[New Product] Champions Complete

Jason S.Walters

Re: [New Product] Champions Complete

Just bought the PDF. I know it would have been more financially efficient to buy the preorder for the hardcopy book at the same time, but these days I have very few hardcopy books and I figure I can always buy the hardcopy once it's out if I really need to.

I know brick-and-mortar retail is really dodgy these days, but will the book be available to the retail sector for things like special orders?

I know brick-and-mortar retail is really dodgy these days' date=' but will the book be available to the retail sector for things like special orders?[/quote']

Eh? Brick and mortar is dodgy? What the hey?

I'm sure the book will be available. Do you mean the pre-order? I can't say if that will be available, specifically. Jason has said he wants to make a "sell sheet" available so that if you go to a brick and mortar store and they say they can't order that, you can hand them the sell sheet and say "Now you can."

Hero Games has also started a new program through Bits and Mortar where retailers can give a customer who buys a hardcopy a free PDF, just like the online store does. Ask the retailer about your free PDF too, and tell them "It's a special program for retailers from Bits and Mortar" if they don't know about it. Anytime they can advertise something for free it's a big deal for them.

Eh? Brick and mortar is dodgy? What the hey?

I'm sure the book will be available. Do you mean the pre-order? I can't say if that will be available, specifically. Jason has said he wants to make a "sell sheet" available so that if you go to a brick and mortar store and they say they can't order that, you can hand them the sell sheet and say "Bow you can."

Hero Games has also started a new program through Bits and Mortar where retailers can give a customer who buys a hardcopy a free PDF, just like the online store does. Ask the retailer about your free PDF too, and tell them "It's a special program for retailers from Bits and Mortar" if they don't know about it. Anytime they can advertise something for free it's a big deal for them.

That is great news. It will allow us to support both the local community and HERO. Normally buying online is the better deal, because you cannot get PDF from local stores.

Eh? Brick and mortar is dodgy? What the hey? . . .

I think what he means is that life is pretty tough for a lot of brick and mortar game stores.

Pre-ordered my hard copy and free PDF last night. I've got to say I am really happy with the PDF being included for free. When I'm gaming I prefer hard copy since it just seems easier to flip around and find pages but I really like having PDFs on my Nook so if I suddenly want to look something up in a given rules system I don't have to be lugging around 100 lbs of books.

I'm also really happy that new players can see an easy path to getting into Champions that is only $40 and 240 pages. I've been worried that 6e has presented something of an obstacle for new players in terms of both the monetary cost and the sheer mass of the books.

I'm hoping to buy a PDF copy within the next few weeks so I can review it over at Panel Rant, a Facebook review page that I'm part of. It's been pretty heavy on the M&M stuff lately and I want to mix it up. I'll post a link when it's up.

I would love to buy the $40 version with the free PDF file' date=' but I don't own a e-reader (and might have to wait till tax time). What becomes of the file...will it be able to 'wait' till I get one?[/quote']

Just buy the one with the free PDF, download it and keep it on your drive until you get an e-reader. I've been using a Kindle Fire and love being able to read books on it.

Yes, I bought Sidekick as a PDF something like 5 years ago and it's still listed in my Control Panel for download in the online store. The downloads are basically there forever, although I'd download a copy and make a backup, just in case an unrecoverable server hiccup causes that go to away.

PDFs on your computer are great for using the search function to find things quickly. And a laptop doesn't quite count as a screen reader, but you can still lug a smallish laptop to games easily, and one laptop weighs less than a stack of books.

Just buy the one with the free PDF' date=' download it and keep it on your drive until you get an e-reader. I've been using a Kindle Fire and love being able to read books on it.[/quote']

Not only that, but one can always read PDFs with a PDF reader... you know, like Adobe Acrobat Reader. That's what I do on my netbook.

Not only that' date=' but one can always read PDFs with a PDF reader... you know, like Adobe Acrobat Reader. That's what I do on my netbook.[/quote']

Reading ebooks on a laptop or netbook isn't always ideal. It's only recently that I've gotten comfortable with it.

While we're on the subject, I find the two column format of Hero books means they also read very well in PDF on an iPhone. Perfect for cheering up that dull commute to work or using for quick reference in-game. I think the new Champs Complete will work particularly well in that last point due to the more condensed approach.

While we're on the subject' date=' I find the two column format of Hero books means they also read very well in PDF on an iPhone. Perfect for cheering up that dull commute to work or using for quick reference in-game. I think the new Champs Complete will work particularly well in that last point due to the more condensed approach.[/quote']

I'll definitely vouch for this on the Android side. Even when holding it in portrait mode instead of landscape, it's still pretty clear. You'd still have to pan-and-zoom for the page-spanning tables, but stuff that is in columns works out quite well.

It is definitely easier to read on my kindle than 6e1 was. The sidebars were really hard for me to read at times. I prefer the new format myself (although since I wont be getting a physical copy of the book I will probably still use 6e1&2 for most of my reference material.)

Many PDF readers have a "text only" mode that just streams the text with a bit of formatting (headers and such). It makes complicated layouts easier to read. However you can miss a lot of stuff too, if the way the internal layout of the PDF isn't conducive to a text mode view.

I would love to buy the $40 version with the free PDF file' date=' but I don't own a e-reader (and might have to wait till tax time). What becomes of the file...will it be able to 'wait' till I get one?[/quote']

It will remain on your downloads list for a long long time, waiting to be DLed at a future time. I have stuff I ordered years ago, that I can still Download from the DL page. Wouldn't worry about it.

BTW since it IS a PDF you can read it on your computer screen if you like.

Some feed back for you DH. Great job, i love the inclusion of the tables in the end of the book. I will be printing some for many screen. And the spread sheet style layout of the normals will be of huge use in every game not just supers. All and all I think this will become our new players handbook. While a GM can you the hundreds of examples in the core books the example power section in the back will work great as an introduction to New players.