Marvel Cinematic Universe, Phase Three and BEYOOOOONND

Bazza

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, slikmar said:

Funny thing is, even then, I always thought he was the perfect choice for Tony, even before I knew there was going to be a movie. He just always seemed to be Tony in real life, addiction and all. Seemed a perfect fit. I actually couldn't picture anyone else in the role, which is funny, since IM is from well before RDJ became known.

Iron Man is from before RDJ was born. ?

You're not the first one to point out the parallels between Downey and Stark. In hindsight it seems so obvious, but it didn't at the time.

On 6/27/2018 at 12:49 PM, Cassandra said:

I'm concerned that Captain Marvel lacks a proper build up and may become the "Man of Steel" of the Marvel Universe.

I hope it's as good and entertaining as Man of Steel was. Other than the parts about sociopathic, suicidal Jonathan Kent trying and failing to raise an apathetic hermit, that was a pretty good movie. It definitely got the dichotomy of a powerful heroic character with feet in two (literal) worlds right, and had a sense of grandeur that Captain Marvel would do well to emulate.

I distinctly recall Marvel fandom recognizing those parallels and cautiously approving RDJ's casting on that basis from the moment it was announced.

Yeah at the time it was "I hope this doesn't suck like so many of these movies, but Downy is great and I can definitely see him in this role"  But nobody knew how good he was going to be for the part.

9 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I hope it's as good and entertaining as Man of Steel was. Other than the parts about sociopathic, suicidal Jonathan Kent trying and failing to raise an apathetic hermit, that was a pretty good movie. It definitely got the dichotomy of a powerful heroic character with feet in two (literal) worlds right, and had a sense of grandeur that Captain Marvel would do well to emulate.

I liked her when she was Ms. Marvel and a blatant rip off of Supergirl.  She even has the same last name.

15 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah at the time it was "I hope this doesn't suck like so many of these movies, but Downy is great and I can definitely see him in this role"  But nobody knew how good he was going to be for the part.

Exactly.  RDJ was still working regularly in the decade leading up to IM, but not in high-budget high-visibility roles.  Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Good Night and Good Luck are the only titles that stick out during that period.  Then in the space of two years he does IM, Tropic Thunder, and Sherlock Holmes, and kaboom.

Ms. Marvel first started out as Carol Danvers, chief of security for a NASA base.  This brought her into contact with Captain Mar-Vell, a Kree who became a superhero on Earth, with Marvel taking advantage of DC's suppression of Billy Batson's Captain Marvel.    She eventually gets a set of Kree powered armor in the form of a skimpy costume and battles various secondary Marvel villains in her own series.  Getting a better costume she begins to show promise until she is drained of her abilities by Rogue who was introduced in her comic.  Working with the X-Men she gains cosmic powers and becomes Binary but soon her replacement as Ms. Marvel turns out to be a failure and she regains the name.  Developing an alcohol problem just like Iron Man, which serves as character development at Marvel, she becomes an Avenger during a period of good artwork but then is "promoted" to Captain Marvel just to show that she is as important as Kathryn Janeway.

2 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

Ms. Marvel first started out as Carol Danvers, chief of security for a NASA base.  This brought her into contact with Captain Mar-Vell, a Kree who became a superhero on Earth, with Marvel taking advantage of DC's suppression of Billy Batson's Captain Marvel.    She eventually gets a set of Kree powered armor in the form of a skimpy costume and battles various secondary Marvel villains in her own series.  Getting a better costume she begins to show promise until she is drained of her abilities by Rogue who was introduced in her comic.  Working with the X-Men she gains cosmic powers and becomes Binary but soon her replacement as Ms. Marvel turns out to be a failure and she regains the name.  Developing an alcohol problem just like Iron Man, which serves as character development at Marvel, she becomes an Avenger during a period of good artwork but then is "promoted" to Captain Marvel just to show that she is as important as Kathryn Janeway.

Actually, Rogue was introduced in an Avengers Annual. #10 if I recall right. It showed Carol losing her powers.

9 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

You forgot weird alien impregnation somehow leading to total abandonment by all her friends.

1 hour ago, Cassandra said:

Developing an alcohol problem just like Iron Man, which serves as character development at Marvel, she becomes an Avenger during a period of good artwork but then is "promoted" to Captain Marvel just to show that she is as important as Kathryn Janeway.

No, she was promoted to Captain Marvel, because after decades of having the name bounce from one not overly popular character to another, they wanted to give the moniker to a character that could support a solo title.

Wasn't there a long parallel backstory of legal wrangling with DC over the Captain Marvel name?

Yeah basically DC didn't protect the name like they should have by using the character and they ended up in court, both having the legal right to use it.  But as of late it looks like maybe DC has decided to cede the name to Marvel entirely.

10 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yeah basically DC didn't protect the name like they should have by using the character and they ended up in court, both having the legal right to use it.  But as of late it looks like maybe DC has decided to cede the name to Marvel entirely.

that is about it

22 hours ago, Starlord said:

You forgot weird alien impregnation somehow leading to total abandonment by all her friends.

Yes, and they killed off Spider-Woman and then stripped her of her powers.  Marvel hates women almost as much as Law And Order: SVU.