CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Back on topic....

With the written-out "Plot Seeds" gone, we now have the possibilities of more frequently using Sidebars for other things. I've spent the last few days trying to come up with ideas for that, with a little success (which is probably about as much as is needed):

1. For the Groups, and possibly one or two of the Masterminds, you could list individuals from the Solo Villains book who could join the group, and under what circumstances, if the GM wants to expand the roster.

2. For most villain characters creating a "lighter" version, "heroic" version, inversion of type (technological vs magical), or other alternate version of a specific type is fairly straightforward. For a few, the approach may seem less obvious. A sidebar on some of the characters for how to do this, whether the GM wants to change the tone of the game or is just sending the PCs to an alternate universe, could be handy -- probably no more than one or two in each book for each type of change. These should mainly be things that are, as I said, not necessarily obvious but simple to implement (such as "Black Paladin could easily be made into a technological powered-armor character with just a couple of changes to the character sheet, and these changes to his origin"). Of course I'm not really expecting this to be implemented, but I'd be very pleasantly surprised.

On an entirely different note, I'd like to see the paragraph(s) in each character's Campaign Use section that describes "how to make this character more/less powerful" to be worded in such a way as to also give the GM clues as to how to spend Experience Points the character gets. By similar token, a reminder in each book's Introduction to give the villains Experience Points, and general advice on how they should be spent, would also be helpful. As a GM that's been one of my most oft-forgotten tasks.

1. For the Groups' date=' and possibly one or two of the Masterminds, you could list individuals from the Solo Villains book who could join the group, and under what circumstances, if the GM wants to expand the roster.[/quote']Ooh, suggested roster changes. Nifty idea.

You mean' date=' aside from that whole "Gestalt" thing? :sneaky:[/quote']

I'm just waiting on art at the moment. When that gets to me, I can put the Hero version to bed and do the Superlink version when M&M3 is out.

There are no other writing projects on my desk at this time, and none are in the planning stages.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Steve,

A quick question about these books.

Will they all be coming out at once, or will they be released one at a time (say like one a month over three months)?

Will they all be coming out at once, or will they be released one at a time (say like one a month over three months)?

They'll be released roughly one a month over three months.

Releasing them all at one time would (a) strain our credit line at the printer, if not shatter it into teeny-tiny fragments, and (B) strain many of our customers' ability to keep up with the latest releases.

Once they're all out I have no doubt Darren, Jason, and Tina will come up with some sort of nifty bundle deal for the lot, but releasing them all at once just wouldn't work out well. :hex:

IME, the first villains books to come out for an edition seem to set the standard for character writeups in not just future product, but also a lot of game groups. If writeup X is kosher for Villain A, you're likely to see X pop up on more than a few player character sheets.

IME, the first villains books to come out for an edition seem to set the standard for character writeups in not just future product, but also a lot of game groups. If writeup X is kosher for Villain A, you're likely to see X pop up on more than a few player character sheets.

Yes, that's very true; it's just human nature, really. That's why we're releasing Champions Villains as three volumes based around character type over just a couple months, rather than (for example) one villain book covering an assortment of villains per year for three years.

I'd love to see a revamp and update for the group C.L.O.W.N. ! I like the fact that they are out to shake things up and freak out the straights, but don't want to hurt anyone and won't take or break anything with sentimental value. There aren't enough fun villain groups out there. Every so often you need some comic relief in a campaigns. C.L.O.W.N. fills this role beautifully.

Grimble, you may not be aware that Steve Long has made his feelings about CLOWN clear in more than one post. (I.e. a solo comic relief villain like Foxbat is fine; a whole team of them is overkill IHO.) I feel very confident in saying that short of an explicit edict from Cryptic Studios to include them, CLOWN will not appear in another published Champions book unless Steve resigns or dies. ;)

Didnt read the whole thread

But I would love to see the Zodiac conspiracy updated :)

For my part, apology accepted. It is pretty lengthy. :)

Unfortunately, Hero Games doesn't own the rights to Doug Shuler's Zodiac group, so they won't be republished in the foreseeable future.

I can assert definitively that Hero Games, and therefore now Cryptic Studios, owns the rights to Professor Muerte; because they gave me permission to update the character for issue #44 of their electronic magazine, Digital Hero.

Now, whether that or any other version of Muerte appears in Champions Online is really up to Cryptic, because Steve Long has written he has no desire to bring him back.

Never said it did. :) But as Keldon's request was for the "Zodiac conspiracy' date='" I wanted to clarify that that particular group/adventure is off the table.[/quote']

Oh no!

Guess I will have dig up the old books and convert them, Hero designer should make my life easier :D

I can assert definitively that Hero Games' date=' and therefore now Cryptic Studios, owns the rights to Professor Muerte; because they gave me permission to update the character for issue #44 of their electronic magazine, [i']Digital Hero[/i].

Now, whether that or any other version of Muerte appears in Champions Online is really up to Cryptic, because Steve Long has written he has no desire to bring him back.

He always seemed like a "Destroyer-lite" for new heroes to tangle with.

Which sort-of redundancy I think is one reason why Steve didn't want to use him again (plenty of other distinctive "second tier" master villains in the current CU), and what I tried to get away from in my reboot of the character.

Sadly, with Shadow Destroyer in continuity, my Muerte could once again be seen as "Destroyer lite." :(

(But maybe we should stop derailing Steve's WDYWTS thread.) :o

Professor Muerte always seemed like a "Destroyer-lite" for new heroes to tangle with.

I always preferred using him instead of Dr. D. What's scarier -- a megavillain, or a megavillain fanboy?

How about a Female Mastermind?

Why should Istava V'ahn be the only female mastermind in the New CU?

Well, Gravitar is officially classified as a "master villain." She hasn't been very subtly "mastermind" about it, but there are implications she's learning. The Duchess could certainly be used as a mastermind within the envelope of VIPER; and Brangomar the Shadow Queen qualifies, within slightly limited parameters.