Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logan.1179

Arena: General Discussion

Standings							
		        		Wins	Losses		Victories
		LAUGH	        	4	0		14
		The Hell-Razors		3	1		12
		The Universals		3	1		12
		District-Psy		3	1		11
		Rising Sun		2	2		12
		High Aces		2	2		11
		Scrapyard		2	2		10
		Cherry Bombs		1	3		7
		Magic or Mundane?	0	4		6
		New Suicide Squad	0	4		5

Two more weeks to clear up positions. And like the real draft, teams at the bottom of the standings will get draft position in Season 2.

And possibly something else to help out, Mom is still thinking about it.

It's time to replace the Black Knight's spot on The Universals' roster. Here's the the bench list:

1	Captain Ultra
2	Doctor Mid-Nite  
3	Detective Chimp
4	The Top
5	NFL SuperPro
6	Boom Boom
7	The Blob
8	Aquaman
9	D-Man
10	Vibe
11	Steve Trevor
12	Stilt-Man

And we roll the die.

*roll*

Ladies and Gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to the newest member of The Universals ...

NFL SuperPro!

302906-150345-nfl-football-star.jpg

• NFL Supepro, is a Marvel superhero. He starred in an eponymous series that ran for 12 issues. The hero of this comic is Phil Grayfield, an ex-NFL-American football player who survived a freak accident and wears a near-indestructible football uniform.
  • Powers: Invulnerability, Super Speed, Super Strength, Unarmed Combat

So it looks like I.am still in it, even if it is a long shot. And it alao looks like Hermit has completely secured hos playoff seat, too.

We also had two clean sweeps this week. That brings us up to three now, I think.

La Rose.

It's time to replace the Black Knight's spot on The Universals' roster. Here's the the bench list:

1	Captain Ultra
2	Doctor Mid-Nite  
3	Detective Chimp
4	The Top
5	NFL SuperPro
6	Boom Boom
7	The Blob
8	Aquaman
9	D-Man
10	Vibe
11	Steve Trevor
12	Stilt-Man

And we roll the die.

*roll*

Ladies and Gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to the newest member of The Universals ...

NFL SuperPro!

302906-150345-nfl-football-star.jpg

• NFL Supepro, is a Marvel superhero. He starred in an eponymous series that ran for 12 issues. The hero of this comic is Phil Grayfield, an ex-NFL-American football player who survived a freak accident and wears a near-indestructible football uniform.
  • Powers: Invulnerability, Super Speed, Super Strength, Unarmed Combat

I suppose this is fitting, since I doubt he'll make it off then bench. Honestly, I'm pretty much resolved to going forward with the seven original characters I have left.

That may change, though.

A few days ago, someone (Hermit?) posted a conversation in which Mr. Spock and Captain Kirk debated the the merits of conserving points for later battles at the expense of losing/tanking current battles by limiting the number of Bonus Points spent.  Having just completed a week of austerity measures--zero Bonus Points spent this week--let me share with you what you might anticipate should you undertake such a course of action:

1.  You will lose the week.  You have to know and accept that going in.  If you're not ready for that outcome, don't do it.

2.  There's a good chance you'll get swept.  Perhaps it's because you're being drastically outspent (45-0, in my case), or perhaps because the dice hate you (lost 3/5 rolls, one by 9 pips), but you have to understand at the outset that you'll be lucky to win one or maybe two matches.

3.  Winning the vote total won't be enough to win the match.  You may end up with 9 more votes than the opponent in a match, but if he's outspent you by enough, it won't matter.

4.  Be prepared to lose at least one character to a reboot.  If you spend no points and your opponent spends 15, they're 3/4 of the way to rebooting your character before anyone's even voted. Who knows, maybe the Wheel of Misfortune will be kind and give you someone at least in the same area code in talent as the character you lost? But I wouldn't bet on it.

Anyway, that's my two cents.  Back to you, Spock.

Speaking of the issue of being outspent, one possible way to midigate those issues is to institute a new rule: 1/2 of all points spend to bolster your guy is transferred to your opponent at the end. That is to say that if on Monday we have constants A and B, and A spends 10 points and B Spends 15 points, come Tuesday (or Wednesday), A earns an extra 8 points to spend as he chooses (15/2 round up) and B receives 5 points. This won't change the outcome of the battle but it does mean that you are giving your opponent points to use against you at a later time. 

Another way would be to say that Friday can't have any points spent (or only have a very limited number). And 1/2 of all points spent M-Th get transferred to the opponent as free points on Friday. So, A spent 40 points M-Th and B spend 10 points M-Th. Come Friday, A gets 5 points but B gets 20. This will help keep points from being the principle decided of sweep weeks. 

La Rose. 

Speaking of the issue of being outspent, one possible way to midigate those issues is to institute a new rule: 1/2 of all points spend to bolster your guy is transferred to your opponent at the end. That is to say that if on Monday we have constants A and B, and A spends 10 points and B Spends 15 points, come Tuesday (or Wednesday), A earns an extra 8 points to spend as he chooses (15/2 round up) and B receives 5 points. This won't change the outcome of the battle but it does mean that you are giving your opponent points to use against you at a later time. 

I would be against this, as we all started this season with same number of points -- zip. Our draft choices, clean sweeps, quiz choices, participating in battles, and Commish handouts have added to that total. Strategy and tactics come in to play as to best to utilise them for the daily/weekly battles. 

The consequence of blowing them all at once means that you won'y have as many as your opponent in the latter weeks of the competition. My strategy this week of spending 15 points each day means that next week I won't have as many to spend -- which is a negative (the quiz can help mitigate that to a degree). If my opponent next week decided to not spend as many this week mean that I will be at a disadvantage next week -- which i brought on myself, and which gives him an advantage -- both results from use of tactics and strategy. 

(and things are complicated enough, without giving Commish more work to do). 

one out of five.

But we are doomed ! Doomed I say !

Dragon Man won again. I warned you. I warned you all !

It is the END OF THE WORLD !

Now if he wins again, it will be the end of the Universe.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !

Dragon Man lost.  The Cute Squad won their matchup.  Everything is ok.

I suppose this is fitting, since I doubt he'll make it off then bench. Honestly, I'm pretty much resolved to going forward with the seven original characters I have left.

That may change, though.

He might be a good back up in Tag team type battles.

NFL Superpro might do well against Amalgam characters, since almost everyone else does.  (I was really hoping by the end there that The Rose would put Kokoro on Thursday or Friday to hand me an easy win.)

So it looks like I.am still in it, even if it is a long shot. And it alao looks like Hermit has completely secured hos playoff seat, too.

We also had two clean sweeps this week. That brings us up to three now, I think.

La Rose.

Not quite. While it's very probable, mathematically he is still vulnerable. Granted, he would probably have to get swept twice, but it's theoretically possible.

This week's Five Gold Rings was your fun bite of fun for the holidays, but next week we return to your regularly scheduled arenas:

• Dungeon Monday
  • Blue Sky Tuesday
  • Volcano Wednesday
  • Iceberg Thursday
  • Final Victory Friday

For the final week of the regular season, the accursed die and I will select the arenas randomly from all previous entries :eg:

For the first round of the playoffs, you the voters will determine the arenas by vote! :nonp:

Ladies and Gentlemen, your opponents for week 5:

High Aces     vs.     Magic or Mundane?     

Rising Sun     vs.     The Tributes of District-Psy

The Universals      vs.      The New Suicide Squad

Scrapyard       vs.       L A U G H

The Hell-Razors     vs.       Cherry Bombs & Bombshells