Political Discussion Thread (With Rules)

Simon

9 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

Fascinating that political discussion threads are going to be doing double duty as "true crime" threads for the foreseeable near future.  

Has a developed country (Europe, Japan, SK, Australia, Canada, e.g.) had a convicted felon win the nomination of a major party for the top elected leadership position?  I know that several former SK presidents went to jail, but I'm not aware of a situation analogous to this.

I can think of one guy who went to jail for an attempted coup and was later elected chancellor.  But that was close to 100 years ago.

1 minute ago, Old Man said:

I can think of one guy who went to jail for an attempted coup and was later elected chancellor.  But that was close to 100 years ago.

Right.  And that guy did his time and was released long before the election in question.  Nobody's ever run while convicted and awaiting imprisonment.  Eugene Debs ran in 1920, but he was arguably a prisoner of conscience and not from one of the two major parties at the time.

The late Silvio Berlusconi, former Prime Minister of Italy, may come closest:

On 1 August 2013, Berlusconi was convicted of tax fraud by the Supreme Court of Cassation. His four-year prison sentence was confirmed, and he was banned from holding public office for two years. Aged 76, he was exempted from direct imprisonment, and instead served his sentence by doing unpaid community service.[11] Three years of his sentence was automatically pardoned under Italian law; because he had been sentenced to gross imprisonment for more than two years, he was banned from holding legislative office for six years and expelled from the Senate.[12][13] Berlusconi pledged to stay leader of Forza Italia [center-right political party] throughout his custodial sentence and public office ban.[11][14] After his ban ended, Berlusconi ran for and was elected as an MEP at the 2019 European Parliament election.[3] He returned to the Senate after winning a seat in the 2022 Italian general election.[15]

Edited by Lord Liaden

12 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

Fascinating that political discussion threads are going to be doing double duty as "true crime" threads for the foreseeable near future.  

Has a developed country (Europe, Japan, SK, Australia, Canada, e.g.) had a convicted felon win the nomination of a major party for the top elected leadership position?  I know that several former SK presidents went to jail, but I'm not aware of a situation analogous to this.

Not sure...but wasn't Netanyahu charged with corruption over in Israel?

14 hours ago, unclevlad said:

Imagine a floor devoted to cubicles....and please forgive me for the terrifying image.

Lots of extra power fixtures...but all 110 volts...tending to run through a raised floor, or quite a few power pillars, or both.  NO water to most of the floor.  Overhead lighting arranged in large blocs.  Not practical to turn these into full-function, individual-size living spaces;  it MIGHT be practical to turn them into semi-communal spaces akin to dorm rooms.  Not exactly comfortable or private, but I doubt it'd be practical to do a whole lot more....

These spaces might be about as bad as it gets, but there's probably a lot OF them........ 

Water would be the most challenging issue.  Our building has elevators and bathrooms in the center of the floor.  If we divided the floor into 4 apartments and put the bathroom and kitchen facilities near the center, it might work.  We have a small servery on each "all-workspace" floor with a sink, fridge, dishwasher and a couple of microwaves.

There would be some wiring and plumbing work to do, for sure, but it would not take as much work as constructing a new 16-floor building.  Apartment buildings don't have unlimited window options either.  A lot of rebuilding happens when commercial tenants change - while converting for residential would take some work, I don't think it is wholly impractical. The result may not be ideal, but it would be a lot better than living in your car or on the street.

I've seen an old church converted to residential condos and a hotel converted to student dorms.  A hotel is not a lot different than an office building, but has much closer to residential configurations (with more water needed - smaller spaces than even most studio apartments and no kitchens) than most office buildings.

Edited by Hugh Neilson

3 hours ago, Cygnia said:

Not sure...but wasn't Netanyahu charged with corruption over in Israel?

Back in 2019, Netanyahu was indicted for bribery, fraud, and breach of trust. His trial has been ongoing since May 2020. By Israeli law he's under no obligation to resign as Prime Minister while on trial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_of_Benjamin_Netanyahu

Authorities Investigating Threats To Grand Jurors Who Indicted Trump In Georgia

Authorities in Georgia said Thursday they’re investigating threats targeting members of the grand jury that indicted former President Donald Trump and 18 of his allies.

