The Death Of Vinnie The Viceroy

Marcus Impudite

Recently, local crime boss "Vinnie The Viceroy" was on trial for racketeering and a long laundry list of other dirty deeds. As expected, however, Vinnie had enough money to hire one of the absolute best lawyers to defend him in court: Rolland Fairweather. The DA was helpless but to watch in utter astonishment as Mister Fairweather systematically dismantled the prosecution's case on every charge and made nervous wrecks of every witness he cross examined. Long story short, Vinnie walked out of the courthouse a free man, smiling smugly and making obscene gestures at the crowd that jeered him on his way down the courthouse steps.

But then a couple nights later, Vinnie and a number of his flunkies were found dead in an abandoned warehouse down by the docks that they had presumably been using in their operations. The cause of death for all of them was...too gruesome to even speak of, but judging by the expressions that were now and forever frozen on their faces, Vinnie and his boys died screaming in terror! The police did the minimum amount of investigating they were required to do for something like this, but found no leads as to who offed The Viceroy and his men.

Then later, either your character or one of his/her associates finds something the cops missed: a secret video surveillance system Vinnie had set up in the warehouse! A member of your party with the appropriate skill set is able to retrieve digital video from the approximate time of death for Vinnie and his goons. The following is what you see on the video:

A young woman is gagged and tied to a chair in the midst of boxes and crates. It's Daniela Dupree, Rolland Fairweather's secretary?! A minute later, Fairweather himself steps into veiw, approaches the girl, and removes her gag.

Daniela: [stunned expression on her face] "M-Mister Fairweather? How--"

Fairweather: "It's alright, I'll have you untied and we'll get you home as soon as--"

Vinnie The Viceroy and his thugs enter the frame. Vinnie smiles wryly

Vinnie: "Well, well, I wasn't expecting you to come calling, Rollie."

Fairweather: "Care to explain to me what you think you're doing with my secretary?"

Vinnie: "Don't be so naïve, you know the kind of businesses I'm in. I have a buyer lined up for her in the Middle East. Hell, I would have given you a cut of the profits if you'd just let me have her."

Fairweather: "Vinnie, Vinnie, Vinnie," [shakes head] "We already had this conversation. And if memory serves, I told you that if you take something that belongs to me, you will suffer the consequences."

Vinnie: [laughs] "Consequences? And just what are you going to do Mister Attornery? File for an injunction?" [he turns and gestures to his goons] "Kill him, boys."

Vinnie's goons open fire on Mr. Fairweather with submachine guns. He's soon riddled with bullet holes. Daniela cries out.

Daniela: "Nooo!!!Mister Fairweather!!!!"

Fairweather at first seems to be crumpling lifelessly to the floor, but then stops halfway down and stands back up. He looks directly at Vinnie with a malevolent smile.

Fairweather: "You know, you really shouldn't have done that..."

Vinnie: "W-What in the name of--"

Fairweather waves a hand over his torso. The bullet wounds, the blood, and the holes in his clothes instantly vanish.

Fairweather: [chuckles] "Well what do you know, good as new..."

Daniela: [looks at him in shock] "M-Mister Fairweather?"

Fairweather waves his hand over Daniela's face, her eyes close and her head and shoulders slump forward.

Fairweather: "Sleep my dear, and remember nothing."

Fairweather turns to Vinnie and starts to advance menacingly toward him.

Vinnie: "W-What the hell are you? No, stay back! No, no, no, NOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

The last images you see on the video are of Rolland Fairweather changing into his terrifying true form. The camera then cuts to nothing but snow shortly thereafter...

If sought out later, Daniela has (of course) no memory of what happen at the warehouse; but is otherwise no worse for wear. You find here in Fairweather's office, seeking consolation from him after a "horrible nightmare" she had the night before....

WWYCD?

Re: The Death Of Vinnie The Viceroy

Shadow Hawk would start a backround investigation (in secret) on him. People who transform like that are suspicious.

Stick, after having the video described to him, would confront Mr. Fairweather with "So, turn into a demon often?" He wouldn't arrest him, but would try to find out more.

Thunder Child would tell the grown up heroes. I mean, I'm under 18, YOU deal with it!

Nothing since it was clearly a case of self defense and Fairweather actually rescued his secretary from white slavery.

