her condo over Christmas.  Awesome stuff.

I've had 20 and 30 year old tawnies...a few times.  Much more woody, as one would expect from barrel aging for that long.  An excellent dessert or post-dessert tipple, but next to impossible to find down here.

And push come to shove?  Tawnies aren't that expensive.  Not cheap, no, but not that bad.  Then again, my bias is to cognac, single malts (preferably Islay or island...Lagavulin quarter cask, please!) or good Bourbon (Woodford Reserve, generally).  The single malts have just gone stratospheric.  

It doesn't help that we have one, and only one, standalone liquor store.  We're a fixed number of licenses area, and EVERY other license was bought up by a supermarket, Wal Mart, Walgreens, or gas station/quickie mart.  The liquor store has a nice selection of single malts, but the prices are...obscene.  But no one else has anything worth talking about, pretty much.  

Ah well.

Got myself a Christmas 4-pack from Ommegang...their Three Philosophers, a Belgian quadruple, finished 4 different ways.  And a glass.  Quads are big and heavy and malty;  they're best after dinner, IMO.  Which is fine.  One for Christmas Eve, another for Christmas Night, and definitely one for NYE.

The diet will start January 2nd.

My Dad has these brown rice & quinoa packets he gets from Sam's Club. The other night we fried up a pound of ground beef and added one packet, plus a can of great northern beans and a can of corn, and seasoned it with Tajín spice mix. Good stuff; very filling and it fed six.

Needed Hoisin sauce for the duck, which meant of course that I had most of the bottle left over.

Some time later, I got a lamb leg...called semi-boneless.  Easy enough to break down, but it left some awkward sized and shaped chunks.  So, hmmm....ok.  Cube it up to fry with onions and mushrooms.  And...what else...hmmm...

Balsamic vinegar

Hoisin Sauce

Soy sauce

In equal parts, I believe.  With some olive oil...and next time, probably a dollop of sesame oil, since the duck called for that too.  Think it helped getting everything to emulsify together.  

Toss the cubes with this, let that sit overnight in the fridge.  Yum!

Since then...Christmas Eve is rib roast night, which means a ton of leftovers.  That means, slice as thin as feasible...maybe chop down to bite sizes if needed.  Pan fry up some bread, while just heating up the beef.  

With this sauce atop.  MMMM.....

Gonna do this often, I suspect.  One of the local markets now regularly carries some shaved beef...lean, raw, finely sliced, great for sandwiches like this.  NOT very expensive, especially given the price of decent cuts these days.  They also have shaved rib meat, but that actually doesn't work as well.  It's too soft, a little too fatty, to shave well;  it clumps up, and you want it to fall apart.