A Thread for Random Movie Lines

Pariah

• 4 weeks later...

"I failed you, Ben. I'm sorry."

"I'm sure you are! The Resistance is dead! The war is over, and when I kill you, I will have killed the last Jedi!"

"Amazing. Every word of what you just said was wrong. The Rebellion is reborn today. The war is just beginning. And I will not be the last Jedi."

"I'll destroy her...and you...and all of it."

"No. Strike me down in anger, and I will always be with you. Just like your father."

"No..."

"See you around, kid."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Let's imagine... if you glimpsed the future, you were frightened by what you saw, what would you do with that information? You would go to... the politicians, captains of industry? And how would you convince them? Data? Facts? Good luck! The only facts they won't challenge are the ones that keep the wheels greased and the dollars rolling in.

But what if... what if there was a way of skipping the middle man and putting the critical news directly into everyone's head? The probability of wide-spread annihilation kept going up. The only way to stop it was to show it. To scare people straight. Because, what reasonable human being wouldn't be galvanized by the potential destruction of everything they've ever known or loved? To save civilization, I would show its collapse.

But, how do you think this vision was received? How do you think people responded to the prospect of imminent doom? They gobbled it up like a chocolate eclair! They didn't fear their demise, they re-packaged it. It could be enjoyed as video-games, as TV shows, books, movies, the entire world wholeheartedly embraced the apocalypse and sprinted towards it with gleeful abandon.

Meanwhile, your Earth was crumbling all around you. You've got simultaneous epidemics of obesity and starvation. Explain that one! Bees and butterflies start to disappear, the glaciers melt, algae blooms. All around you the coal mine canaries are dropping dead and you won't take the hint! In every moment there's the possibility of a better future, but you people won't believe it. And because you won't believe it you won't do what is necessary to make it a reality.

So, you dwell on this terrible future. You resign yourselves to it for one reason, because that future does not ask anything of you today. So yes, we saw the iceberg and warned the Titanic. But you all just steered for it anyway, full steam ahead. Why? Because you want to sink! You gave up! That's not the monitor's fault. That's yours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2022 at 10:31 PM, Pariah said:

"You know, I could have been in the NSA, but they found out my parents were married."

On 4/12/2022 at 1:03 PM, BoloOfEarth said:

"Hey, Abby, Abby, come on, now, the FBI'd give him twins!"

“You know cow mutilations are up 10%.”

“What do you want?”

“Peace on earth, good will towards men.”

”We’re the United States Government....WE DON’T DO THAT!!”

”Tell him you’ll try.”

”You could have anything in the world, and you’re asking for my phone number?”

“Yes.”

”555-1234”     (I couldn’t remember the number, what do you expect at 3:43 am?)

Edited by Tjack

7 hours ago, Tjack said:

“You know cow mutilations are up 10%.”

“What do you want?”

“Peace on earth, good will towards men.”

”We’re the United States Government....WE DON’T DO THAT!!”

”Tell him you’ll try.”

”You could have anything in the world, and you’re asking for my phone number?”

“Yes.”

”555-1234”     (I couldn’t remember the number, what do you expect at 3:43 am?)

Sneakers was a great movie.  I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Gordon..."

"Who's this Gordon character?"

"That is your name, Gordon..."

"My mother calls me Sting. My children call me Sting."

(In case anyone wonders, that's from Michael Apted's documentary Bring on the Night, about the recording of Sting's seminal "solo" debut The Dream of the Blue Turtles.)

"They're pinging away with their active sonar like they're looking for something, but nobody's listening."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, they're moving at almost forty knots. At that speed, they could run right over my daughter's stereo and not hear it."