There is such a thing as excessive force even in self-defense. You aren't allowed to shoot anyone who kicks you in the shin.

There is such a thing as excessive force even in self-defense. You aren't allowed to shoot anyone who kicks you in the shin.

This is very true.

(California Law and Federal Law, your local laws may vary)

If someone unloads a machine gun at you, drops it and flees, you are not allowed to shoot him (as a civilian) at all! He's "No longer a threat" to you. As a law enforcement official, you aren't allowed to shoot him unless you have probable cause to believe that even after dropping the gun and fleeing he is a "Future Threat to life and limb".

Now, my heroes don't think that way much... those thugs deserved what they got. But what I think and what the law says are two different things.

(And remember, your laws may vary. Never break a law out of ignorance. Do it on purpose!)

Futurian would want to go to the guy and shake his hand. He has no idea how much of a baddie he is.

Volt ,Black Tiger and Leadman would be suspicious, especially about the "belongs to me" comment.

Olorin would know in an instant. "Great. Another Dark Lord. Time to bring out the big guns- once I study him." Study him and find weaknesses. Has ace up sleeve vs magic users, but would need to bring a non-magic user along as it would affect him as well.

Due to the video evidence of Mr. Fairweather being shot first any action that he took to preserve the life of himself and his secretary was within the constraints of meeting the force with a bit more force to overcome the opposition. There's no way to prove when the thugs dropped their weapons, so arguing excessive force is pointless. Any defense attorney worth his salt would argue that Mr. Fairweather had a legal obligation to protect his secretary from harm under the auspices of it being a citizen's duty to protect others when they have the means to do so. See citizen's arrest for examples of what a citizen can do.

However, the video evidence clearly shows that Mr. Fairweather was unarmed while the thugs weren't and he used his natural abilities for self defense. While he may be bulletproof, his secretary isn't and with the thugs discharging their weapons willy nilly with no thought to innocents down range of them it was his legal obligation as an officer of the court and a private citizen to ensure that no innocent was harmed from the actions of the criminals.

Due to the video evidence of Mr. Fairweather being shot first any action that he took to preserve the life of himself and his secretary was within the constraints of meeting the force with a bit more force to overcome the opposition. There's no way to prove when the thugs dropped their weapons, so arguing excessive force is pointless. Any defense attorney worth his salt would argue that Mr. Fairweather had a legal obligation to protect his secretary from harm under the auspices of it being a citizen's duty to protect others when they have the means to do so. See citizen's arrest for examples of what a citizen can do.

However, the video evidence clearly shows that Mr. Fairweather was unarmed while the thugs weren't and he used his natural abilities for self defense. While he may be bulletproof, his secretary isn't and with the thugs discharging their weapons willy nilly with no thought to innocents down range of them it was his legal obligation as an officer of the court and a private citizen to ensure that no innocent was harmed from the actions of the criminals.

However, if the physical evidence proves that the individuals were tortured to death. . .

You know, Boomtown Brawler probably worked for Vinnie a time or six. He probably grew up with some of the humps what bought it that night. He might get a little teary-eyed. But business is business. He certainly doesn't have the sense to know what to do with the videotape.

If he had to do something, he wouldn't keep it. Probably mail it to One Police Plaza in bubble wrap, via a public mailbox, with no return address. Or forget to do it, and let the tape get lost in his apartment.

That's a presumption of something not based on anything presented in the original post.

The cause of death for all of them was...too gruesome to even speak of' date=' but judging by the expressions that were now and forever frozen on their faces, Vinnie and his boys died screaming in terror![/quote']

Hmmmm.

It doesn't indicate any torture. It does indicate they died of fright and last time I checked fear isn't torture.

Fear isn't "to gruesome to even think about" either, which the original post clearly states the method of death was. The original post, to my way of thinking, clearly indicates more then Vinnie and his goons keeling over from fright.

It doesn't indicate any torture. It does indicate they died of fright and last time I checked fear isn't torture.

"too gruesome" Perhaps not torture, but probably bodies taken apart.

Somehow, I think going after The Shadow Lord on legality grounds, isn't really going to work anyway.

Of the games I was in, as written, the Protectors from Sam Bell's campaign, have a decent chance at him.

