Strongbow's Art Thread!

Fred Lang

***Posted this elsewhere, and it was immediately noted by a forumite that this post belongs here.***

I'm a comic book artist living in San Francisco, trying to hit the big time in 2011. Figured I'd introduce myself down here with an art thread. Here's my newest piece.

"DOOM DEMANDS YOU CROSS SAFELY" is my entry into the SKETCH Magazine contest this month, which asks for art depicting a favorite villain doing something heroic or nice. So here's DOOM directing traffic as a crossing guard for kids.

Of course, DOOM does not stoop to actually holding a sign (though he did agree to wear the dorky reflective vest--hmm...), so his DOOMbots flash the "STOP" sign for him, complete with flashing lights...and an explosive mine function if anyone disobeys him.

This is my first-ever ink job with Manga Studio EX4. I can't describe to you the joy of using this program. Truly a comic book artist's dream.

doom_demands_you_cross_safely_by_fr3d_l4ng-d38fq46.jpg

Re: Strongbow's Art Thread!

Strongbow: Do you have a website or a gallery of other art? If so' date=' could you post the link so we can enjoy your artwork, and also maybe get you some more recognition and maybe art commissions if you're interested...[/quote']

BOLO (Be On the Look Out?), my DeviantArt page is HERE. You won't find a great deal of material there, and here's why:

A few months ago, I left a 15-year career in law enforcement (I was lieutenant in the Houston Police Department) to move to San Francisco and concentrate fully on getting into the comics industry full-time. What you *will* see is my progression as I jump forward by leaps and bounds beyond what you see today. I have an entire library of drawing / storytelling / inking / coloring / etc. etc. etc. material that I haven't read yet, so you ain't seen nothin' yet! *haha*

I'm completely open to commissioned work, with the caveat that I have 7 comic book conventions set to attend in 2011, and each will require additions and tweaks to my portfolio until I find permanent work with one of the larger studios.

I'm kinda on a mission. *heh*

I have been contacted in the last few days about larger, paying projects (multiple issues of comics work) by editors, so I can't guarantee my time will be available for anything beyond single-page pieces of moderate complexity.

I really enjoy what I've seen of the HERO community so far, and I'd like the opportunity to contribute to HERO in some way--indirectly or directly.

I only work in black and white--at least until I learn how to color in Photoshop!

I'm very happy you like the stuff so far...I work toward getting better every single day.

--Strongbow (Fred)

• 5 months later...

Thanks, all.

I'm happy to report that my comics aspirations will be put on hold just a bit, because I got hired by HASBRO last week to draw for their Star Wars line. That means I'll get paid very well to geek out on Star Wars every day. Just...wow.

I think the time I get to spend on HERO just increased a bit. It'll be nice to have longer deadlines and non-sequential projects to work on. I'll be spending my time with Hasbro working on my digital painting skills, 3D modeling (then painting over those models), etc.--so this is a dream job in every way.

Woot! Check out a sample of the portfolio I sent to Hasbro to make them like me. It worked.

3e53a1818d7a7af5338e369954039eac-d3kpoen.jpg

but my favorite detail is the boy with the Fantastic Four logo on his shirt. Priceless!

There is also the boy with the Spiderman-Sticker, the girl could be somethign too (perhaps a Secret ID; why else so many uses of Band Aid?) and the driver to the right looks like a young Wolverine (he has the hair).

Woot! Check out a sample of the portfolio I sent to Hasbro to make them like me. It worked.

3e53a1818d7a7af5338e369954039eac-d3kpoen.jpg

That looks really good.

• 7 months later...

In order to practice painting 3D models in Photoshop, I designed an ElectroMag Sport Bike today in Google SketchUp Pro 8. I love creating tech that looks like it might actually work, even if I have to fudge the science to get there. If you're interested in this kind of concept work, I've included a brief description for each view of the bike with my thoughts on how my imaginary bike would operate.I cobbled together the 3D elements of 5 sport bikes, a hover car and a turbine engine for this design. Next, the model will be painted in 2D in various color schemes, etc. for digital painting practice.I imagined a bike powered by electromagnetism, with only an electric "push" to get the opposing magnets inside the turbine-like engine to rotate, causing a sort of "perpetual motion" reaction that powers the bike.electromag_sport_bike_1_by_fr3d_l4ng-d4qr6ve.jpgFrom this view, you can see the multiple storage / balancing motors that ensure even, safe power from the magnetic turbine. Without these, the mass-to-power ratio would be very dangerous! Please do not disable any of the balancing relays--manufacturer is not liable for death or injury resulting from excessive speed!electromag_sport_bike_2_by_fr3d_l4ng-d4qr720.jpgNote that the single-fork design never actually touches the wheels. This is due to the magnetic bond that keeps the wheels at a specified distance in a frictionless magnetic relationship to the forks, which emit a constantly fluctuating "roll" of magnetism that propels the opposing magnets in the wheels. This also eliminates the need for a power train in the traditional sense--no chain, etc. needed. Everything is electronically controlled.electromag_sport_bike_3_by_fr3d_l4ng-d4qr764.jpgNote the front-end of the magnetic coil turbine just behind the front wheel. In a retail market version, a screen would likely need to be erected to keep water and soil out of the inner relays.As the turbine itself makes very little noise, the manufacturer offers six different operating sounds to choose from. You can also upload your own personal "engine" sounds via any personal holographic music player.electromag_sport_bike_4_by_fr3d_l4ng-d4qr7a8.jpgThough the "single fork" design may appear unbalanced, the natural pull of the magnetic field the bike emits provides the balance for the rider. An operator would not feel any difference in balance between this bike and a traditional two-fork design so long as the engine is operating. Care should be taken when pushing the bike while the engine is not on--remain in control of the bike at all times!electromag_sport_bike_5_by_fr3d_l4ng-d4qr7eu.jpg