Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

Ant-Man: Quantumania.  Two post credits scenes, one immediately after the initial credits, and one at the very end.

I don't see many films in the theater anymore, but I made a point of seeing this one even though I had no idea what to expect.  I even avoided the trailers for it, so I really had no clue where they were going to take the story of the Pyms.  It was pretty good, if highly weird, but that was to be expected for a movie shot almost entirely on location in the Quantum Realm.  My biggest problems with it were that it was a little predictable, and that MODOK was entirely too silly.  I can think of improvements.  But the characterization and performances were good, and the film did a good job of setting up the next Big Bad. 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Logan D. Hurricanes said:

A giant head in a floating chair too silly? I disbelieve!

I mean, it's Ant-Man, it's supposed to be silly.  I see people on other forums who thought MODOK was the best part of the movie.  Their biggest complaint is that Quantumania is extremely different from the prior two Ant-...Mans?  Men?  Which it is.

I really liked the first Ant Man but the sequels have been pretty disappointing to me so far.  Phase 5 needed to really start off with a bang to show it wasn't as aimless and meh (or worse) than phase 4 and this does not seem to be doing the job.  Its kind of a Loki sequel rather than a major motion picture and Kang is a lame villain to start with, and apparently it was supposed to be the end of Phase 4 anyway.

Marvel really needs to shake things up and do a better job ("you need to do better!" -- Sam Wilson), because they've lost their mojo.

On 2/21/2023 at 2:02 AM, Old Man said:

Ant-Man: Quantumania.  Two post credits scenes, one immediately after the initial credits, and one at the very end.

I don't see many films in the theater anymore, but I made a point of seeing this one even though I had no idea what to expect.  I even avoided the trailers for it, so I really had no clue where they were going to take the story of the Pyms.  It was pretty good, if highly weird, but that was to be expected for a movie shot almost entirely on location in the Quantum Realm.  My biggest problems with it were that it was a little predictable, and that MODOK was entirely too silly.  I can think of improvements.  But the characterization and performances were good, and the film did a good job of setting up the next Big Bad. 

This was pretty much my opinion exactly...I liked it more than I thought I would.

Saw the latest Ant-Man & Wasp movie, liked it! Wasn't sold on MODOK but not because of the CGI, but still fun. Lots of praise to Majors and Michelle for this movie, but I have to give props to Rudd who showed some chops as 'dad who felt the sting' when his daughter clearly felt let down by him, and 'angry dad on rampage for daughter's sake' ... among others. Scott Lang in the comics is so so for me... Scott Lang in the movies? One of my favs. Didn't see that coming.

Solid 7 out of 10 for me, maybe higher.

Reviewers and movie goers are pretty much agreed that this is not Marvel's best outing, in a string of not very good outings going back years now.  Marvel has really got to get their act together and cut back on the glut of content.  Too much, too fast, and none of it top quality work is making people tired of the entire concept of comic book movies, which is a shame to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't aware of her either, but it appears she's been with Marvel Studios for quite a while, through a lot of successes and some failures:

Victoria Alonso, the longtime and high-profile Marvel Studios executive whose time with the company dates back to the first Iron Man, has left the studio, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

The reasons for the exit are unclear, but she parted ways with Marvel on Friday, sources say.

Alonso had been with the company since earliest days of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, establishing an enviable 17-year run and watching the studio grow from operating above a Mercedes-Benz dealership in Beverly Hills to being acquired by Disney. During her tenure, the MCU became the highest-grossing franchise in film history.

Alonso joined the studio in 2006 as chief of visual effects and postproduction and helped launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe as a co-producer on 2008’s Iron Man. She also served as co-producer on Iron Man 2 (2010), Thor (2011) and Captain America: The First Avenger (2011). Alonso was upped to executive producer on The Avengers (2012), the landmark film that grossed $1.5 billion and took Marvel to new heights, proving that the concept of a shared cinematic universe could really work.

Alonso has served as executive producer on Marvel’s subsequent releases and also worked on its Disney+ TV series. In 2021, she was promoted to president, physical and postproduction, visual effects and animation production.

Last year, she also produced the Oscar-nominated international feature Argentina, 1985.

Her departure comes in the shadow of Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania‘s poor showing at the box office and among critics and fans.

(Oops, Ninja'd by Ternaugh! :) )

5 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I don't watch Midnight's Edge videos. Other than being a woman associated with a fandom, what was she supposed to have done wrong?

I've read vague rumors of a "toxic work environment" among the MCU VFX teams, but no specifics.

Quantumania had a squarely average (for the MCU) opening weekend, beating out Far From Home, the other Ant-Men, Cap I & II, Strange I, Iron Man I, and GotG I.  I suppose it could still turn out to be a flop by Hollywood standards but I wish I could flop to a half billion dollar worldwide gross.  It is falling short of Love & Thunder and WF, fwiw.