Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I am definitely looking forward to Ant Man movie, with reservations, I hope its not 

THE WASP

and

Ant Man

Well, he does get pretty tiny.  ;)

26 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I love the Wasp, but I want it to be them equally, not Grrl power and pathetic loser man being shown up all the time

Pathetic loser man?  It's Ant Man and the Wasp, not Florida Man and the Wasp...

32 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I love the Wasp, but I want it to be them equally, not Grrl power and pathetic loser man being shown up all the time

That was kind of my concern with Incredibles 2, that Mister Incredible wold be portrayed as an incompetent caregiver for his kids because Hollywood loves the incompetent dad trope. but my fears turned out to be groundless... so I have better hopes for Ant-Man and Wasp.

I think, the way they're hinting in the trailer that she has a 'harder edge' indicate that while she's very competent, Hope's got some issues she's working on, and Scott may be providing some Empathy and perspective she could use. If that's really what they're going to do with that, I'm okay with it. Both of them bringing something to the table would be fine. I think they'll each have their moment *Knock on wood* and ultimately the theme will be "Each of us stronger with a friend than we are alone" , which is another trope, but one I am not burnt out on and kind of agree with ;)

1 minute ago, Starlord said:

Now I want to see a 400 pt write-up of Pathetic Loser Man.  :)

Summon 'Random Competent Female NPc to do it better for him'

Mind Control AE Radius , One command "Take pity on me"

Damage Reduction as folks think you're not worth the effort of a full punch

Invisibility to Sight and Sound groups only when folks re looking for important factors and threats

4 minutes ago, Hermit said:

Summon 'Random Competent Female NPc to do it better for him'

Mind Control AE Radius , One command "Take pity on me"

Damage Reduction as folks think you're not worth the effort of a full punch

Invisibility to Sight and Sound groups only when folks re looking for important factors and threats

Yeah, honestly, man, I'm pretty sure I'm not built on 400 points.

31 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I think, the way they're hinting in the trailer that she has a 'harder edge' indicate that while she's very competent, Hope's got some issues she's working on, and Scott may be providing some Empathy and perspective she could use.

Makes me wonder if it will be a version of the dubious gender-swapping trope where the male protagonist takes on a traditionally feminine role by being nurturing and empathic, while the female protagonist takes on a traditionally masculine role by being the prickly badass with issues. In a blockbuster action movie, I find it more interesting for both protagonists to occupy the same psychological space and compete for dominance within it, like in Mad Max: Fury Road, but Scott Lang is not the hyper-masculine badass type, so that can't really work here.

1 hour ago, Doc Shadow said:

What may hurt it is the secrecy surrounding Avengers 4. Which is getting absurd.

A friend of mine made a similar comment... that the obsession with secrecy and lack of spoilers makes the Marvel movies really bad at truly foreshadowing and building up to one another. Sure, they can position certain McGuffins (infinity stones) as existing, or a character as sitting in the background... but they can't actually lay the ground work for one movie in previous movies. One of the reasons I felt Infinity War failed so badly was that it was missing a movie... an entire movie's worth of Thanos and the Black Circle being bad ass and wreaking destruction and kicking ass... so by the time Avengers 4 came around, you knew who they were and you knew how badass they were... and what the stakes were.

They movies are tied together at a superficial level, not at the level of being an intricated, crafted, singular whole. In many cases this is great (in just creating the MCU as a lived in world) but when it came to Infinity War, it leant nothing to the movie, which was fragmented, pointless and highly flawed.

Hasn't Marvel been insisting that Avengers 4 is not simply "Infinity War Part 2"? That it is its own story that deals with the aftermath of Infinity War and takes the MCU into the next Phase? We are all assuming that it will "resolve" the devastation of IW by undoing most of its effects, which would make it feel mostly like a sequel to IW rather than its own story. But maybe that's not what it really will be at all. And maybe that's how Marvel will surprise us...

Back on Antman and Wasp: I don't think they'll play the incompetent dad trope on Scott Lang. He's already been shown as being highly competent. As has Hope Van Dyne.

Will there be a bit of friction between the two as they learn to work together? Probably. But they've already been shown to like and respect one another. 

So unless there's a total writer fail (and hey, it can happen) I think it will just be a fun caper movie. Like the last one.

1 hour ago, drunkonduty said:

Back on Antman and Wasp: I don't think they'll play the incompetent dad trope on Scott Lang. He's already been shown as being highly competent. As has Hope Van Dyne.

Will there be a bit of friction between the two as they learn to work together? Probably. But they've already been shown to like and respect one another. 

So unless there's a total writer fail (and hey, it can happen) I think it will just be a fun caper movie. Like the last one.

Well, with 63 reviews in, it is running 90% at Rotten Tomatoes.  Now, that hardly means that it is a great movie, but it speaks to at the very least being a crowd pleaser. 

6 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

A friend of mine made a similar comment... that the obsession with secrecy and lack of spoilers makes the Marvel movies really bad at truly foreshadowing and building up to one another. Sure, they can position certain McGuffins (infinity stones) as existing, or a character as sitting in the background... but they can't actually lay the ground work for one movie in previous movies. One of the reasons I felt Infinity War failed so badly was that it was missing a movie... an entire movie's worth of Thanos and the Black Circle being bad ass and wreaking destruction and kicking ass... so by the time Avengers 4 came around, you knew who they were and you knew how badass they were... and what the stakes were.

They movies are tied together at a superficial level, not at the level of being an intricated, crafted, singular whole. In many cases this is great (in just creating the MCU as a lived in world) but when it came to Infinity War, it leant nothing to the movie, which was fragmented, pointless and highly flawed.

Funniest thing about this statement is how much DC gets panned for giving to much away, ie, despite every JL trailer avoiding having Superman in it, putting a giant poster out with him front and center. I would rather know less then know more.