Escaped Amorphoid

Marcus Impudite

Amorphoids is a name for amorphous creatures more colloquially referred to as "blobs," "slimes," and "goops." A secret cryptozoology research complex in or near Campaign City had one secured in a hermetically-sealed quarantine chamber for study...until last night, when it escaped!

Apparently the staff at the lab made the mistake of assuming their research subject was merely an unintelligent eating machine. Turns out it was in fact intelligent enough to observe the comings and goings of the researchers studying it and figured out the pass code to open the chamber door. It then got out of the complex via the plumbing, and with the time that's passed since, it could be just about anywhere...

WWYCD?

Re: Escaped Amorphoid

Apparently the staff at the lab made the mistake of assuming their research subject was merely an unintelligent eating machine. Turns out it was in fact intelligent enough to observe the comings and goings of the researchers studying it and figured the pass code to open the chamber door. It then got out of the complex via the plumbing, and with the time that's passed since, it could be just about anywhere...

WWYCD?

All my characters: Given that the amorphoid has demonstrated its intelligence, and therefore its entitle to being treated like any other human--or at lesat sentient--being, assuming it doesn't start eating hapless citizens or otherwise causing trouble...they'd do nothing. It was being held unjustly and has now escaped.

Amorphoids is a name for amorphous creatures more colloquially referred to as "blobs," "slimes," and "goops." A secret cryptozoology research complex in or near Campaign City had one secured in a hermetically-sealed quarantine chamber for study...until last night, when it escaped!

Apparently the staff at the lab made the mistake of assuming their research subject was merely an unintelligent eating machine. Turns out it was in fact intelligent enough to observe the comings and goings of the researchers studying it and figured the pass code to open the chamber door. It then got out of the complex via the plumbing, and with the time that's passed since, it could be just about anywhere...

WWYCD?

What, a WWYCD by Marcus Impudite without the Shadow Lord? (or at least a demon) :D

I'll have to figure out my characters on this tomorrow.

Black Tiger - Watch for it. Deal with it if it causes problems. Otherwise, ignore it.

Futurian - "Hmm. Thinking goo. Eh, who cares?" and leaves it alone.

Volt and Olorin - look for it and possibly help it. Intelligent depends. Is it intelligent or self-aware? A smart dog may have been able to get out, or a racoon. Self-aware gets help to maintain it's freedom if not destructive. Destructive gets dealt with as gently as possible. Merely intelligent gets returned if not too destructive - it's property like a dog. Researchers get a lecture at this point. Researchers would be quizzed as to its needs to see where it might be and whether it might be a problem.

Leadman - Talk to researchers about where it might go, its needs, etc. Then go after it and bring it back. If it demonstrates self-awareness and it is not destructive, he helps it.

Quantum - requests all data collected by the staff had collected as well as interviewing the staff to try and determine what type of risk the amorphoid is. He would contact the local authorities as well as the water department and give them the heads up and ask he be informed of any unusual incidents. He would work with the scientist to find a way to humanly capture the amorphoid IF the data reveals there is a threat (ex. how does it reproduce?). If it becomes dangerous, he will work with authorities track it down and take it down.

Stone - Goo? How do I fight goo?

Spectre - If it does not harm innocents, it is not my concern.

What, a WWYCD by Marcus Impudite without the Shadow Lord? (or at least a demon) :D

I'll have to figure out my characters on this tomorrow.

I dunno...it could be Juiblex couldn't it?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary just says dismissively "Oh, that's so Lovecraftian."

Kazemaru would probably be the ONLY character in the group who would think about befriending the creature.

She'd use her super-speed to find it and then try and help it learn how to be a constructive member of super-society.

Best,

-SC

Soulbarb would do some research to see how likely this thing would be to cause problems or otherwise get in trouble if left to its own devices. From there she'll either attempt to track it down or just let it be and keep an ear out for news regarding it, depending on how urgent any potential problems seem to be. She's normally more into mystic problems than alien ones, though, so she's likely to try and scare up some expert assistance if she does go after it.

Sylph would be all for going after the thing and making sure it's alright. The poor thing is probably scared to death! Of course, she has no idea how to track something like that... so finding it could be a challenge. And it's only once the blobby is in front of her that she'll realize that communication could be a problem too... ;)

Depends if it's still an eating machine or not, regardless of intelligence.

In Vitus's vocal opinion ( which might not necessarily be his actual opinion, but merely what he'll say to avoid the likely distraction from his calculation an ooze-hunt will represent )

"So what? Give it a few weeks and Edge City won't have a stray cat problem anymore. And plenty of space in the homeless shelters, too, if I'm any judge. Indeed, if you really want to catch it I'd suggest using some of the latter as bait."

Vitus has done dungeoncrawls, and was quite heartily sick of them after the first five minutes. And at least the subterranean habitats of aura gave you room to swing - modern sewers don't really allow that....

Zero might be able to pick it up - and he'd want to check the other Oozes for telepathic signs of sentience, too.

• 5 weeks later...

"So what? Give it a few weeks and Edge City won't have a stray cat problem anymore. And plenty of space in the homeless shelters' date=' too, if I'm any judge. Indeed, if you really want to catch it I'd suggest using some of the latter as bait."[/indent']

LOL. I'd rep you if I could at the moment.

LOL. I'd rep you if I could at the moment.

Thanks :) Vitus is a asshole, but prefers to appear to be an even bigger one than he actually is. Partly because his friends have a distressing tendency to turn up dead, so he's been avoiding making new ones. And partly because he's a monster of ego.

• 10 months later...

For those who would ask for more info on the creature:

Eating Habits: It's an omnivore with a sweet tooth. Turns out shortly before it departed the lab complex, it got into the 4th floor staffroom vending machines, devoured several candy bars and guzzled about 6 cans of cherry cola before going down the sink. (the surveilance system caught the creature on tape during its sugar binge)

The Guardian would try and track the creature down and use his telepathy to determine if the amorphoid possesses a sentient mind. If it's just a mindless blob, capture and return. If the create is sentient though, he would try to organize an agreement between it and the scientists that would help both. Of course, if the creature is evil, then escape velocity for it.