What Champions Universe character would you gender change?

Steve

Re: What Champions Universe character would you gender change?

I would have to vote for Gargantua' date=' Grond, Ripper, or Valak so that one of the "strongest in the world club" was female.[/quote']

When you think about it, the villain Galaxia already is kind of a transgendered version of Valak. While their game-mechanic designs are very different, their histories, motivations, and M.O.s are quite similar.

EDIT: Now that's got me thinking of what other existing Champions characters have opposite-gender counterparts. Off the top of my head:

Holocaust/ Gravitar: Would-be world conquerors, powerful mutants, extremely wealthy members of society's elite;

Stingray/ Zorran: From the highest nobility of their respective ancient, hidden undersea kingdoms, masters of sorcery, exiled for plotting to seize power;

Utility/ Mirage: Well-trained normal humans using skills and gadgetry to defeat and embarrass superhumans, to prove normal people are just as capable.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of Overdrive of VVV as female. A mutant villain who increase her stats to insane levels is fun, especially if she was a woman who was always looking to prove herself over the heroes.

Going the opposite direction: Princess from Enemies Villainy Unbound works good as a guy who is always getting attacked and needs saving, has an imaginary girlfriend, etc.

I am interested in how a popular hero deciding that he or she wished to go through the gender reassignment process might alter that hero's relationship with the public and with other heroes.

I fear there will be no clear answer to that.

Defender as written is a character in the default CU. The default CU does not deals with things like gender identity. It's simply beyond the PG-rating of the world (even if such a thing is noted somehwere in the writeup, it's not in the stories).

Your Defender in your world could propably have such problems. And your world will react as you picture her reacting to any celebrity making the same step.

Fortunately I do not know who Salena Gomez is so the horror is lost upon me.

No thanks, I don't feel the need to be informed. ;-)

I'm just the opposite. I know exactly who Selena Gomez is even though it's a little creepy that I do at my age. What? She's cute? If I was like twenty years younger I would have the energy to stalk her properly.

• 7 months later...

Cheshire's archnemesis The Red Queen!

Hmmm...

QM

Haven't given this much thought before. Disagree with the OP. Cheshire Cat is just fine the way he is. He'd just be a drop in a sea of a million catgirls as a woman. And there is a sexy female desolidifying robinhoodesque villainess in 6e, Vixen. So why shouldn't the female heroes have someone to chase romantically?

I would like more women master villains, or perhaps a monstrous female. We have traded Hideous for Grotesque but there is no female version perhaps Frag counts - but she's only demonic part of the time.

Bulldozer's not a girl! Bullldozer's gay! "So deep in the closet he can see Narnia," someone said here.

Doctor Destroyer. He has the power, and he was ...curious.

No, Bulldozer's not a girl. That's why it would be a gender swap then he'd be a deeply closeted lesbian. :D

I would have to vote for Gargantua' date=' Grond, Ripper, or Valak so that one of the "strongest in the world club" was female.[/quote']

I vote for Grond.

People always expect female character to be either sexy vixens, or some kind of stereotype of an 'anti-vixen' prude. SO it would be nice to have a character who was just a monster without any gender angles on the body or attitude - but be female.

Guest dan2448

I am interested in how a popular hero deciding that he or she wished to go through the gender reassignment process might alter that hero's relationship with the public and with other heroes.

Let's be honest, this isn't really an unknowable hypothetical. If Superman were real, and if he were suddenly to announce publicly tomorrow that he had already begun a gender reassignment process and that he had struggled privately with his gender identity for decades (like Chaz Bono), the public reaction around the world would be overwhelmingly negative.

That doesn't make it right. But to pretend that the public reaction might be otherwise (in any material way) would be just that: pretending. For less poisonous, more nuanced (and/or progressive) role-playing, I think you'd have to use a more obscure, newer hero, rather than one who is already famous.

Any such transformation by a legendary character would incite howls of disapproval, you'd have to think, from the four corners of the globe. If Wonder Woman were to re-emerge tomorrow from a year-long hiatus as "Wonder Man," for example....

Guest dan2448

I thought this was a really thought-provoking question; one that I'd never considered before myself. My first thought is that Dr. Destroyer could be made into another character entirely if he were to be morphed into a 'gender ambiguous' anime-style villain like Zoltar from "Battle of the Planets" (i.e. "Gachaman").

Guest dan2448

Actually' date=' Zoltar in [i']Gatchaman[/i] was actually capable of switching genders as a result of his background. So "gender-switching" "it" wouldn't actually make much sense.

I was actually suggesting that it might be interesting if Dr. Destroyer were made androgynous in a way similar to the Zoltar character, rather than proposing any gender change to Zoltar himself (which wouldn't relate to the topic of this thread anyway).

Dr. Destroyer strikes me as pretty asexual. For example, a few women that know him and would have romantic interest in him note that he's "not interested in such things". At least this version of him. Apparently an earlier version had a love interest but I don't know if that's still canon or not.

Guest dan2448

Dr. Destroyer strikes me as pretty asexual. For example' date=' a few women that know him and would have romantic interest in him note that he's "not interested in such things". At least this version of him. Apparently an earlier version had a love interest but I don't know if that's still canon or not.[/quote']

A very good point, phoenix240. I suppose I was thinking mostly about the aesthetics. As my friends and I played Dr. Destroyer over the years, he was more-or-less a Dr. Doom clone, with a distinctly male, bombastic, fist pounding style, and a bulky suit of armor to match.

If you kept Dr. Destroyer's intellect, outlook and resources intact, but merely modified his style to me more 'serpentine' than 'thundering,' and his armor to be more flowing, pointed and (for lack of a better adjective) elegant, you'd certainly have a different character. Better? Probably not. But certainly different.