Looking for ideas - Silver-age villain group

Deadborder

For something I'm working on, I'm looking to assemble a deliberately cheesy Silver-Age villain group, somewhat inspired by Marvel's Masters of Evil. The idea is that the characters don't have a common theme or gimmick, they're jsut a bunch of evil guys working together - again, very MoE. So far I have four members, but I'm looking for one or two more, as well as suggestions for htem or their powers.

Doctor Defenestrator - The leader of the team; a powerful Telekenetic who seems to be motivated by gradiose supervillainy for the simple sake of it. Bombastic and overconfident

Mind Master - Second in command, a powerful mentallist who wants to take over the world (or, at the very least, reduce its population to his obedient mindless drone slaves)

Mysteria, the Queen of Outer Space - A green skinned space babe in a bikini; wants to take over the earth so she can use its superhumans to conquer Outer Space. Not sure what her powers should be.

Baron Gorilla - A Gorilla with a Jetpack. Again, not sure what other powers he should have.

I figute the gorup could use one or two more members; possibly a guy with a Death Ray, but I'm looking for other suggestions.

Re: Looking for ideas - Silver-age villain group

Well the gorilla should be a super genius with a ray gun as well...Maybe from OUTER SPACE, maybe Mysteria's (not so?) loyal servent

an evil dopplegander to one of your heroes(Take a hero, turn them villain, change a couple details, think Venom to spiderman, or Bizzaro to superman)

For teams like this I like to have an "out" some way for if the battle goes bad for the heroes they have someone who can help them out on the otherside. normaly I use an "Honorable warrior" type "You are defeated, I leave you now so that in the future you can give us a decent fight"blah blah blah

"I have a fancy weapon" guy is always good. like the Melter or Weather Wizard, etc. Death Ray guy could fit here. Maybe a transmuter with an elemental ray, who still somehow feels the need to rob banks and such even though he can, you know, turn stuff to gold. "Captain Alchemy" or somesuch.

A brick is always handy, especially a not always too bright one like Bizarro or Solomon Grundy. Maybe "Atomuck", nuclear powered pile of goo.

You need at least one really overspecialized weapons/gadget man.

How about "MVP" aka Most Villainous Player? He is built around a baseball theme & can catch anything in his mit, throw baseballs with unerring accuracy, and plans to steal your home.

If you are going retro you might want a "evil foreigner", but to make it work use a country we are pretty Ok with these days. Like Russia.

For something I'm working on' date=' I'm looking to assemble a deliberately cheesy Silver-Age villain group, somewhat inspired by Marvel's [b']Masters of Evil[/b]. The idea is that the characters don't have a common theme or gimmick, they're jsut a bunch of evil guys working together - again, very MoE. So far I have four members, but I'm looking for one or two more, as well as suggestions for htem or their powers.

Probably the best way to approach a Masters of Evil-style team is to build it as an evil version of the PC team. Which isn't to say that the villains should be evil twins of the heroes but that each member should correspond to one of the heroes.

So start with your PC's and have each member be a kind of arch enemy to one of the members of your heroteam.

For example, in the original Masters of Evil, you had Baron Zemo as Cap's enemy, The Melter as Iron Man's enemy, The Black Knight as Ant-Man and the Wasp's enemy and Radioactive Man as Thor's enemy.

One thing that could be fun is to build each villain to specifically target one of the PC's. If, say one of your PC's has a vulnerability to flame, then Baron Von Blowtorch should be able to take him easily, If another one has a fear of spiders, Tarantula Man will make short work of him and if one has a code of chivalry and won't hit a woman, he'll be easy pickings for Queen Seductra of the Malevolent Moon-People.

Hopefully, after handing your players a beat-down, you can encourage them to work on their teamwork, or switch up partners next time, which is a classic comics 'bit'.

So if you give us an idea of your PC's, we should be able to offer more substantial help.

Another common thread for this type of group is that, while there should be a leader, squabbles amongst the team as to who should be leader. A Masters of Evil-style team is usually not the most rock-solid structure, and petty bickering and inter-team rivalry should be a factor.

You need at least one really overspecialized weapons/gadget man.

If you are going retro you might want a "evil foreigner", but to make it work use a country we are pretty Ok with these days. Like Russia.

Canada!

Le Beavair isn't working right now! (Beaver-themed powered armour, and, of course, "Le Castor" is vaguely more accurate.)

Or, Lumberjack! Although a chainsaw or double-bitted axe might be too edgy...

parts of speech gang:

verb is the gadgeteer. (make, do, achieve, bind, grasp)

noun is the brick. (fist, wall, explosion, concussion)

pronoun is the martial artist. (you, him, this, there)

adjective is the psychic. (weak, fearful, sleepy)

adverb is the speedster. (through, by, towards, over)

preposition is the mentalist. (before, without, across, concerning, versus)

interjection is the energy projector. (cheerio, crikey, eureka, gesundheit, yoiks)

conjunction is the weaponeer. (both, because, however, until)

or something like that. YMMV.

