The Collapse Of Dark Realm

Marcus Impudite

Your character has just been involved in an epic battle for the fate of the Multiverse...in Dark Realm, the domain of the Shadow Lord no less.

The dark one has been vanquished, the Heart Of The Abyss gemstone that was both the source of his power and the true core of his being is smashed into shards. But no sooner does His Royal Spookiness go poof from existence than all of Dark Realm begins to tremor. That's right, it turns out the Shadow Lord was a load-bearing boss.

As your character and company flee for their lives, The Palace of Eternal Shadow, the jagged mountain of black stone it sat atop, and the surrounding area are all beginning to crumble. All around them, Shadow Wraiths and assorted other former minions of the Shadow Lord are either perishing as their dimension is coming apart at the seams, or opening Shadow Gates in an attempt to escape. Mere meters ahead, a gaggle of Shadowings and Lesser Wraiths have opened a gate and gone through. It looks like your character and his/her comrades might just make it in before it closes if they go for broke. The catch is, they have no way to know for sure what destination the wraiths selected when they opened the gate, so it's luck of the draw as far as where they'll come out on the other side...

WWYCD?

Re: The Collapse Of Dark Realm

Well, this is kind of like the orginal Planet of the Apes when they crash landed in the lake. With the water coming in they checked to see the air was breathable.:confused:

So Badger and Frosty Bob are going for it. If they stay they KNOW they are screwed, so at least go down trying. (both can be reckless in their own ways anyhow, so it would be in character.)

Knight Rider: She would have had trouble with the whole adventure, not being the type to believe in magic. "What is with all this magic crap? This can't be real. But, regardless, going through that portal can't be worse than staying in what is soon going to be the wrong side of the event horizon. I wonder if my tachyon scanner can get any readings from a magical (I mean really, magic? Are we sure it aint just strange alien technology?) portal?"

Dark Star (yeah not very original, my first supers character from when I was about 15 and first got a copy of the the old FASERIP Marvel game.) Actually got his powers from being thrown into the Dark Dimension by a magi-tech accident. He'd suspect the Dark Realm is just a small part of the Dark Dimension he remembers and that the collpase would send him back to what he calls the Dark Dimension. And there's NO WAY IN HELL he's going back there. So, lacking any dimesnional movement powers of his own, he'd be on the tail of those shadowings faster than a cheetah on catnip. He'd rather freeze in outer space, at least that'd be quick.

Super Model would fly through the gate and hope she could find a way back to Earth from there.

Earth Girl probably wouldn't have been on this sort of dimensional jaunt in the first place, as virtually all her powers disappear off-planet. If kept here under duress by the villain, she'd stick with the rest of the group and let someone else make the call.

Kurzhaan the Conqueror might leap through the gate, or just pause for a moment to arrange a more reliable dimensional transport home. Depends on how imminent the surrounding terrain going kablooey! looks to be.

Young Scratch would make a snide comment about not building things to last being a sign of poor workmanship as he opens his own gate to the netherworld and jumps in.

Blue Streak would run like hell (and she can run fast) for the portal, hoping that it leads somewhere where there's a breathable atmosphere, since she knows she's a goner if she stays there. Lack of gravity, etc she'll just have to deal with as it comes.

What she's doing there and not in Las Vegas which her normal beat is another question. She considers herself to be a "street-level" hero and doesn't like to be away from Abi, her girlfriend, for too long.

All of my characters except Olorin would go through the portal, as there really is no choice.

Volt would shrug and go. Black Tiger would curse and go. Leadman would mutter about being doomed and go. Futurian - Could say about anything silly and go. Examples: "Banzai!" "Geronimo!" "Exit stage left." "Off we go, into the wild blue yonder." "Fly you fools! Fly!"

If in another dimension (like the Dark Realm), Olorin would have a gate opening spell ready to go at a seconds notice. That is, unless he had his VPP all alocated (unlikely). Then he'd go into the portal. Once on the other side, its a matter of a few hours before he can do his own spell. If he went he'd say "Yet another dimension. Wonder if I've been there before."

Stormwalker would not panic, having expected this. He would exert his powers of atmospheric and electromagnetic control to the utmost, creating a bubble of stable air and energy around himself, suspended in its center, holding a ball of lightning to provide light.

When the environment had been reduced to wisps and fragments, having achieved the stability of metaphysical rubble, he would begin patiently reconstructing it in a more benign form.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary heads for the portal

I don't understand the question. The GM has given my character only one escape route from certain doom. Sometimes you just have to ride that railroad.

Yeah, pretty much. I suppose the right group could try to weather the collapse and dig their way out, or just try to run away to somewhere else ... but generally, you're gonna take the portal.

Well, Domino, my sorceress would just create her own portal to get herself back home, plus she's powerful enough that it could carry her friends (ie: my version of the Champions) as well.

"Hey," she'd say, "What's the point of being Sorceress Supreme if you don't have XDM spells up your sleeve, eh?"

I agree. One character of mine (Starguard) has enough mystic power to open her own D-gate out; everybody else is going to have to run for the portal and take their chances.

Kaian would first estimate how much time before the dimension collapsed, though, and if there were enough minutes left to kidney punch a shadow wraith until it felt truly repentant and wanted to reset the gate to a specific destination of his choice, he'd do that. Otherwise, he'd take potluck and like it.

All my characters would jump in the hole, but none would be happy about it. Vitus would probably make some comment along the lines of understanding why the late villain had a Spite protocol, but resenting the way in also affects the people who are only involved under duress. i.e. himself.

Drhoz. . . what's a Sprite protocol?

Spite, not Sprite. "If I Can't Have It, No-One Will" - any set-up that ensures if the Big Bad goes down so does his entire Secret Volcano Base, Battle Station, Dungeon Dimension, etc. I suppose you could also call it a House of Usher Protocol.

Well, at first thought I'd go through the portal of course...

but at second thought, my casual Damsel Brick (use Brick House the nice Lucious made for me as an example) would stop and stay behind to cover the retreat of her friends.

And facing what is going to rest for the Shadow Realm, she'll decide to stay, as A guardian,and maybe a Mighty Queen of this place to be sure to kick the Shadow Lord ass with his own armies he ever comes back.

After all, I always wanted to be a princess, so not try to be a Queen :P

And it makes a drama story, that I love