I Just Shoot Marvin In The Face

Marcus Impudite

inspired by this:

You and your colleges just captured some minor villain/mook (named "Marvin" for purposes of this thread) and are taking him to the cops/back to HQ/whatever aboard the team vehicle. One of your teammates is seated next to Marvin. During the drive/flight the vehicle hits a bump/pocket of turbulance and said teammate's weapon/energy blast power/whatever accidentally goes off, and Marvin takes a lethal (and very messy) shot through the head. WWYCD?

Re: I Just Shoot Marvin In The Face

Report the matter to the authorities after putting the member whose gun missfired on suspension from the team [holding him /her responsible for the discharge of the weapon]

I've seen this movie...

Contact Mr. Wolf.

Depending on the character, one or the other of those. Millennium may try to lay on the Healing Touch, but if it didn't work (and it doesn't always work), it's confess all to the proper authorities time.

None of my characters, except by Gm fiat, could have one of their powers accidentally go off. Even if it did, an instant fatality even for a normal would be rare in the extreme (Assume 8 body on normal no resistant defences, 6 of 10 dice would have to be sixes and there could be no ones.) If it happened and Marvin did not die Olorin could heal him. If Olorin were not present, the vehicle has some healing stocked. If the guy dies, well, it happens. Report it and investigate how this could happen, because as I said, it would just about have to be GM fiat. Might be fun to roleplay though.

This wouldn't really be appropriate for most of my characters, because they are too professional to handle weapons in an unsafe manner, or have sufficient control over their own powers such that this sort of accident couldn't realistically happen, or because it just doesn't suit the tone of their game, or some combination thereof. The only one that seems worth posting is as follows:

Sylph: Doesn't really understand how her powers work and they are gifts from Dionysius anyway, so if he had a reason to trigger something through her it could certainly happen. Probably not unless Dionysius wanted, but she wouldn't necessarily know that right away. Sylph already has enough trouble with Maenad coming out unexpectedly; this would just give her more to angst about. She would try to heal whoever it was immediately. If the NPC dies, then out of character, I would want to know where the GM is going with this, as it doesn't fit her game's tone.

hfergus, Zed: I said one of your teammates' weapons/attack powers went off by accident, not yours (i.e., you're Jules and they're Vincent for purposes of this scenario, as per bubba smith's post above). If you don't have regular teammates per se, assume it was someone you temporarily teamed up with.

Get one of my team mates with healing to repair the injuries, but if he dies I turn to the member who did it, and depending on the person the following happens:

-No regeneration powers- say, "What the **** you playing at?" And pistol whip his head. "Now what the heck we supposed to do?"

-Etrigan (A demon with regeneration powers, and most likely did it on purpose)- Pull out my pistols, fire a holy bullet in his head and turn to my companions. "That will only hold him for a few minutes before he's back to killing." I ask my mentalist Spy to mind control him to keep him down before reading his mind and finding out the truth.

Then I call Elayne (The person funding the team) and say, "We have a problem." And tell her what happened and what is found in thoughts.

Yes the group has trust issues. But mainly against the Demon.

hfergus' date=' Zed: I said [i']one of your teammates'[/i] weapons/attack powers went off by accident, not yours (i.e., you're Jules and they're Vincent for purposes of this scenario, as per bubba smith's post above). If you don't have regular teammates per se, assume it was someone you temporarily teamed up with.

Ah, ok, I misunderstood based on hfergus's reply. In that event, it depends on the tone of the game. A fatal shooting of this sort still would not be appropriate for characters in a silver age game, for instance. Wounding might be another matter.

Sylph would still be horrified and try to heal the person who got shot. Since she's in a game that's more silver age than not, very likely he won't have been fatally injured and she'll be successful. As for rounding on whoever accidentally shot him, that takes a distant second to saving lives. She will eventually berate the person for their carelessness... and then probably assume they'll have learned their lesson and not do it again.

For Soulbarb, it depends on where she is in her career. This will be a temporary team-up sort of situation, as her only regular partner doesn't carry around firearms, have ranged attack powers (currently), or have less than full control over his powers. In her current game she's very much focused toward law, so yes the shooter will be held accountable for his or her actions and the safety of his or her weapons, until such time as guilt or innocence is determined. She'll also investigate, starting by using her Soulsight to determine whether the killing was indeed accidental, or 'accidental-on-purpose', or performed while under another's influence, e.g. mind control or the like. In the last case, if the cause is mystic, she will likely detect it in short order; otherwise it may take a bit longer.

