Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, making Spider-Man feel more like John Hughes is a good step, but they need to have a long talk with Sam Raimi apparently about how to get the feel right.  Or just hire him again.

They need to take Spider-Man in a new direction for this next reboot. Make him darker. Edgier. Grittier. Show him growing up with an abusive Uncle Ben. After he kills Ben and runs away from home, he gets sucked into a synthetic drug ring. That's where he gets his superpowers. And we need to change his powers too. He's too PG. He should have a venomous bite. We're definitely going with the black costume. Probably armor it up, make him look like a cross between a football player and a Navy SEAL. With guns!

The Raimi/McGuire Spider-Man never hit the mark with the witty banter. 

I'll grant you that, they could have been better with Spidey's goofy and fun dialog.  Although to be fair, there's no way there's time for his fun lines while he's fighting.  In comics you just add more word balloons, but in a movie?  Hard to fit it all in

I'll grant you that, they could have been better with Spidey's goofy and fun dialog.  Although to be fair, there's no way there's time for his fun lines while he's fighting.  In comics you just add more word balloons, but in a movie?  Hard to fit it all in

In the cartoon the action often pauses so that Spidey can address his witty banter to the audience directly.

They managed to fit it in pretty well in the second set of movies.

I thought the Garfield ones got the banter and fighting style done pretty well. I liked his webs being a big deal in the fights. I still preferred the first 2 Raimi ones. the third one might have been ok, if they had allowed him not to use Venom and done just Sandman. I really liked Sandman's story in there and thought Church did a good job and had the look.

They felt just like the comics did to me - at least before Marvel took a gigantic dump on the character.

OK - I can see it.

To me it was just a rehash of Darkman again, including the ending monologue. I felt the movie could have with 20% less "Peters life is horrible, and everyone dumps on him" and 20% more "Fun to Spider-man and the one liners"  - I felt it was too dark for a Spidey movie pretty much. But I guess I don't have much room to comment like that as I liked Man of Steel. Raimi made a decent movie, and a decent take on the character, I just had some issues with it.

I thought the Garfield ones got the banter and fighting style done pretty well. I liked his webs being a big deal in the fights. I still preferred the first 2 Raimi ones. the third one might have been ok, if they had allowed him not to use Venom and done just Sandman. I really liked Sandman's story in there and thought Church did a good job and had the look.

I think I stopped watching the 3rd one halfway through.. maybe not even that far.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts too. The second Raimi is still one of my favorite super hero movies. As for the third, Venom was an addition forced on by the studio execs, and I think Raimi got vindictive in the way he executed it. It would have probably been very decent without Venom tacked on.

the third one might have been ok, if they had allowed him not to use Venom and done just Sandman. I really liked Sandman's story in there and thought Church did a good job and had the look

I'm reasonably certain that Raimi's script and idea for the third Spider-Man movie was the Sandman story, and the studios forced Venom on him for extra moichendizing.

I guess when the character's history goes back twenty-five years before that. The majority of villains identified with Spidey's "rogues gallery" debuted during the first decade of his title: Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, Kraven the Hunter, Sandman, the Lizard, Mysterio, the Scorpion, Electro, the Vulture, the Rhino... I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Even in 1988 when Venom debuted, his style foreshadowed the "Iron Age" of comics, which lots of longer-term fans view as "post-classic." (Personally I despise the character, but that's irrelevant to this discussion.)