CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

Steve Long

Re: CHAMPIONS VILLAINS -- What Do *You* Want To See?

When I used Professor Muerte, one of my super team so often frustrated and humiliated him that he subjected himself to both the Feur and Giganto procedure to give himself the power to get his revenge. Lots of power but couldn't stand on anything but specially treated floor panels without slagging the ground beneath him. One sacrifice throw later and Muerte was headed for the center of the planet.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

How about a Advance Villian Handbook section (expanding on whats in the Champions book) with ideas on buliding and running different types of villians.

This is an excellent idea.

Finding ways to make villains interesting seems hard lately, especially when, if looking for recent examples from The Big 2 for plot and story ideas, the villains seem spawned from The Dark Age of comics and don't seem to cover the wide variety seen in previous editions of Champions. Previous editions seemed to have been influenced by the Silver and Bronze Ages, so it'd be great to have some guides to reflect that. Some recent comics seem to offer more hyper-violence as examples of villainy; it'd be nice to offer alternates to that style of story-telling.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, either in this thread or in one of the other sourcebooks, but might there be alternate rules for setting up a Thieves' Guild setup for a modern or superhero setting?

I even came across this article, almost by happenstance, while I was looking for something else: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeirdTradeUnion

The article even mentions the old Serpent Society with its guaranteed salaries, medical benefits and such. I also recall an old issue of G.I.Joe where COBRA forces were cheering over getting better benefits. Plus, with the recent re-formation of the Secret Society of Super-Villains, I always wondered what sort of benefits Luthor offered to keep people loyal (other than not being killed, that is!).

Not sure if an article like this would have a place in CHAMPIONS VILLAINS... Something like it wouldn't have been out of place in the old Adventurer's Club magazine. It could be explored as a Forum thread, but it'd be quickly lost over time and hard to find. Still, just a thought...

Not sure if this has been mentioned before' date=' either in this thread or in one of the other sourcebooks, but might there be alternate rules for setting up a Thieves' Guild setup for a modern or superhero setting?[/quote']

Well, the modern equivalent of the Thieves' Guild would be organized crime. In a high-powered setting, this would be VIPER (which has 4e and 5e sourcebooks) or similar. In Dark Champions or Pulp Hero, this would be the Mafia or other gangs.

Grimble' date=' you may not be aware that Steve Long has made his feelings about CLOWN clear in more than one post. (I.e. a solo comic relief villain like Foxbat is fine; a whole team of them is overkill IHO.) I feel very confident in saying that short of an explicit edict from Cryptic Studios to include them, CLOWN will not appear in another published Champions book unless Steve resigns or dies. ;)[/quote']

I am aware of Mr. Longs ill will towards C.L.O.W.N. I do feel I should tell you who *I*really want to see revamped. I guess I'll have to write up the 6th Ed versions of the Criminal Legion of Wacky Nonconfomists on my own.

I am aware of Mr. Longs ill will towards C.L.O.W.N. I do feel I should tell you who *I*really want to see revamped. I guess I'll have to write up the 6th Ed versions of the Criminal Legion of Wacky Nonconfomists on my own.

I'm with you on C.L.O.W.N.. It was my 2nd favorite supplement behind The Great Supervillian Contest. Both should be updated to 6E.

I wouldn't mind a CLOWN update provided the objective was to provide a group of characters, and GM tips and scenarios, for light hearted super hero adventures. The problem with CLOWN was that they were too easily rendered into an exercise in humiliating the chartacters and frustrating the players. A group of a dozen light-hearted villains should not need, or have, half of their number possessing powers that force the heroes to do silly or whimsical things against their will. They should possess abilities which allow them to be sillly and whimsical, with the heroes reacting as they see fit.

The problem with CLOWN was that they were too easily rendered into an exercise in humiliating the chartacters and frustrating the players. A group of a dozen light-hearted villains should not need, or have, half of their number possessing powers that force the heroes to do silly or whimsical things against their will. They should possess abilities which allow them to be sillly and whimsical, with the heroes reacting as they see fit.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, though that's not my main objection to CLOWN.

I wouldn't mind a CLOWN update provided the objective was to provide a group of characters' date=' and GM tips and scenarios, for light hearted super hero adventures. The problem with CLOWN was that they were too easily rendered into an exercise in humiliating the chartacters and frustrating the players. A group of a dozen light-hearted villains should not need, or have, half of their number possessing powers that force the heroes to do silly or whimsical things against their will. They should possess abilities which allow them to be sillly and whimsical, with the heroes reacting as they see fit.[/quote']

Well...most players won't play along in these types of scenarios(silly and whimsical as you put it). They tend to treat them like standard bad guys and beat the snot out of them...which defeats the point of this "flavor" of bad guy...if you ask me.

Well...most players won't play along in these types of scenarios(silly and whimsical as you put it). They tend to treat them like standard bad guys and beat the snot out of them...which defeats the point of this "flavor" of bad guy...if you ask me.

A Bat-Mite or Mr. Mxylplytk(sic) type villain might work better--say, a mischievous but powerful faerie with a ludicrously large VPP who the players can't easily beat, but have to find a way to foil or trick into meeting the condition that banishes him back home.

A Bat-Mite or Mr. Mxylplytk(sic) type villain might work better--say' date=' a mischievous but powerful faerie with a ludicrously large VPP who the players can't easily beat, but have to find a way to foil or trick into meeting the condition that banishes him back home.[/quote']

Ah yes....definitely agree here. I liked when Mr. M showed up on the Super Friends cartoons...though he wasn't all that whimsical on them...to be honest.

A Bat-Mite or Mr. Mxylplytk(sic) type villain might work better--say' date=' a mischievous but powerful faerie with a ludicrously large VPP who the players can't easily beat, but have to find a way to foil or trick into meeting the condition that banishes him back home.[/quote']

As long as the focus of the scenario isn't "humiliate the PCs, directly or indirectly, until they find the One True Solution to the puzzle". Each half of that statement is bad GMing; put together... well, lets just be reminded that two wrongs never make a right.

A Bat-Mite or Mr. Mxylplytk(sic) type villain might work better--say, a mischievous but powerful faerie with a ludicrously large VPP who the players can't easily beat, but have to find a way to foil or trick into meeting the condition that banishes him back home.

AAMOF, I've always thought the CU lacked such a villain... and I'll be correcting that oversight in CV3. ;)

Are the players interested in these types of scenarios? If so, then the players should reasonably play along. If not, then why is the GM railroading them into such a scenario? The game is about what all the players, GM included, want, not just about what the GM wants. If the players do not want to play a game with silly/whimsical villains (or choose your own adjectives) and scenarios, then they are not likely to react well, or play along with, such scenarios. Similarly, some players like a game that is morally clear-cut black & white, and we would not suggest the GM place their CVK characters in a "kill one for the good of all" scenario.

If the GM wants the game to be more lighthearted in tone, that should be discussed with the players, not forced on them over their bitter protests.

Who said inspiration never comes from the boards?

I would never say that, because it often does. But that wasn't where I got the idea for this particular character; keep in mind that I had to outline Champions Villains and decide who went into each book months ago. I've had this guy (the Incubus, he's called) in mind for quite a while, just waiting to unleash him upon y'all. :eg:

I hope that I'm not repeating an already asked question. Are there going to be preview sections of the various 6E books like there were for 5E. I really hope so because that's how I made up my mind on whether or not to buy six or seven of the 5E books.