Today's Dumb Criminal Story ...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More Last Months or so...but

https://boingboing.net/2017/08/03/thanks-nsa.html

The Wannacry worm burned through the world's unpatched IT systems, hitting more than 80 countries in 24 hours, taking down hospitals, airlines, banks and logistics companies, until a hidden killswitch was able to halt its spread.

The Wannacry worm owed its virulence to its use of leaked NSA cyberweapon -- a defect in Windows that the NSA discovered but kept secret so they could use it to attack their adversaries. For this to work, it meant that everyone in the world had to be kept vulnerable to exploitation of that defect, too.

We normally think of powerful weapons being wielded by "rational actors" -- people who are trying to find an angle that lets them win without getting caught or harmed in the process. That's why there's so much fear at the thought of North Korea's Kim family getting long-range nukes, as they are painted in the western press as unhinged dictators (the reality is that they're ruthless and terrible war criminals, but they're actually pretty "rational" in terms of the risks they take on).

The Wannacry worm is what happens when a superweapon gets into the hands of dum-dums -- like a junkie who breaks car windows to steal change out of ashtrays getting their hands on a tactical nuke.

These supervillains stole whole hospitals, but the ransom they demanded was a mere $300. That's why the total payout from a global worm infection that cost billions was a mere $140K, which the dum-dums in question just cashed out of their Bitcoin wallets.

• 7 months later...

The object in the picture is a spider wrap, not a camera. Some of them have tamper alarms that trigger when the wires are cut. From the picture, it looks like the Play-Doh was placed over the speaker, in the hopes that it would quiet the alarm (it wouldn't: those things are generally loud enough to be heard across a store). The plastic piece at the bottom looks to be missing a wire, and I don't see another half to it on the snarl of cabling at the top, so I believe that the thief cut it.

Spider wraps are there solely to slow down a would-be crook. Most clerks who work with them probably know how to remove them in less than 10 seconds without the unlocking key, and without setting off the alarm.

14 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

Oh, trust me, I know why they went out of business. ?

But will you tell us why they went out of business?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says perhaps it's none our business why they went out of business.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:05 PM, DasBroot said:

I have so many questions and yet I find myself wanting an answer to absolutely none of them. What an odd emotion (that probably has a german word).

I would say let him off he promises not to show it, but I realize that be a poor choice of words.  ???