Recently, local crime boss "Vinnie The Viceroy" was on trial for racketeering and a long laundry list of other dirty deeds. As expected, however, Vinnie had enough money to hire one of the absolute best lawyers to defend him in court: Rolland Fairweather. The DA was helpless but to watch in utter astonishment as Mister Fairweather systematically dismantled the prosecution's case on every charge and made nervous wrecks of every witness he cross examined. Long story short, Vinnie walked out of the courthouse a free man, smiling smugly and making obscene gestures at the crowd that jeered him on his way down the courthouse steps.

But then a couple nights later, Vinnie and a number of his flunkies were found dead in an abandoned warehouse down by the docks that they had presumably been using in their operations. The cause of death for all of them was...too gruesome to even speak of, but judging by the expressions that were now and forever frozen on their faces, Vinnie and his boys died screaming in terror! The police did the minimum amount of investigating they were required to do for something like this, but found no leads as to who offed The Viceroy and his men.

Then later, either your character or one of his/her associates finds something the cops missed: a secret video surveillance system Vinnie had set up in the warehouse! A member of your party with the appropriate skill set is able to retrieve digital video from the approximate time of death for Vinnie and his goons. The following is what you see on the video:

A young woman is gagged and tied to a chair in the midst of boxes and crates. It's Daniela Dupree, Rolland Fairweather's secretary?! A minute later, Fairweather himself steps into veiw, approaches the girl, and removes her gag.

Daniela: [stunned expression on her face] "M-Mister Fairweather? How--"

Fairweather: "It's alright, I'll have you untied and we'll get you home as soon as--"

Vinnie The Viceroy and his thugs enter the frame. Vinnie smiles wryly

Vinnie: "Well, well, I wasn't expecting you to come calling, Rollie."

Fairweather: "Care to explain to me what you think you're doing with my secretary?"

Vinnie: "Don't be so naïve, you know the kind of businesses I'm in. I have a buyer lined up for her in the Middle East. Hell, I would have given you a cut of the profits if you'd just let me have her."

Fairweather: "Vinnie, Vinnie, Vinnie," [shakes head] "We already had this conversation. And if memory serves, I told you that if you take something that belongs to me, you will suffer the consequences."

Vinnie: [laughs] "Consequences? And just what are you going to do Mister Attornery? File for an injunction?" [he turns and gestures to his goons] "Kill him, boys."

Vinnie's goons open fire on Mr. Fairweather with submachine guns. He's soon riddled with bullet holes. Daniela cries out.

Daniela: "Nooo!!!Mister Fairweather!!!!"

Fairweather at first seems to be crumpling lifelessly to the floor, but then stops halfway down and stands back up. He looks directly at Vinnie with a malevolent smile.

Fairweather: "You know, you really shouldn't have done that..."

Vinnie: "W-What in the name of--"

Fairweather waves a hand over his torso. The bullet wounds, the blood, and the holes in his clothes instantly vanish.

Fairweather: [chuckles] "Well what do you know, good as new..."

Daniela: [looks at him in shock] "M-Mister Fairweather?"

Fairweather waves his hand over Daniela's face, her eyes close and her head and shoulders slump forward.

Fairweather: "Sleep my dear, and remember nothing."

Fairweather turns to Vinnie and starts to advance menacingly toward him.

Vinnie: "W-What the hell are you? No, stay back! No, no, no, NOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

The last images you see on the video are of Rolland Fairweather changing into his terrifying true form. The camera then cuts to nothing but snow shortly thereafter...

If sought out later, Daniela has (of course) no memory of what happen at the warehouse; but is otherwise no worse for wear. You find here in Fairweather's office, seeking consolation from him after a "horrible nightmare" she had the night before....

WWYCD?

Is someone using their Shadow Lord character in WWYCDs now. ;)

Nothing since it was clearly a case of self defense and Fairweather actually rescued his secretary from white slavery.

Pretty much Badger's reaction. Wouldnt care much for scum like Vinny. Would want to find out the details of this transformation. He cant abide letting demons run around.

Frosty Bob- Ponders the risk/reward that flirting with that hot secretary would present. ;) Otherwise, do nothing. (maybe disappointed it wasnt he who took out Vinny)