What Champions Universe character would you gender change?

Steve

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: What Champions Universe character would you gender change?

I do think one of the Crowns of Krim should be female.. bit of a boys club to put it mildly there. Not Phoenix' date=' that leads to lawsuits ;)[/quote']

Well they could call the blood guy Bloody Mary...

While the kings themself are genderless/uninterested, their Avatars might have genders.

In fact Champions Online has all Five of the Avatars, and not less than two of them are clearly female:

The Queen beyond the Pale: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/The_Harrowing_Book_2:_Of_the_Queen_Beyond_the_Pale

The Muse of Lethargy and Despair:http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/The_Harrowing_Book_4:_The_Muse_of_Lethargy_and_Despair

I tossed out the idea for Defender to have a gender swap a while back.

Imagine Defender born as a female with a father who believes that women have no point to serve in the military. A father who thinks that the family's long tradition of excellence has pretty well fallen short. A young lady who's out to prove shes every bit a hero that all of her family has been.

That was pretty much the blurb I gave her when I tossed out an Alternate Champions team in the beginning of 09.

I tossed out the idea for Defender to have a gender swap a while back.

Imagine Defender born as a female with a father who believes that women have no point to serve in the military. A father who thinks that the family's long tradition of excellence has pretty well fallen short. A young lady who's out to prove shes every bit a hero that all of her family has been.

That was pretty much the blurb I gave her when I tossed out an Alternate Champions team in the beginning of 09.

Triggers a thought - a campaign world where only women are capable of superpowers (not all women are supers, but all supers are women). If it's an old development, history changes in rather interesting ways. If it's a new one, society would undergo some rather extreme and sudden alterations. Could be altered to work with just about any group - ethnic, religious, gender preference, et cetera. Also adaptable to other genres - only women can pilot starships, only women can use magic, like that.

I've thought about changing Istvatha V'han into a man. To me, the character concept echoes Ming the Merciless more than anything else.

note: sex (morphism/chromosomes) & gender (role/orientation) are two different things.

~ Mister E ("Max Von Sydow rules.")

I've thought about changing Istvatha V'han into a man. To me, the character concept echoes Ming the Merciless more than anything else.

note: sex (morphism/chromosomes) & gender (role/orientation) are two different things.

~ Mister E ("Max Von Sydow rules.")

And that takes things to a whole new level of complexity. What about changing the gender identity of a hero, rather than retconning their actual sex? Would Defender qualify for reassignment surgery if that was his/her preference? This is a long process requiring (justifiably) extensive periods of counseling and psychiatric evaluation, not to mention biochemical treatments to prepare the body for the change. How would this affect public opinion of him/her? How would this affect his/her relationships with other heroes? Would it even be possible for an altered human, mutant or alien to be medically treated in this way? I'm going to have to think about this one. I love truly complex characters with motivations outside the norm (no, I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with an alternative gender identity, just that it is not common from a purely statistical point of view).

Triggers a thought - a campaign world where only women are capable of superpowers (not all women are supers' date=' but all supers are women). If it's an old development, history changes in rather interesting ways. If it's a new one, society would undergo some rather extreme and sudden alterations. Could be altered to work with just about any group - ethnic, religious, gender preference, et cetera. Also adaptable to other genres - only women can pilot starships, only women can use magic, like that.[/quote']

It's an interesting notion, but for a lot of groups it would require cross-gender RP. Of course, if the PCs are somehow the only male superhumans/wizards/starpilots in the campaign world, that's a plot point right there. Why them? And how do their female peers respond to them?

Thinking of alternate versions of CU characters, Firewing could be redone as female. The name and powerset on a woman would harken back to Phoenix of the X-men.

Some just don't seem right to gender change (like Grond or Dr. Destroyer), but some names and powersets just seems to work better as a woman IMHO. For an example of female CU characters to change to male, Gravitar is one I might change.

The Warlord and his entire crew going female might be interesting, now that I think of it.

It's an interesting notion, but for a lot of groups it would require cross-gender RP. Of course, if the PCs are somehow the only male superhumans/wizards/starpilots in the campaign world, that's a plot point right there. Why them? And how do their female peers respond to them?

Plenty of ways to do this without cross-gender stuff getting involved. Assume supers are a new thing (1-5 years). Attempts are being made to control them by governments and other organizations that have lots of resources. Most supers are (at this point) relatively weak and untrained. The PCs are a capture squad for the nascent PRIMUS, not significantly different from a modern day special ops squad in terms of abilities and equipment. As the campaign progresses, more powerful 'villains' are encountered, and better technology comes to the fore to defeat them. Some of the supers are 'conditioned' to work with the capture squads (a la Rachel Summers, way back when). Lots of possibilities for moral exploration, resistance movements, recapturing already defeated enemies, and so on.

That would actually be an improvement, as Sunburst is sort of a lackluster master villain anyway. I would make her Japanese and call her Amaterasu. Change the origin a little bit, snd the experiments that created her could have been after Hiroshima.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amaterasu

I'm now officially sold on that idea. YMMV.

