Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:32 PM, Cassandra said:

Yes, and they killed off Spider-Woman and then stripped her of her powers.  Marvel hates women almost as much as Law And Order: SVU. 

Not nearly as much as DC... with their fridging... and what was done to Donna Troy, Jade, Spoiler, etc.

18 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Now...she left Earth(in Avengers #200) in what was thought at the time to be of her own free will. It was really heavy handed of her to blame them for not keeping tabs on her when they thought they were never going to see her again.

Terrible writing.

3 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Not nearly as much as DC... with their fridging... and what was done to Donna Troy, Jade, Spoiler, etc.

DC keeps trying to replace their characters with hipper younger versions. 

Reminds me of Stargate SG-1 "200"

I like that one myself. It's a modification of her classic Ms. Marvel outfit, complete with scarf. But I liked almost everything about Avengers EMH. In style and story-telling it was strongly in the vein of Marvel comics from the Seventies and Eighties, which is my core comic-reading era. I admit that biases me.

It's also noteworthy that Avengers EMH Ms. Marvel was one of the most powerful Avengers, so even at that point her status was being established.

One thing I liked about Earth's Mightiest Heroes is that they didn't bother explaining what everyone's powers were, or even their origins unless it was a specific story.  They just were.  The characterization and story told who they were and what they did without needing an origin story or some readout.

I'm bummed that so far Marvel will show deleted scenes, but not do "Director's cuts" that expand the cut down movies. In some cases unneeded, but like with Black Panther, the Okoye and W'Kabi scene in particular, and the fact that there is a finished four hour cut of the film... I really wanted to see that done, fully. The expanded editions of LotR are heads and tails above the theatrical releases, and I think certain Marvel movies should get that treatment. Maybe I'd like Infinity War if there was more... even though these scenes still don't imply the scenes I really wanted to see.

Ultimately, I realize the thing I hate most about these big "event crossovers" just like in the comics... is that they change the rules. For 99% of the time, in their own comics, for decades, these heroes stand fast, rise above, and win or lose, they earn their reputations. Then these big events come through, and the heroes aren't heroes anymore, the rules change, they are suddenly discarded mooks and chaffe. And it isn't like they just kill off one or two in highly dramatic ways... no... they just toss them aside like no big deal.

Like they make it so obvious that the writers are just doing whatever they want, rather than the characters and the world having any internal consistency and verisimilitude. That has always irked the writer and gamer in me, and I don't like it any better on the big screen. You are going to kill off Heimdall and Loki? They deserve an entire movie to make those death as dramatic and meaningful as they should be, and demonstrate that Thanos earns his rep. You think the player's of those characters would stand for such a reversal of the established social contract of what is permissible in the game?

Loki:  "Wait... you just killed me off in the setup scene?" 

GM:  "Yeah... you are dead... say something clever right before you die." 

Loki: "Wait... what? I'll come back right?" 

GM: "Nah... I have to establish how cool my villain is, so you die. Oh, and you too, Heimdall."

Heimdall: "Hey!" 

GM: "But you do get a last chance to help Hulk run away."

Hulk: "Are you... Uh, what about running away? I mean, I'm going to pound..."

GM: "No, you just get beat down and humiliated for no reason and can't use your powers for this entire adventure."

Hulk: "What? eff you, man!"

seriously 

3 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

The expanded editions of LotR are heads and tails above the theatrical releases, and I think certain Marvel movies should get that treatment. 

I agree completely about the LotR expanded editions. They added much needed fleshing-out of certain aspects of the story. But that worked primarily because LotR is a 1200-page novel that doesn't really fit satisfactorily into only 6 or 7 hours of cinema; its epic story really screams out for the extra running time of the expanded editions, and even then I think they could have done more of the original story (and removed the nonsense that wasn't in the original story) and the films would have been even better still.

But I don't agree that the Marvel movies would benefit from expansion in the same way. I don't want Marvel to try and tell the narrative equivalent of a 400-page fantasy epic in every movie (not even the "big" ones like the Avengers movies). I only want them to tell the equivalent of a tightly plotted 3 or 4 issue comic book story arc. I can read that in less than an hour; it should be possible to tell such a story in a 2 hour movie.

You are going to kill off Heimdall and Loki? They deserve an entire movie to make those death as dramatic and meaningful as they should be, and demonstrate that Thanos earns his rep.

I on the same page with you there. Most Asgardians of note who died in either Thor: Ragnarok or Avengers: Infinity War died like chumps and it just wasn't right.

That's because Tycho Waakiki or whatever the frak his name is, is Marvel's Schmacher.  It's a comic book it should be funny!

Thor: Ragnarok was hands down the worst of Marvel's movies.  This was the film that most needed ti be serious, and instead it was played for laughs.

9 minutes ago, Doc Shadow said:

That's because Tycho Waakiki or whatever the frak his name is, is Marvel's Schmacher.  It's a comic book it should be funny!

Thor: Ragnarok was hands down the worst of Marvel's movies.  This was the film that most needed ti be serious, and instead it was played for laughs.

Actually, Taika Waititi is a great director and Ragnarok was an excellent movie, hilarious and holds up on multiple viewings. I'm totally ok with ridiculous hilarity at times. What it wasn't, was an effective part of the larger MCU nor an effective lead in to Infinity War. I have no problems with the movie as it stands, but I dislike its placement in the MCU meta-story. Ragnarok should have come out a year before it did, and then a follow up (Thor 4: The Last Asgardian) should have been the brutal, epic survival war against Thanos that is lost... and THAT should have lead into Avengers 4.

Ultimately, I realize the thing I hate most about these big "event crossovers" just like in the comics... is that they change the rules. For 99% of the time, in their own comics, for decades, these heroes stand fast, rise above, and win or lose, they earn their reputations. Then these big events come through, and the heroes aren't heroes anymore, the rules change, they are suddenly discarded mooks and chaff. And it isn't like they just kill off one or two in highly dramatic ways... no... they just toss them aside like no big deal.

I agree completely.  The crossovers are fun stand alone stories, but I think they should be treated as What If stories rather than part of the overall continuity.  Here's what it would be like, now lets get back to the real story.

I'm totally ok with ridiculous hilarity at times. What it wasn't, was an effective part of the larger MCU nor an effective lead in to Infinity War.

And it wasn't really a Thor movie.  It was a fun movie on its own, but not really part of the rest of the continuity, but now it is, because Thor has only one eye and no Mjolnir until he suddenly gets them back, sort of.  And his loss of an eye was really kind of pointless.  Odin sacrificed his eye for wisdom, Thor just lost it and for no reason couldn't regenerate it like he can any other time he's hurt, for reasons.

9 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

because Thor has only one eye and no Mjolnir until he suddenly gets them back, sort of.  And his loss of an eye was really kind of pointless.  Odin sacrificed his eye for wisdom, Thor just lost it and for no reason couldn't regenerate it like he can any other time he's hurt, for reasons.

This is just like the comics, in a bad way, though. Not specifically with Thor, but the classic "Writer #1 has implements big changes as part of their story. Writer #2 comes in and comes up with throw away "reasons" to undo those changes for their story."

That kind of thing has always driven me crazy, as the characters are clearl "properties" and not legitimate dramatis personae with continuity of growth and development, etc. One thing I always strove for in my games is that something that happened twenty five years ago in game, is still there, and may very well be relevant to something in a current storyline. History matters. Creating that history over time is one of the great pleasures of RPG playing and world building.