And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

Anybody know when MS plans to drop support for Windows 7? This computer has been the most stable setup I have ever had and that includes my Linux boxes. It works and works well. I am happy with it and I am afraid that an upgrade might disrupt the balance. I am going to be upgrading to a newer machine sometime in the next year or so and will have Windows 10 on that. This one is Windows 7 until the day it keels over.

Anybody know when MS plans to drop support for Windows 7? This computer has been the most stable setup I have ever had and that includes my Linux boxes. It works and works well. I am happy with it and I am afraid that an upgrade might disrupt the balance. I am going to be upgrading to a newer machine sometime in the next year or so and will have Windows 10 on that. This one is Windows 7 until the day it keels over.

I want to say it's closer than I'd like it to be. 

They're not going to go 15 years like they did with XP. 

looks like 2020...

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

I'll need a new computer by then anyway.

Me too. I'm already looking at a system that I would like to buy. Mine is about four years old now. Mind you, when I bought it, everything was pretty well top notch gear. It has aged pretty well. I've never owned an Intel system in my entire life, so I think I am going to build a new one with a Haswell Xeon processor. Essentially it runs like a Core I-7 4770 without the integrated graphics. The bad part is that my system prices out to just over $1000 with Windows 10. That is pretty rich for my blood. It will take some months of saving to get it and there might be a better alternative at the end of that time. 

• 3 weeks later...

And looks like some people are finding Win10 ISO on their system even though they have said "no" on the "reserve" question. And, yes, Microsoft is actually admitting that this is exactly what is happening:

With that being said, what’s Microsoft position on all of this? How could the company possibly explain why it is forcing Windows 10 installation files on to customers’ computers without permission? Surely the company has a reasonable explanation for its actions? In a statement to The Register, a Microsoft spokesperson wrote:

For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade.

When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device.

In Microsoft’s eyes, if you have agreed to automatic updates in Windows, it’s fair game to send Windows 10 down the pipe.

In MS's eyes, it doesn't matter that this unasked for file is eating up 3-6 GB of HD space and woe to those on metered connections and with data caps!

So I installed windows 10 onto my main machine and it worked for a bit. My main machine had been acting weird for some time though. It never seemed to tax the four gigs of memory or register has using more than a few percent of its 3.3gHz I3 processors but never seemed to be able to do things at the same crisp speeda it could before. And dispite uninstalling some od the programs that would launch upon startup (skype, line, etc), it would constantly get choked up at startup and report unreadable errors. I couldn't get any viruses or malware to show up when I did scans.

After unstalling 10 I was hoping that some issues might get fixed. Maybe I deleted a file or program that was needed and didn't lnow it?

Nope, same old problems. Then two days ago it finally crapped out and asked if I wanted to do a full wipe and reinstall of 10. Having nothing important on the machine directly, I said yes. It tried a few times then gave up. Now I get a 'you need to install an OS you idiot' msg... (¯―¯٥)

Luckily I bought a cheapo laptop to use just incase something happened. Now I will try to install linux from a flash drive. Hopefully that will work. My laptop gets taxed just using browsers and video. But I won't have the funds to start over for several months. So I just need my old machine, running linux to last till next March/April...

Foreign Orchid.

4 gigs of RAM is a bit low for Windows 7 and up, unless you've optimized the install. Even then, 6 or 8 is better.

Really? It used to work well for me. Until several months ago, I was able to Run CIV5 on one monitor while Streaming  a High Def show  on another (through a VPN) while still having normal browser content open. While it wasn't perfectly response at all times, it was, for the most part great. Then it suddenly started to slow down. I was never sure why. Then quite recently just gave up. 

I am now running a linux mint. I hope things stay good. I was running it from a flash drive a bit ago and it crashed on me while watching twitch and downloading steam. I hope it doesn't do that again this time. 

Foreign Orchid. 

Most of our work machines have 4GB, and run Windows 7 (32-bit*) quite successfully. For most, memory utilization is somewhere between 30-50%, which is fine.

My Surface Pro 3 has 4 GB RAM, and runs Windows 10 (64-bit) very well. On Windows 10, memory utilization can run much higher, but that's because there is a process that holds recent pages of memory in a compressed format in the normally "unused"** area--this avoids having to swap to the hard drive or SSD (both slower than main memory), and improves the responsiveness of already running programs.

*Due to the architecture of Windows machines, a 32-bit OS can actually use only about 3.2-3.5 GB of main memory.

**Unused RAM is wasted RAM.

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to receive an upgrade message.

I must live in a version of reality skewed sex-degrees off of planet earth.

Consider it a blessing; Windows 10 is just one big piece of spyware masquarading as an operating system, and Cortana is just a cheap gimmick to trick all the fools out there into accepting the spyware. I must admit, Megalosoft played (nearly) everyone like a harp from Hell.

I have yet to receive an upgrade message.

I must live in a version of reality skewed sex-degrees off of planet earth.

Well, if you want it, (Ignores the rants) I had a similar issue, and there are some things you can try. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/upgrade-install-errors-windows-10

And if you didn't get any errors, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081048

I eventually had to do a clean install of 7 (but I had other issues as well)

I'm still seeing the invitation, and still haven't taken the plunge.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is in two minds about it

Got the invitation and reserved my free upgrade around julyish . . . (I think)

Then I was a goober and clicked something I shouldn't have and kept getting "you're upgrade will begin in 1hr!".   Luckily, it had a "reschedule" option, which I have used up until today.

Finally pulled the trigger and upgraded.

So far everything's working okay.  Just going to take some time to get used to where everything is at now.

PS: Did have moment were memory was at 92% and CPU was at 100% but a reboot (which seems to take forever now) fixed it.