Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes was one of the best shows on television, let alone comic book shows.

I get that it wasn't the same world as their cinematic universe, but it was wonderful and was part of the original, established, rock solid universe.

That last season was clearly building up to the Thor/Simonson series with Sutur then suddenly it turned into Galactus at the last moment, which suggests to me they got told they were being canceled and just did the Galactus story as a wrap up, possibly the next season's bit climactic tale.

Yeah, I want to see Carol in the classic red and blue costume too (that was supposed to be Kree in origin, wasn't it?). It's hard to predict whether Marvel will go classic-costume-homage (Iron Man, Thor, Capt. America, Vision), or classic-costume-aversion (Hawkeye, Falcon, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch). From the looks of it, Black Panther will be the former, which means Dr. Strange will probably be the latter.

This was a fun read

On Pre-Ordering Comics by Kelly Sue DeConnick.

So now we know why.  Let’s talk how.  For the purpose of this instruction set, I’m going to assume you’re brand new to this whole process. In fact, I’m kind of writing this for my mom and her friends.  (Hi, mom.  Hi, mom’s friends.)  I’m also going to assume that you want to pre-order my book.  This process is the same across the board, but, hey, this is my site, I’ve got two kids and let’s not fool anyone here, this activism is borne entirely from a desire to keep Captain Marvel (and Ghost and Pretty Deadly and whatever else I’m writing) coming out every month.

Yeah, I want to see Carol in the classic red and blue costume too (that was supposed to be Kree in origin, wasn't it?). It's hard to predict whether Marvel will go classic-costume-homage (Iron Man, Thor, Capt. America, Vision), or classic-costume-aversion (Hawkeye, Falcon, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch). From the looks of it, Black Panther will be the former, which means Dr. Strange will probably be the latter.

Strange's cloak alone would be hard to pull off. The rest of his outfit is very seventies.

It was a direct take from Mar-Vell's.

Strange's cloak alone would be hard to pull off. The rest of his outfit is very seventies.

Well, we've seen Marvel take two approaches to the cloak/cape on their heroes. Thor's is all practical. I remember watching a making-of video for the first Thor movie, in which the costume designer (the great Alexandra Byrne) described developing a cape that would look and move like the one in Thor's comics. That seemed to turn out quite well. Then we have Vision's largely CGI cape in Age of Ultron, which can of course move any way they need it too. Personally I found it a little distracting at times, although nowhere near as obnoxious as Spawn's. :rolleyes:  Superman's cape in Man of Steel, and the trailers for Dawn of Justice, is often CGI, but IMO works most of the time. So I don't expect that element of Dr. Strange to be problematic.

And strictly speaking, Strange's classic outfit is Sixties. ;)

Marvel was able to sell the idea of Thor's cape to (mainstream) audiences with the notion that it was part of Asgardian royal/military fashion (kind of like the Spartan cloaks in The 300). Then again, he spends a lot of his solo movies without the cape.

I think the Vision's cape was, conceptually speaking, more of a gamble since it had no other explanation than its always been part of the character's design in the comics. Mainstream audiences were less likely to buy into it, but with Vision appearing so late in the movie, there was simply not enough time for viewers to get squirmy over it.

With Dr. Strange, he's going to be a solo character living in a milieu that is mundane at first, and then gets other-worldly as the film progresses. There will be no reason to put him into a "costume" of any kind until the third act, if at all. And if/when they do give him something reasonably sorceror-y to wear, I just don't think it will involve a large red cape and dark blue Asian-inspired silkware. If anything it will probably be black, neatly cut (like an Italian suit), and maybe accessorized with a black overcoat/duster. Maybe they'll have him wear a silky, dark blue shirt underneath a black vest, just as a nod to the more colorful elements of the classic costume, but I predict that's as far as they'll go. I'd love to end up wrong about this though.

Marvel was able to sell the idea of Thor's cape to (mainstream) audiences with the notion that it was part of Asgardian royal/military fashion (kind of like the Spartan cloaks in The 300). Then again, he spends a lot of his solo movies without the cape.

I think the Vision's cape was, conceptually speaking, more of a gamble since it had no other explanation than its always been part of the character's design in the comics. Mainstream audiences were less likely to buy into it, but with Vision appearing so late in the movie, there was simply not enough time for viewers to get squirmy over it.

With Dr. Strange, he's going to be a solo character living in a milieu that is mundane at first, and then gets other-worldly as the film progresses. There will be no reason to put him into a "costume" of any kind until the third act, if at all. And if/when they do give him something reasonably sorceror-y to wear, I just don't think it will involve a large red cape and dark blue Asian-inspired silkware. If anything it will probably be black, neatly cut (like an Italian suit), and maybe accessorized with a black overcoat/duster. Maybe they'll have him wear a silky, dark blue shirt underneath a black vest, just as a nod to the more colorful elements of the classic costume, but I predict that's as far as they'll go. I'd love to end up wrong about this though.

If they keep his origin even remotely similar and have him learning magic in the "mystic orient" I see no reason why he wouldn't wear clothes of the culture (or more likely the uniform of the secret order) he is immersed in. 

If there is no reason to put him in a "costume" why would they put him in a suit with duster?  "Magicians wear dusters/long coats" is a urban-fantasy trope almost as played out as superheroes wearing capes. 

I'm not saying I think he'll look exactly like the comics, but if the audiences have accepted Thor in a cape and a giant walking tree and a talking racoon, I really don't see why they wouldn't accept the guy traveling between dimensions fighting a giant with a flaming head wearing a cape.