Religion in Science-Fiction?

Ragitsu

Re: Religion in Science-Fiction?

I think what Ragitsu meant was that there are "weak" believers who only say "there must be a god"' date=' because "science can't explain X" (yet).[/quote']

Possibly, but I've never known any such. That's an atheistic supposition that drives believers crazy, just like the reverse supposition ("atheists reject the clear evidence of a god because they don't want to believe in a god") drives atheists crazy. Both suppositions falsely assume the "other" is like oneself and reasons the same way. But they are apples and oranges, I think for the most part they cannot understand each others' reasoning.

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going to war has nothing to do with it. Opressing people with Religion/Tradition/Pseudo-Religious "Higher cause" as justification is what we are takling about.

You just contradicted yourself, since going to war has everything to do with it. War is one of the oldest tools of oppression.

However, all I was really saying was that just because a religion advocates non-violence or whathaveyou, that doesn't necessarily mean that it will be so when believers get involved. This was to address the authority/Authority religion issue that was raised, and I feel, resolved.

Greek - they kinda made their gods to make their deeds the acceptable norm. Their gods and the roman ones (who copied them practicall 1:1), are the only gods I know of who are examples on adultry and homosexuality.

If you are actively looking for other examples, check Egyptian and Sumero-Babylonian.

Lucius Alexander

Just don't look at the palindromedary

There's rather a long list of pantheons of deities who engaged in scandalous behavior. Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Norse, Sumerian, Chinese(Monkey King ring a bell?), Japanese, Aztec, etc. Keep in mind that mythmakers not only want to explain things, they want to tell entertaining stories. If the gods are perfect in every way, why is the world imperfect?

Like Founding Fatherism hasn't risen to a religion at times.

Indeed. We even have nine high priests who regularly hold seances to determine the will of The Founding Fathers. :sneaky:

On the topic: How does the rest of the group feel about the Traveller world generation system that weighted religiously dominated systems as repressive hell holes, and technocracies as bastions of freedom and light?

Religious regimes have had a nasty tendency to be unpleasent in the extreme - I can think of a few counterexamples, but only a few. So I'm okay with that aspect. On the other hand, Technocracies have spanned the gamut, with no weighting towards good or bad that I can see - not, to be fair, that technocratic regimes have been all that common. So I'd say that weighting was more the developers' wishful thinking than evidentiary supported.

Indeed. We even have nine high priests who regularly hold seances to determine the will of The Founding Fathers. :sneaky:

On the topic: How does the rest of the group feel about the Traveller world generation system that weighted religiously dominated systems as repressive hell holes, and technocracies as bastions of freedom and light?

I guess this is based on the perception of the "Dark Ages" and goes through various other gamign systems (just take a look a Sid Meiers Civilisation series and Alpha centauri where Fundamentalists always where bad researchers).

There is some tendency for Fundamentalists regimes to be highly regulated and highly conservative. I think that often Fundamentalism has simialarities to a police state with the ruling "believing" party trying to get everyone and his dog to get to heaven, even if it kills them.

Greek - they kinda made their gods to make their deeds the acceptable norm. Their gods and the roman ones (who copied them practicall 1:1)' date=' are the only gods I know of who are examples on adultry and homosexuality.[/quote']

If you are actively looking for other examples, check Egyptian and Sumero-Babylonian.

Lucius Alexander

Just don't look at the palindromedary

And Hindu.

Religious regimes have had a nasty tendency to be unpleasent in the extreme - I can think of a few counterexamples' date=' but only a few. So I'm okay with that aspect. On the other hand, Technocracies have spanned the gamut, with no weighting towards good or bad that I can see - not, to be fair, that technocratic regimes have been all that common. So I'd say that weighting was more the developers' wishful thinking than evidentiary supported.[/quote']

Insufficient sampling.

Religious regimes have had the entire history of human civilization to prove they are, as human institutions, possessed of humanity's flaws. Technocratic regimes just need more time to prove they too, as human institutions, possess humanity's flaws.

Its also includes a gross generalization.

Every religion is different and I suspect, were you to do a detailed and in depth study, they too would show a great deal of variance in whether they tipped the scales towards general benevolence and welfare - or are detrimental to the human condition (and spirit).

