Arena: General Discussion

Logan D. Hurricanes

Not gloating at all. The way you twist things to suit your agenda... *sigh* Happy with the win. THAT IS ALL. 

You just wanna suck the joy out of everything. [/size]

Yes, yes I do. I use your joy to fuel my bitterness and to quench my taste for revenge until I can best execute it. Or something like that. I am not sure anymore. ^^

Yeah, I know you weren't gloating. I was just trying to latch onto Hermit's words. ^^ Sorry for the confusion.

La Rose.

And with Dream Girl's victory over Indigo, I believe Spectrum has been mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.  Even if Tigra goes on to defeat Destroyer and Captain Marvel wins in the Colosseum, and the Justice Buddies lose their two remaining matches to the Copy-Cats, The Justice Buddies and Spectrum will end up with identical weekly records (4-1) and daily victories (14).  The Justice Buddies, I presume, would advance based on their win over Spectrum in Week 3.

What a long, strange season it's been.

Perhaps the strangest bit: Regardless of what happens the next couple of days, fully half of my roster--Blue Beetle III, Goldstar, the Phantom Reporter, and Elastigirl(!)--will finish the season winless.  That's right, not a single victory for any of those characters.  I am utterly amazed and perplexed at this outcome.   :think:   Unfavorable matchups, bad die rolls, not enough points spent...I can't really explain it.  Ultimately, I suppose, they didn't draw the fan support I had hoped for. Back to the drawing board....

Captain Marvel, on the other hand, has performed as well as I could have hoped.  If she ends up winning her match this week, she will finish her two seasons with a combined record of 9-1, with her lone defeat a tag-team loss whiled coupled with the ill-fated Jade Nova--who, in retrospect, I might just as well have drafted in place of Blue Beetle III, Goldstar, the Phantom Reporter, or Elastigirl.  I'm not sure if I'll bring Carol back for Season Three, or if I'll keep someone else and move on in a different direction.  

Of course, if we end up going with a non-supers Arena Games for Season Three--an idea I think would be really, really cool, by the way--then I'll have to start completely from scratch.  C'est la vie.

The really odd thing is that besides Carol, the three characters who have done well for my team this season--Tigra, Marvel Girl, and Juggernaut--were all characters I'd originally had no intention of drafting.  Jean and Greer were both replacements for characters that had been sniped earlier in the same round (Rogue and The Thing, respectively).  They've both worked out well for me, thankfully.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I chose Juggernaut only after seeing heavy hitter after heavy hitter drafted ahead of me in Round 4.  I was originally going to select Yellowjacket (Rita DeMara) in the "Playing Both Sides" round, but after seeing Darth Vader drafted, I finally decided I needed a heavy hitter besides Carol on my team, and picked the most over-the-top character I thought I could get away with.  He ended up being a great pick (beating Vader, ironically), but everyone who drafted ahead of me in Round 4 gets as much credit as I do for his selection.

In an ideal world (e.g., a world without snipes), here is what my team would have looked like:

Round 1 - Open / Expansion: Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)
Round 2 – Who da Man?: The Thing (Ben Grimm)
Round 3 – I Was Born This Way: Rogue
Round 4 – Playing Both Sides: Yellowjacket (Rita DeMara)
Round 5 - Heavy Equipment: Obi-Wan Kenobi
Round 6 – The Color of Victory: Silver Samurai
Round 7 – Independence Day: Mary Marvel
Round 8 – Open Finale: Phantom Reporter

Would I have done better with this lineup?  Who's to say?  Would've been fun to find out, though.

Anyway, it's been a fun season. Congratulations to this season's playoff contenders, and may the best team win!

That seems like a fun exercise: What would have your ideal team been if you had no snipes?

I no longer have it written down so I will have to try and do this from memory:

Round 1: Godzilla

Round 2: The Thing* or The Hulk* or She Hulk*

Round 3: Kurt Wagner

Round 4: Groot - Back up was "The Lizard" but that was DQed

Round 5: Rocket Raccoon

Round 6: Scarlet Spider

Round 7: Yoda but didn't realize he was first printed by Marvel. So Hellboy. **

Round 8: Man-Thing* (Backup was Swamp Thing).

An * equals a character that got sniped.

** : this was the one round where I actually thought about going for Black Adam or Shazzam. Even though they would not fit my theme, I thought about them because they are powerhouses and one seems quite likable. Perhaps I should have.

La Rose.

Here are your final standings for Season 2:

Guardian											
League												
        		Wins	Losses		Victories	
LAUGH	        	5			18		
Big, Blonde, and B.	4	1		17		
Magic or Mundane	2	3		14	
Damage Incorporated	2	3		11	
The Armies of Heaven	2	3		9	
Monster Mash			5		6	

Mastermind				
League		
        		Wins	Losses		Victories
It's Clobbering Team	5			17
The Justice Buddies	4	1		14
Spectrum		3	2		13
The Copy-Cats		2	3		12
The Psy-chos		1	4		10
KOAN		        	5		9

Here is your playoffs bracket. In the Semi-Finals we have

LAUGH vs. The Justice Buddies

Big, Blonde, and Beautiful vs. It's Clobbering Time

That is last year's champion vs. three newcomers! Will he be able to repeat? Or will It's Clobbering Time take over as the dominant force in the Arena? Don't count out the #2 seeds, they're too good to overlook!

This is gonna be good! :rockon:

Here is your playoffs bracket. In the Semi-Finals we have

LAUGH vs. The Justice Buddies

Big, Blonde, and Beautiful vs. It's Clobbering Time

That is last year's champion vs. three newcomers! Will he be able to repeat? Or will It's Clobbering Time take over as the dominant force in the Arena? Don't count out the #2 seeds, they're too good to overlook!

This is gonna be good! :rockon:

I think all of my joking about Hermit's Legion of Doom is about to enact a karmic revenge. ;)

I'm afraid Hermit will likely roll over me due to his significant advantage in points. He can spend 12 per day at this point, so I'll probably only be a speed bump to him.

Well, I went through some this week, and, truth to tell, I'd really like some to carry over into next season instead of depleting myself like I had to last time.

If I beat you, I still have others to fight. And it won't do me much good spending everything I've got to try to best you if it means I'm soap bubble strong for the next guy

I gotta think, tricky like, long term.

And even a sweep doesn't put me in the semi-finals.  Enforcer tried hard, but I was spending points like a drunken sailor on shore leave, and a couple of my team were genuinely popular.  Think I won't be carrying over Nemesis Kid to next season, though--I've used up all the push I care to on him.

Well, I went through some this week, and, truth to tell, I'd really like some to carry over into next season instead of depleting myself like I had to last time.

If I beat you, I still have others to fight. And it won't do me much good spending everything I've got to try to best you if it means I'm soap bubble strong for the next guy

I gotta think, tricky like, long term.

How did you manage to not spend like any points that one week? Was that a pre-arranged agreement?

And even a sweep doesn't put me in the semi-finals.  Enforcer tried hard, but I was spending points like a drunken sailor on shore leave, and a couple of my team were genuinely popular.  Think I won't be carrying over Nemesis Kid to next season, though--I've used up all the push I care to on him.

Well fought my opponent. 

And yeah, I was so point low that I couldn't really give a good fight and counted on assumed popularity to carry me :) It was a bad assumption