Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

More news (and some older news):

Avengers Guardians Crossover May Never Happen, Claims Jeremy Renner

Avengers 2 Extended Scene Teases Maria Hill’s Civil War Allegiance

Civil War
‘Captain America: Civil War’ Promo Art Shows Heroes Ready for Battle

Captain America: Civil War Team Rosters & Costumes Confirmed

Captain America: Civil War: Iron Man To Use Bleeding Edge Armor?

Spider-Man & MCU
Andrew Garfield Was ‘Petitioning’ For Spider-Man To Join The Avengers

Captain America: Civil War May Introduce Another Spider-Man Character (spoiler: Aunt May)

The Civil War storyline fills me with disinterest

If it followed the comic book story line, I would be inclined to agree with you. From the bits about the movie that have been released so far, this sounds different. And Marvel Studios has built up enough of a track record for me give them the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise.

Real life Marvel Studios Civil War -- Art imitates life

Marvel's Civil War: Why Kevin Feige Demanded Emancipation From CEO Ike Perlmutter

Marvel’s Kevin Feige Now Reports to Disney After Significant Restructuring

Marvel Studios’ Creative Committee is No More

‘Captain America: Civil War’ Budget Battles Almost Made Kevin Feige Quit Marvel

Yep. I guess that is what happens when you try to make a film with every superhero and have a frugal CEO who nixes journalists having two sodas (that is one soda to many for him). 

And yet I have really appreciated Marvel Studio's frugalness.  So many movies fail not because they are bad or that people don't like them, but because they spend so much money on them that they need get half a billion in tickets sales just to break even.  John Carter was a fun movie and sold 284 million in tickets but is remembered as a flop and lost its Disney tons of money because they spent a fortune making it.  Green Lantern wasn't a great film but it has some good moments and it sold 220 million in tickets.  Unfortunately, they spent 200 million making it so the fools would have need well in excess of 400 million in tickets in order not to lose money.  Both of these movies did grave damage to there franchises and if superhero movies weren't already going strong Green Lantern might have discouraged the making of superhero movies for a decade.

So yeah, a frugal Marvel Studio works for me. 

I can understand the difficulty in marketing the John Carter movie. Had the film been gifted with a truly distinctive narrative and/or visual style, then the marketing drones might have had something with which to intrigue and excite prospective audiences. But the movie was a fairly conventional fantasy film (granted, with lasers and flying vessels here and there) and not much else to distinguish it from movies like Conan (the latest one) or The Scorpion King, especially visually. That's not to say the production design was bad, in fact it was quite lovely and I liked it quite a bit. It's just that it didn't stand out as anything but just another fantasy film. Nobody took any genuine creative chances, and I think it showed.

...and the film was... kinda boring.

This was the most critical problem for the movie. Yes, the studio could have thrown stupid money at the marketing campaign in the hopes of luring audiences into theaters (it worked for Charlies Angles), but I don't think it would have paid off. A non-existant marketing campaign for an utterly forgettable film. Sounds about right to me.