Transgendered Superperson

Kal'El Wayne

Okay, I was just reading TV Tropes dot com. And I happened across the page for Whateley Academy fiction. So it gave me an idea.

Your hero, feeling under the weather lately, went to the local superdoctor (ie Reed Richards, or whoever else could diagnose problems of superheroes) to see what is wrong. It's messing with your powers so you went to the best of the best. The doctor walks back in with your full lab reports with an oddly fascinated expression. Then he gives the bad (good?) news. Whatever gave you your powers (be it mutation, accident or experiment) may have given you powers as quickly as it did, but it had another effect that took so long that no one noticed it till now.

You are going to switch sexes.

Now obviously, if you want to try and reverse this, it may be possible, but it would mean losing your powers. (Or, if your hero wants to go back to normal, the 'cure' would cripple you. If you have no powers, then there was an attack by a random supervillain, and his raygun malfunctioned, having the same effect. If you're an android or whatever, it doesn't matter. And if you get your powers from magic, this was a magical curse that cannot be broken without sacrificing your magic.)

So now what? How do you explain this to your parents? What are your mutant friends at Xavier's academy going to say? And what are you going to wear now?

Re: Transgendered Superperson

Ahem...

Hello, sorry, no mom I haven't been avoiding you. No, I, I'm just going through some stuff right now. You know Super Hero stuff. No, no mom it's not like that. No, I'm sorry. It doesn;t have anything to do with how you raised me. It just kind of happened.

- - -

Okay maybe it's because I do a podcast on Sexuality I find this more amusing than GM's giving me $#!^ but I have to say this would at least be a funny joke to pull on a player just to see their reaction.

Badger- got his powers from his alien genetics, so he doesnt seem to apply. But, he isnt giving up his powers so, he'd just have to deal with it. No living loved ones (except maybe his alien father who disappeard when he was 6, and his sister was 2, so he could lie and say he was the sister I suppose.)

But, he aint giving up powers.

Frosty Bob- "What the hell?......I'm a lesbian, oh yeah" :rolleyes: He is immortal due to an understanding with Death. This may be a case of Death being bored and playing a joke, might as well enjoy it till Death gets bored.

Hey, I've been a situation where someone played around with someone else's gadget pool involving a regeneration device, and they tried to make rolls for skills they didn't actually possess, no one saw what the PC was doing to their dying friend, and a gay japanese man became a lesbian genetic soup mostly japanese, part magical mutant woman. I rolled randomly for all of it. This is what happens when you don't clean someone's wounds off before turning on the regeneratron and you DON'T have the other PC's gadget pool or gadgeteering.

Economaster always worried that the economy was more of a male force, and thus would want a male avatar... although s/he would deal with it. After all, the economy chose to keep her as it's prime servant rather than pick someone new. If it got too inconvenient well... she does have the power to do anything money can buy. A super-sex change isn't out of my budget!

Golem doesn't have a clear picture of genders to begin with. A soulless vaguely female shaped statue is no different than a vaguely male shaped one.

Volt - A bit too attached to his gender and only heroing because he has the powers. Bye-bye powers, hello normal life.

Olorin - Been a woman before, will shrug it off. He can also shift gender at will magically. However, if it is a curse (and would have to be given the scenario) he'd reverse it (eventually) and go after whoever did it if applicable.

Black Tiger - Oh boy, will he be mad. Being a woman as such would not bother him, just that messing with him is not acceptable. He'd blame this on his memory loss period, and go into obessive mode figuring it out. Once he takes his vengence (And it would most likely be violent) he'd go back to being a normal man.

Leadman - Gets his powers from a magical aumulet. Would give it up, probably to a good, heroic person who did not mind switching genders.

Futurian "Man, I've always wanted to try out being a woman, but just never got around to it." (Where he is from, gender swithing back and forth is easy and safe but not too cheap.) "I'm going to be gorgeous! Well, I already am, but I'll be a gorgeous woman. This will be fun." He'd stay that way for a long time before even contemplating turning back. (possibly years) Wouldn't really care.

While this is a really rich thing to explore, I'm not sure I would want to. I don't think I'd do it justice. And the idea would have to come from me. If the GM just dumped it on me, I'd be pissed.

That said, my current character is a male bisexual who's mildly homophobic and pretty misogynistic, so it would certainly be interesting.

This actually happened to one of my characters. It was a long, long time ago during an AD&D campaign. Our DM, who was easily persuaded into giving the players inordinate amounts of loot, had our group find some really cool stuff after one rather nasty monster fight. Much of the haul involved weapons--swords and axes, mostly. I was playing a cleric (no edged weapons), so I took the nifty-looking coat of mail we'd found. It ended up being the Invulnerable Coat of Arnd, which was pretty darned cool! Alas, it had a side effect, and yes, you guessed it, my character became female. The only female in the group, I might add. With my character being a cleric and effectively celibate, however, the change had absolutely no effect on role-playing whatsoever.

I should clarify, I am not forcing this scenario on anyone. If I ever even ran it, it would have been planned with the player beforehand. It's just one of those ways in which I can think about my own characters in more indepth ways, to get inside their heads. Steel Circuits, my Power-Armour character, is a man but also a transvestite and would not be very worried about being a woman, especially since his armour could adjust to his new form, and hide it if necessary.