Heck, the character's origin could even have been Hiroshima. The bodies of the surviving Sunburst volunteers had lain in the Crypt for almost two decades in a comatose state, apparently not deteriorating, before Sunburst woke up. The others are presumably still there. On that basis there's no reason similar survivors of Hiroshima couldn't still be alive and potentially vital today.

While the kings themself are genderless/uninterested' date=' their Avatars might have genders.

In fact Champions Online has all Five of the Avatars, and not less than two of them are clearly female:

The Queen beyond the Pale: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/The_Harrowing_Book_2:_Of_the_Queen_Beyond_the_Pale

The Muse of Lethargy and Despair:http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/The_Harrowing_Book_4:_The_Muse_of_Lethargy_and_Despair

Not certain from your comment if you'd picked up on this, but from all published precedents the Kings of Edom, and Krim and his Crowns, are different and unrelated entities. Krim appears to be/ have been a demon of the Netherworld (the human "hell"), not connected to the Qliphothic dimensions and beings.

This is a long process requiring (justifiably) extensive periods of counseling and psychiatric evaluation' date=' not to mention biochemical treatments to prepare the body for the change. How would this affect public opinion of him/her? How would this affect his/her relationships with other heroes? Would it even be possible for an altered human, mutant or alien to be medically treated in this way? I'm going to have to think about this one. I love truly complex characters with motivations outside the norm (no, I am not suggesting that there is anything wrong with an alternative gender identity, just that it is not common [u']from a purely statistical point of view[/u]).

You forget the basic concept of Gender bending and it's tendency for male-to-female:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenderBender

And the first Law of Genderbending:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FirstLawOfGenderBending

And he as magic girlfirend with her magic nemesis twinsister.

Not certain from your comment if you'd picked up on this' date=' but from all published precedents the Kings of Edom, and Krim and his Crowns, are different and unrelated entities. Krim appears to be/ have been a demon of the Netherworld (the human "hell"), not connected to the Qliphothic dimensions and beings.[/quote']

Oh right, I sometiems mix up the ancient, mystical groups trying to destroy the CU.

The Crowns seems to be decidedly Male acroding to the Champiosn Wiki. Perhaps the Crowns are even desinged, to only work with man? I have now idea how the Tukarian Age and Mr. Krim viewed women.

You forget the basic concept of Gender bending and it's tendency for male-to-female:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GenderBender

And the first Law of Genderbending:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FirstLawOfGenderBending

Yes, but breaking tropes is often far more interesting than following them.

Oh right, I sometiems mix up the ancient, mystical groups trying to destroy the CU.

The Crowns seems to be decidedly Male acroding to the Champiosn Wiki. Perhaps the Crowns are even desinged, to only work with man? I have now idea how the Tukarian Age and Mr. Krim viewed women.

Well, Krim's sister, known as "the Dark Mother," was a powerful demon in her own right, and the mother of Kal-Turak/ Takofanes. Make of that what you will.

Now that you mention it, though, Cryptic Studios does seem to like to invent their own versions of perfectly good villains who are already in the IP. Really, "Qliphothic Crowns?"

Yes' date=' but breaking tropes is often far more interesting than following them.[/quote']

Like I always tell my drama students, "If you want to break from convention, first understand why the convention exists and what purpose it serves, so you know what effect breaking it is likely to have."

Like I always tell my drama students' date=' "If you want to break from convention, first understand why the convention exists and what purpose it serves, so you know what effect breaking it is likely to have."[/quote']

True that!

Now that you mention it' date=' though, Cryptic Studios does seem to like to invent their own versions of perfectly good villains who are already in the IP. Really, "Qliphothic Crowns?"[/quote']

I must answer that with a Yes/No. No, they were clearly labeled "Avatar of the Kings of Edom". Because the Kings themself are one of these "forces where even being close to them will destroy you, No saving throw". So you are pretty much only interacting with the avatars and even they are godlike.

But in the Comice Series "Aftershock" the "crowns" of them do play a role:

I think two videos say more than I could do.

Basically you are in the Qliphothic Realm and try to rescue some UNTIL sodiers that were trapped there during the recent operation Demonflame. But actually that is all as the avatars planned.

The first two minutes have something about the story. Then go to 9 minutes to jump beyond the bulk of fighting and then to around 12:30 to get beyond the bossfight for that epsiode.

The 6th and last part of the series is this:

Like I always tell my drama students' date=' "If you want to break from convention, first understand why the convention exists and what purpose it serves, so you know what effect breaking it is likely to have."[/quote']

I fully agree, it is critical to learn the hows and whys that already exist before you start changing them. However, I am not really talking about the Gender-Bending trope, where the change is sudden and not reflective of a true alternative gender identity. I am interested in how a popular hero deciding that he or she wished to go through the gender reassignment process might alter that hero's relationship with the public and with other heroes.