Mysteria, the Queen of Outer Space - A green skinned space babe in a bikini; wants to take over the earth so she can use its superhumans to conquer Outer Space. Not sure what her powers should be.

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HDqX_d4N2Y

I say Duplication, Martial Arts, Striking Appearance, high levels of Seduction, poison perfume and sleep dust (maybe a gas gun?), along with some kind of Mind Link between the duplicates.

Having Baron Gorilla be the team's gadgeteer is a good option. Silver Age groups always seemed to like having human-animal hybrids around, so other animal-based concepts could work, or insect-based ones too. Behold the venomous tyranny of Doctor Mantis, master of insects, who blended his own DNA with that of a mantis.

For a Silver Age group, you also have to think how serious you want things to be, or if you're going for more of a campy "Bwa ha ha!" sort of feel.

Having Baron Gorilla be the team's gadgeteer is a good option. Silver Age groups always seemed to like having human-animal hybrids around' date=' so other animal-based concepts could work, or insect-based ones too. Behold the venomous tyranny of [b']Doctor Mantis[/b], master of insects, who blended his own DNA with that of a mantis.

For a Silver Age group, you also have to think how serious you want things to be, or if you're going for more of a campy "Bwa ha ha!" sort of feel.

Since he went for deliberately silly names, I'm pretty he's already decided that.

Facethief ... He can shapeshift to just about any normal human appearance, and mimic others' voices as well. Add in enough Persuasion (or, perhaps, Mind Control) to be able to fool anyone while face-to-face into accepting him as who he claims and give him the money/documents/whatever he's asking for.

Probably not real useful in combat (he'll surrender when confronted by any super), but diabolical for behind-the-scenes fraud, and the ever-popular "impersonate a hero" bad guy trope.

Having Baron Gorilla be the team's gadgeteer is a good option. Silver Age groups always seemed to like having human-animal hybrids around' date=' so other animal-based concepts could work, or insect-based ones too. Behold the venomous tyranny of [b']Doctor Mantis[/b], master of insects, who blended his own DNA with that of a mantis.

dr silverbacks evil twin

An absurd musician like the Pied Piper or the Fiddler from DC Comics.

A music instrument used as weapon, to hypnotize, or do anything you can do with 'Vibrations', like force fields, explosions, desolidification, or dimensional travel. ;-)

In that vein, I recommend "Captain Cello" or "The Cellist". If you want something more portable, *heh* and its set in a more modern age than the actual Silver-age, then how about "Kommander Keytar"?

I figute the gorup could use one or two more members; possibly a guy with a Death Ray' date=' but I'm looking for other suggestions.[/quote']

Looks like you're working on a Five Man Band. Doc Defenestrator is the leader, and the Mind Master is the Lancer. Mysteria could be the Chick, but making her the Big Guy would be an interesting twist. Baron Gorilla could be the Big Guy (if Mysteria isn't), or he could be the Smart Guy (maybe a Genius Bruiser - he is a gorilla, after all).

As for a name (and powers), let me suggest Chlorophyll, Queen of the Plants.

A music instrument used as weapon, to hypnotize, or do anything you can do with 'Vibrations', like force fields, explosions, desolidification, or dimensional travel. ;-)

In that vein, I recommend "Captain Cello" or "The Cellist". If you want something more portable, *heh* and its set in a more modern age than the actual Silver-age, then how about "Kommander Keytar"?

The Discordianist, with his perfidious piano-accordian.

Definatly give Baron Gorlilla a jet pack, and ray blaster.Perhaps his hightened intellegnce was caused by Mysteria and they have an Enchantress/ Executioner relationship

So we have the Telekinetic, Mentalist, Space woman in a bikini with odd alien powers, and the hyperintellegent ape with gizmos.

Whats missing

the weaponeer so

Perfection the child of old world royalty who is beauty, intellegence, and just plain better than everyone else. With their fighting skill, and deadly weapons they will soon teach these upstart fools to whom the world rightfully belongs

A speedster

As your going with a silver age theme how about the Silver Streak?

Assuming you don't go the tough guy route with Baron Gorrillia you need

The tough guy

Crusher a bully who likes to pick on people smaller than him. Running from the police he hid in a scientist's labratory. Asking the scientist about the equipment hen only heard two words make stronger. What left the lab was a man who is still a bully, but nowm sees the rest of the world as victims.

Anyway hope that helps.

A cello ? Nah, not silly enough. How about a double base, or an organ (Mobile giant pipe organ preferably) or a piano accordian or maybe an organ grinder with a clever monkey companion (who may, or may not be the REAL brains of the operation !).. Maybe Jane Rutter (the flautist) as a sexy female version of "The Pied Piper" or how about "Neq the Glockenspiel" (from the Piers Anthony novel "Neq The Sword") with a glockenspiel for a left hand !