It also assumes an argument ad homimen (which includes appeals to popular prejudices).

In this case: that religion, which is merely one form of philosophy, has a uniquely saprogenic effect compared to other forms of philosophies, or ideologies. In my experience human belief, fervor, and destructive faith is in no way unique to religion. Numerous economic, political, and purely political ideologies have led leaders (and their followers) to implement abominable regimes.

Indeed, how many of the great speculative dystopias focus on political, economic, or secular philosophical systems of thought that produce results wholly destructive to the human animal and spirit?

Religion has no monopoly on ideologically idiotic implementation of belief on a social or governmental level. I doubt, when the chips are cashed in, it will even have a controlling interest.

Personally I believe that it's also showmanship that plays towards the audience, most gamers that I know tend to shy away from religion in general, but in reality the "athiest" nations of history have been at least every bit as bloody as anything religion has inspired.

Somebody rep Vondy for saying the stuff I'd like to.

When he would write something I can understand without having to research half the words he uses, I think about it.

Perhaps we need to properly name what we mean: I ususally spooke of practiced fundamentalism, the same way I spoke of practiced communism. Every possible goverment form could in theory be the prefect one. Democracy, Communism, Fundamentalism.

The problem is: Humans are stupid. Ususally to stupid to get the government working the way it is envisioned. Practiced Democracy tends a little bit less to be opressive, simply because the Ruling party isn't fixed. But inpropper application (like in Russia, when one controlls the media) can lead to a pseudo-Democracy that's actually just a practiced "one-party-state".

I also suspect that the religion's attitude towards the use of violence has an impact on whether it might become an oppressive force in a society. I don't particularly think Quakers' date=' Bahai, or Unitarians are terribly threatening in this regard, just to name a few.[/quote']

Only when religion means "interpretation of the holy text's at any given time by any large neough group".

The currently common interpreatations of the bible is basically "be nice to each other". But it is the very same religion who spawned the Inquisition, was the force/legitimation behind the crusades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades) and the persecution of every group not close enough to the mainstream religion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism#History).

On the topic: How does the rest of the group feel about the Traveller world generation system that weighted religiously dominated systems as repressive hell holes' date=' and technocracies as bastions of freedom and light?[/quote']

I like it, but then, I'm a tech-loving atheist. :sneaky: On a more serious note, I think it was made that way in order to represent the books Traveler was based upon. I can't think of any scifi from the 1950-70s that showed religious governments in a good light. I'm sure there were some, but I can't remember any. Showing techs as enlightened and doing the best for humanity was rather common though - science had a better reputation then than it does now, imho.

I also suspect that the religion's attitude towards the use of violence has an impact on whether it might become an oppressive force in a society. I don't particularly think Quakers' date=' Bahai, or Unitarians are terribly threatening in this regard, just to name a few. [emphasis added']

Richard Milhous Nixon

Only when religion means "interpretation of the holy text's at any given time by any large neough group".

The currently common interpreatations of the bible is basically "be nice to each other". But it is the very same religion who spawned the Inquisition, was the force/legitimation behind the crusades (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades) and the persecution of every group not close enough to the mainstream religion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catharism; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisemitism#History).

Let's not start howling too much about the evils of the crusades (of which there was plenty) as the Muslims do. The latter are quite loath to acknowledge that the crusades were at least partly in response to 5 or 6 centuries of consistent Islamic aggression, overrunning once-largely Christian lands in the Middle East and North Africa, and making significant inroads into Europe before they were finally stopped and kicked back.

Can you say "outlier"' date=' boys and girls?[/quote']

Not really. Every religion and government we know of has had one thing in common, they were practiced by human beings. My point is that there is nothing so good, so beautiful, so perfect in its simplicity that humans can't screw it up.

Yes, I did take my meds today, why do you ask?

The "feudal technocracy" government type gets a tech boost as I see it, not because it's so much more progressive but because that's the actual imperial government, giving them more of a connection to interstellar society. I would not incidentally assume that every religiously dominated society is a Traveller theocracy, since after all, every Traveller theocracy has to have maxxed out population, which makes no sense. Thus I see no reason why I couldn't have a religiously based oligarchy, or a democracy where religion is so powerful that it determines the outcome of elections.