Super Zeroes

SSgt Baloo

Re: Super Zeroes

Inconspicuous Man

Joe Dokes is an average-looking middle-aged man. So much so that even his wife is hard-pressed to describe him in any detail. Inconspicuous Man's power is to be... well,
inconspicuous
. People he works with every day will recognize him only if they're actually looking at him. Facial recognition software always seems to draw a blank when confronted with his physiognomy. Unless actually looking directly at him, most people quickly forget he's even in the room.

Help me out here, folks. What could this guy do for a living? Note that he is not a villain and that even if he bothered to wear a costume, no-one is likely to accurately remember what he looked like. This extends to film and other media. His image is somewhat ambiguous whether he's viewed by electronic means or photography. People can see somebody in the picture, they can even describe him, but someone looking at the image and then at him would not necessarily know they were the same person. I imagine that he has a difficult time cashing checks even at his own bank. :help:

He does retail security audits. One day the report lands on the manager's desk: fire exits blocked, washroom camera out of service, tobacco and liquor not padlocked, passwords taped to terminals. "Call me --DM." It says at the end. And the poor guy is rubbing his throbbing forehead. Who took these pictures? How come no-one noticed a guy wandering around in sensitive areas, snapping photos?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does retail security audits. One day the report lands on the manager's desk: fire exits blocked' date=' washroom camera out of service, tobacco and liquor not padlocked, passwords taped to terminals. "Call me --DM." It says at the end. And the poor guy is rubbing his throbbing forehead. Who took these pictures? How come no-one noticed a guy wandering around in sensitive areas, snapping photos?[/quote']

Hmmm. If word gets out, every intelligence service on the planet wants him either working for them or dead.

Inconspicuous Man

Joe Dokes is an average-looking middle-aged man. So much so that even his wife is hard-pressed to describe him in any detail. Inconspicuous Man's power is to be... well,
inconspicuous
. People he works with every day will recognize him only if they're actually looking at him. Facial recognition software always seems to draw a blank when confronted with his physiognomy. Unless actually looking directly at him, most people quickly forget he's even in the room.

Help me out here, folks. What could this guy do for a living? Note that he is not a villain and that even if he bothered to wear a costume, no-one is likely to accurately remember what he looked like. This extends to film and other media. His image is somewhat ambiguous whether he's viewed by electronic means or photography. People can see somebody in the picture, they can even describe him, but someone looking at the image and then at him would not necessarily know they were the same person. I imagine that he has a difficult time cashing checks even at his own bank. :help:

Well, he would be excellent at detective dirty-laundry work, process-serving, or spying, as someone else mentioned.

Well' date=' he would be excellent at detective dirty-laundry work, process-serving, or spying, as someone else mentioned.[/quote']

As a Super Zero, I expect a more boring job... some middle management type position in a big corporate entity. He doesn't really work hard (since no one would attribute it to him anyways), but no one can remember who he is for his bad work either. So he just slacks his way through the corporate world.

Adds Up --Joey Smallman does mental arithmetic, and he is never wrong. He's not a lightning calculator, really, but when he does a calculation in his head, it's right, and that can be a pretty formidable talent, if you've ever seen Spock in action.

Since he's a book-keeper, it makes sense that he hangs with the Revengers. He'll do their taxes for them as he sits shotgun in the Quinthopter, keeping the engine warm and working the phones ("No, Mr. Revenger doesn't need his carpets steam cleaned right now, but thanks for calling") while they fight the Sneaky Six across the rooftops of Campaign City.

Sometimes, though, he uses his superpowers to be a great sounding board for superscientific plans, and he has found some pretty surprising uses for his powers when things really get hairy. He has a green belt in tai kwan do, and is working on his first degree black belt.

Everyone agrees that he makes a fine superhero, and he is proud of his skin-hugging uniform, although he always wears a raincoat over it, because it makes him feel self-conscious.

Inspired by a local policeman who has been hospitalized seven times in the line of duty:

Ted was a survivor; folks had always known that. What they didn't know was just what he could survive. So far, it seemed he could survive just about anything. That accident on his grandfather's farm; that nasty wreck in the desert race when he went full-bore into a ravine....