While this is a really rich thing to explore' date=' I'm not sure I would want to. I don't think I'd do it justice. [b']And the idea would have to come from me. If the GM just dumped it on me, I'd be pissed.[/b] (Emphasis mine. -P)

Agreed. I think this would be a fascinating thing to explore as a player (or even as a GM), as long as both parties were in on it. To just dump something like this on a player is probably more weirdness than many players would feel comfortable with. You'd really have to know the player and be sure s/he would be okay with a character change that fundamental.

TCWOAN: "Meow?" "Meow?!?" "Meow!!!" *Dammit! I STILL don't have thumbs!*

Bob Tiger: Brother-in-law (and wife) is member of Unseelie court. Asks wife to check if this is another of BIL's practical jokes. Will opt to change back to male if that's what wife wants (if momma ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy!)

Lance O'Bannon, The Singing Cowboy: Will make whatever sacrifices necessary to continue do-gooding. Will require a new name and a change of wardrobe at the very least.

I don't know about that last, SSgt. Baloo, if you ignore the hair and lipstick in this photo Dale Evans might not actually be wearing anything too different from what Roy Rogers would...

I don't think this premise could work on Earth Girl, as her whole concept is being an avatar of Mother Earth. Being female is pretty central to that.

On the other hand, as Kurzhaan the Conqueror worships the earth goddess and channels his most powerful spells from her, this change would almost certainly be due to her sending some sort of pointed message. He's been pretty aggressively alpha male-ish for twenty thousand years, so I imagine he'd have some difficulty adjusting to the new self-image. But, he wouldn't feel like he could refuse the change if she's responsible for it.

Super Model would do whatever it took to reverse the changes and warn her husband's other ex-wives about the possible long-term side effects of the process that granted them powers.

I don't know about that last' date=' SSgt. Baloo, if you ignore the hair and lipstick in this photo Dale Evans might not actually be wearing anything too different from what Roy Rogers would...

Except her clothes are designed to fit her contours. Try dressing her in Roy's wardrobe and things don't fit very well.

Stormwalker would take it as a Divine portent and roll with it, expecting His powers to change or grow in consequence. He'd especially expect to acquire oracular abilities ala Tieresias.

His family would actually take it in stride once the initial shock wore off. His paramours may be another story....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has a Y Chromosome and a Y-Not? Chromosome.

Iron Maiden would be torn. She really likes having her powers. But she also really likes being a woman. Nonetheless, she'd try the man thing for a while. If she could learn to live with it, fine. If not, then she'll take the cure. But either way, it'd be a brutal choice--the power to fly vs multiple orgasms....

Hell's Angel would find herself transforming into a supernaturally beautiful and charismatic male "angel" form with fire powers instead of female. Hmmm. Not a problem. She can live with that.

Power Man would be thrilled--to be a man. See, "Power Man" is an exodroid (a wearable android form like powered armor that looks human) created and worn by a woman. She only created it because she was convinced that she'd never get the respect and admiration she deserves because she's a woman. Now she actually IS a man. Only a normal man, just like she was only a normal woman--so she'd redesign the exodroid to fit her new form and keep on fighting the good fight.

Karma: Asks if she can bottle this effect (it usually takes major surgery even in the future). Has a long hard think. Decides that being a bloke for a while might be interesting, she can always have it reversed in her own time (and since her powers are tech based it won't effect them).

Fore-Eyes: Having foreseen this eventuality already has all his bases covered. Even has a 'welcome to the club' party booked for the seventh and all the RSVPs are in. The new costume is fabulous and will show off his new cleavege wonderfully (even if he will lack the 'most common superpower'). Lets just say he's had time to adjust and is doing it wonderfully (it helps that most of the characters I play are already female, so he's just becoming part of the norm)

Hardball: Has a little panic attack. Afterward realizes that doing so is an insult to his 'Robin substitute' partner in crime-fighting (who is female (although this is not widely known, she's still young enough that it isn't obvious). Heck this might actually be for the best, once 'he' moves out and 'his sister' moves in there may be less 'nasty looks' from the neighbors in their Secret IDs.

This wouldn't really fit Black Cat - she is a martial artists, so nothing to change her. If something did (the external attack), she'd just change herself back (complete physiological control).

Terminal Velocity would freak out, but settle down - he'd try and find a way to change back all the time though. He would never be comfortable that way. He likely wouldn't give up his powers though.

Sift would just change herself back (minor cosmic pool - she is a Godling).

Meeb, well nothing would happen with him - what is the opposite gender for someone who reproduces by mitosis anyway. :)

I tend to play character who have control of their own body, so that kind of thing is something the character could just reverse. If the GM wouldn't let me use powers that are designed to keep this sort of thing from happening (or could cure it) in the cases of Black Cat or Sift, I'd leave the game.

So, low point normal form, high point multiform, not controlled by the player?

I can see lots of players not paying it any mind. Then again, I can see lots of boys in real life making a face when hearing about two guys kissing.

So I guess it depends on the players involved.

(I would miss my variable power pool. Then again, I'm an incompetant normal.)