Beastwarden is in a silver-age game (more-or-less) and thus the shooting probably wouldn't be fatal; if not, he could try to heal it with his shamanic magic (or Rainfall could with hers.) I don't think any of the PCs on the team have the right powerset for this, but some of the NPCs might carry a firearm. As far as the ramifications from that point go, he's not quite familiar enough with the law to decide what to do next, and will defer to his teammates on the matter. If they decide an investigation is warranted, he'll be happy to help, but he likely won't take the lead unless they show no interest in the matter at all.

Ooh. I need to buy Cortex an RKA, indirect, variable special effect, Sfx: he momentarily dominates someone and makes them shoot a target of his choosing.

So when a teammate shoots Marvin in the face, it's what Cortex just did....

Karma: Gibs-Slaps team-mate and tells them they will be cleaning the vehicle. Also refuses to ride in any vehicle with team-mate from now on, and constantly makes references to 'pointing that thing away from me' etc. (plus comments about being 'premature' etc. if team-mate is male) from then on until team -mate leaves team in disgrace.

Fore-eyes - Having pulled Marvin out of the way at the last second tells team-mate to check his damn safety. Either that or he puts the team-mates safety on before they entered the vehicle telling them "Trust me, it'll be better for all of us". If for some reason he did not see it coming, reports insident and puts team-mate on suspention. (note Fore-eyes has team-members who this could happen to,even with their natural powers (NCC, ain't it a gas?), but they do NOT ride in the same vehicle with, well, anyone actually (They use the Gate after everyone else has gone first.)

Hardball: If it was someone else see Karma's first sentence. Also treats team-mate to lecture about the difficulty of questioning the dead. If it was him: Apologises and promises to clean the vehicle (and thanks his lucky stars that it wasn't one of his baseball grenades that went off).

Necrophage: Screams, grabs her head and lets the team-mate relive Marvin's last moments in living Mental-Illusion colour. Then continues to beat on them until someone pulls her off screaming "You stupid @#$%ing idiot, do you really think I want this @#$%er in my brain? Do you? Huh!? Soon as I find a way of shifting him out I'm making him YOUR brain-mate. Shut the Hell up Marvin! Marvin wants me to kill you...I'm trying really hard not to..."

Ok, I misunderstood. Not my characters, but the teamates. Still, not really applicable except by Gm fiat. One is a mentalist with no attacks that do damage at all. The other has 10 dice normal attack and would have to roll very high to instantly kill. The the healing could still apply. Still, interesting for role-playing. Since I am the GM (filling needed roles until the players can handle more than one character) I'd have to do it. And I never would without talking to my players, not in this campaign. It's bronze age in tone with occasional whispers of iron.

The team leader (me. The players did not want it.) would understand if it were a total accident and hold a press conference noting so. If it were the power going wild... He'd put the person on reserve until investigation is complete. If occured due to sloppiness... Can't see it with these characters.

Badger-Pretty much nothing. If the resident boy scout wants to b!tch about that is his business (irony might if the resident boy scout was the guilty party, of course). Badger's powers cant be accidentally discharged.

Frosty Bob- "What?, it was an accident, just like last Tuesday." (seriously no idea)

But, really neither would be likely to be there. Given it was a mook, why cant one PC take him in? And neither Badger or Bob islikely to be that pC. (Badger cant be "bothered" from his mission to take some pitiful wimp to jail and beside he is better suited to tracking down the larger prey. Bob? Well, just too boring a job for him, if you let him do it, he might take Marvin for one last drink before he has to go to jail, see a hot chick to make a pass at, and get shot down in the attempt and generally forget about Marvin being handcuffed to the bar till Monday. When it comes to mundane jobs as such, he lacks focus to put it mildly. Though that might make for quirkily humorous plot)

Probably' date=' one of them is just catching a lift with the other. Or maybe the group just have a rule about always going in pairs when on duty, so as to avoid being ambushed by more powerful bad guys.[/quote']

Yeah, I thought about that after my post. Course, both characters I mentioned would probably think "naw I dont need a partner, I can handle it". Yeah, I never said they weren't sometimes dumb outside of battle. :o

You might want to make sure the discharge was an accident.

I remember back in the Micheline-Layton run on Iron Man, there was a scene where Iron Man had his hand on the back of a visiting dignitary--and his repulsor went off full-blast, making a huge hole in the man's chest. The last panel had Iron Man's reaction shot, with Tony Stark's eyes wide with shock behind the faceplate, muttering "I--I killed him--"

As I recall, Justin Hammer had hacked Irom Man's armor and was able to take control of it--Tony had to act on his own without the armor to resolve the matter.

Anyway, those of you who say your powers cannot accidentally discharge might wish to consider whether or not someone could make them discharge--and put the blame where it belongs, on the villain (not the GM).