Fulton County Sheriff Pat Labat’s office said investigators are working to trace the origin of the threats after the names of grand jury members and other personal information were posted online. The sheriff’s office said other local, state and federal law enforcement agencies were assisting.

“We take this matter very seriously and are coordinating with our law enforcement partners to respond quickly to any credible threat and to ensure the safety of those individuals who carried out their civic duty,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement.

A Fulton County grand jury returned a 41-count indictment Monday charging Trump and 18 others with illegally conspiring to overturn his 2020 election loss in Georgia.

26 minutes ago, megaplayboy said:

That's just one of the lowlights of a truly horrible agenda.  Wiping out the civil service and replacing them with handpicked toadies is incredibly corrupt.

And the clear intent implicit there...don't enforce any environmental regulations you can't erase.  Forget going after Big Pharma for the opioid scandal.  What'll happen to science funding generally?  To the institutions like NIH and CDC, even the FDA?  None of em are without serious problems generally due to excessive regulation, but you have to expect they'll be as gutted as possible.  GOOD chance ObamaCare gets repealed.  Forget any and all federal funding for contraception/abortion.  

IF!!!!! the Pubs can pull off even a good-sized chunk of this, then we're toast as a society...and quite possibly as a planet.  Not immediately, but quickly.  Climate change will be irreversible.  Civil war is...not inconceivable, as disruption after disruption grinds the middle class into economic ruin...while making the uber-wealthy even richer.  The wall will get built, ensuring frosty relations with Mexico.  Racial violence will tick back up...and the protests won't stay semi-contained for long.

Yesterday, my local paper carried an op-ed ab out whether Trump trials should be televised. (Well, actually an op-ed about a pair of NYT op-eds debating the point, which seems a bit recursive to me.) Author acknowledged points either way, but came down on the side of "transparency" on grounds that the MAGA crowd will believe the trial was rigged and a sham unless they can watch it.

It's just adorable that he believes the MAGA crowd would believe *any* legal proceeding against their hero was legit. Trump tells them to see a fraud, so they see a fraud, because they *want* to see a fraud. In which case, do not televise. It's safer for the judge, attorneys, witnesses and jurors.

Dean Shomshak

4 hours ago, Cygnia said:

It's not when it'll happen, it's who'll take point in making it happen.  The attempt, that is.  This is probably going nowhere.

NYT is reporting that Trump plans to skip the upcoming debate.  I'm not too surprised on this.  Instead, he'll do a sit-down with...yeah, if you'd hoped he was gone, he's not...Tucker Carlson.  NYT comments Trump's insulting the RNC by not going, but we know he doesn't care about that...and also Fox News, because a) they're moderating it, and b) sitting down with Carlson.

We have 15 more months of this....

And we thought the last cycle was bad..........

1 hour ago, DShomshak said:

It's just adorable that he believes the MAGA crowd would believe *any* legal proceeding against their hero was legit. Trump tells them to see a fraud, so they see a fraud, because they *want* to see a fraud. In which case, do not televise. It's safer for the judge, attorneys, witnesses and jurors.

For the hard-core MAGAts, I agree with you. But this trial will probably be watched by a lot of independents and "soft" Republicans who are still thinking they'll vote Trump if he's the GOP candidate in 2024. And if it pushes them to the other side of that fence, that could be decisive for the actual vote.

1 hour ago, unclevlad said:

It's not when it'll happen, it's who'll take point in making it happen.  The attempt, that is.  This is probably going nowhere.

NYT is reporting that Trump plans to skip the upcoming debate.  I'm not too surprised on this.  Instead, he'll do a sit-down with...yeah, if you'd hoped he was gone, he's not...Tucker Carlson.  NYT comments Trump's insulting the RNC by not going, but we know he doesn't care about that...and also Fox News, because a) they're moderating it, and b) sitting down with Carlson.

We have 15 more months of this....

And we thought the last cycle was bad..........

I really had to dig to find out where that was going to be broadcast.  I don't think Tucker's Twitter stream reaches nearly as many eyeballs as Fox "News" does, but I suppose the corporate media will amplify Trump like they always do.