Theodore Spitz has one super power. He can heal from any damage. He has been completely written off by doctors three times in his life-- even pronounced dead two of those times. But as long as there is warmth in his body, he won't die. He just keeps healing, and he does it remarkably quickly. The last time he got his leg shot off, it had grown back in just a couple of months. An eight-inch dagger was removed from his chest once, and his lungs were healed almost before the blood was cleared. Just another couple of days, and there was only the barest hint of a scar.

This is the only power that Theodore has. He has _no_ super defenses other than the bullet proof vest they issue him on the job, and he has no "super will power" or "super pain subversion" that makes it feel any less than what it is. When he gets shot in face, it feels just like getting shot in the face. When he got run down while writing a ticket on the expressway, it was very much what anyone would imagine the experience was like.

The fact is that Ted has endured more pain and more agony than most folks ever could, simply because no matter how bad they hurt him, he just doesn't quite die. He endures, and heals, and gets cleared to return to duty.

He's not a super hero; there's no way he ever could be. Pushing fifty and slightly overweight, his sloping shoulders shortness of breath (why doesn't the cigarette damage heal? Seems like he's grown at least one entire lung, but the morning coughs are still there, and cold mornings burn in his chest like they always did) after moderate exertion keep from even considering himself special.

But Ted's a giver, with no real explanation for what he does save "It seems like a waste not to. Seein's how I got nothin' but this freak talent, if I waste it, then I got nothin' at all."

Today, as every day for the last fifteen years, Ted relies on his talent to face his fears, even in spite of the bone-chilling recollections of every searing neuron from his injuries over the years, and do his job as a hostage negotiator, willing to serve himself up to the craziest of the crazed and fighting hard to never think about just how much more he can take, or wondering if this is the time that they hurt him enough to put him down for good.

Tough Guy: He has somewhat denser muscles and more resilient bones than most people, although not to extreme levels (10 PD, non-resistant). He works as a stunt man and amateur boxer.

The Observer: No powers, but a large collection of surveillance gadgets. He's a PI and security consultant.

The Tribiani Kid and See-Through: Three college freshmen, Dark Haired Bill, the short red Haired Andrew and the blonde Matt in Vibora Bay were taking a walk down the long beach, looking for something interesting to do, rather then return to be ridiculed at the college.

On the beach they found an abandoned lamp, which they picked up and accidentally rubbed releasing a genie (Stop me if you've heard this one before). The genie stroke his white beard and said, "My name is Mar' Kala. For freeing me you may each have one wish."

Stepping up to the plate, Matt grabbed the lamp and said, "I wish there were a hundred hot girls here right now!" The Genie flicked his fingers and the girls appeared on request. What didn't appear however was a cure for Matt's fear of women and a sudden nose bleed knocked him out.

Andrew and Bill fared a little better, so Andrew looked at the girls and then said with his cheeky smile, "I wish I had X-Ray vision so I could see through girl's clothes." The genie smiled and flicked his fingers.

"Granted." Andrew was suddenly surrounded by blue skeletons, as real x-ray vision doesn't let you see through clothes. He then cried in fear when he realised he couldn't turn it off and ran for his life.

Bill looked concerned for his friend and decided to hold onto his wise. The genie disappeared, waiting for the command. Bill then saw a girl stretch while wearing a very tight bikini.

"Man I wish I could just take off bras just by looking at them." He said absentmindedly.

"Granted." And Bill suddenly got a very special gift. Now he's the star of all the Frat parties and can't stop getting invitations. He's loving it, but doesn't have any idea what to do after College.

Andrew on the otherhand, is a runaway who has been trying to find treatment that will let him see normally again. However the only people who will help him are less then reputable who could use X-ray Vision...

Bit long, but I think this went well. Poor Matt got nothing. Someone to give him a power?

Depending on your own tastes in your game, I'd go with a power build along the lines of COM / PRE: only affects women; only to attract women, at zero END, Persistent, Always On, AOE.

Not a great power, but decidedly a power nonetheless. Perfect for a super zero ;)

Leisure Suit Larry:

Short, balding, brash and somewhat homely, Leisure Suit Larry is inexplicably attractive to the opposite sex.

large_alexanderdreyfus.jpg

• 2 months later...

The Son of Morpheus

Not technically a superzero as he has stength and damage resistance comperable to most son of gods charecters. But there is one flaw that makes him a not overly useful superhero. It only works when he's sleepwalking. This dosen't present a problem when he's with his freind who knows to point out the problem then knock him uncounsious. But if he isn't there Morpheus is pretty well useless. And even in godly mode well he is asleep so advanced thinking will require someone else to do it.

Captain Zero: A man with the mysterious ability to reduce one attribute of anything he concentrates upon to zero: contents (things disappear from inside containers), depth or width or height (people become two-dimensional), mass (things become weightless), strength (people collapse), velocity (bullets stop in midair), and so on. This "zero" ability requires a decent amount of concentration and only lasts for 10 seconds, however, so sometimes it has limited utility.

He works as a bank auditor (where everything is supposed to balance to zero), and once stopped a robbery at his bank by making everything in the vault disappear temporarily when the crooks looked inside.

• 5 months later...

Who?

Everything forgotten he remembers, what he tells people know he forgets. Huddled in a small one bedroom apartment he writes his name and birth date over and over again along the walls, fearful that one day his parents may remember they had a son. When he feels brave he picks up the phone. Quick phone calls to people about trinkets they've lost. Once, he tried to call the police but they asked so many questions he couldn't remember where he lived or who he was for almost three months. Even now he still forgets from time to time.

Most often he calls parents, letting them know their children are alright, and where to look when they get lost.

Who?

Everything forgotten he remembers, what he tells people know he forgets. Huddled in a small one bedroom apartment he writes his name and birth date over and over again along the walls, fearful that one day his parents may remember they had a son. When he feels brave he picks up the phone. Quick phone calls to people about trinkets they've lost. Once, he tried to call the police but they asked so many questions he couldn't remember where he lived or who he was for almost three months. Even now he still forgets from time to time.

Most often he calls parents, letting them know their children are alright, and where to look when they get lost.

I have this condition...

The Numerati: A group of people scattered across the world with the ability to:

1) Detect doctored or twisted statistics/accounts.

2) Detect whether there is any conspiracy behind such doctoring.

3) Determine (with effort) what type of conspiracy is involved including likely players

Cassandra. She has the amazing power to always recognize the truth when she hears, sees or reads it. She doesn't know intentional lies from honest mistakes, but she always knows if a statement is true. Unfortunately, she has no special superpowers of persuasion, and people want to believe what they want to believe, so everyone pretty much ignores her.

Daddy Long Legs and Gloworm:

Daddy Long Legs has the ability to lengthen and shorten his arms and legs by up to a couple of feet. This gives him a slight advantage in hand to hand combat but nothing that would make him a threat to one of the Capes. His adopted son is:

Gloworm

Gloworm has the power to generate light, up the intensity of a 40 watt bulb. His legs are also fuzed together, making him unable to walk.

Adequate Man. He's adequate, in every area of human knowledge and performance. Plays every sport as well as an adequate but not spectacular professional player. Fights as well as a solid but not exceptional fighter, in every martial art and style. He's an adequate pollymath; a good-enough mechanic, scientist (in every field), physician, computer programmer, hacker, etc. You'd think he'd be able to do some amazing stuff by mixing the best of several styles / fields, but unfortunately he's only adequate.

He'd like to join a Super Team, and might turn out to be pretty handy as support staff.

Parking Meter Man

Devin Sorkus has a rather strange ability, he is able to reset timers, any timer. Although he lacked the flash of other heroes he has worked closely with Bomb Disposal teams in his area. In his spair time Devin tries to be a good Samaritan walking most places he always resets the timers on parking meters he sees to give people just a few more minutes to get things done.

nice, have some rep