A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

French people really do say "Oh la la!". An engineer in France for this software declared it on the phone to one of our techs in a moment of discovery.

"Oh la la! I cannot believe it! Zis one thing, it makes ze whole application crash!"

Yes, that's what we'd been trying to tell them for a few weeks now...well the "oh la la" was gratifying, in a couple ways. I always thought that was some myth.

People are wierd. Sometimes it's a kind of appealing wierd, the kind that makes you laugh and like the person better, and that's cool. I like wierdos like that. Like my cousin Drew. Ask me sometime about the Potato Cannon incident, or the Incident Involving Snapping Turtles, Several Ducks, and a Shotgun. Ask me about his tattoos, his brands and his scarrifications, or the time I tied his sweatshirt hood closed, while he was still wearing it, and what his reaction was. I really like my cousin Drew.

Then there's the wierdos that give the rest of us bad names. The kind of wierd where they'll do something purely for the "sick value", and laugh at you when you react normally. Mightybec's threads on "WTF is wrong with people?" for instance. Do not comprehend. Makes no sense.

The older I get, the more the world frightens me. I'm almost hoping the end will come soon.

After my slip-and-fall, I was given Flexeril (a muscle relaxant) for my back. How is it possible that this stuff is making it harder for me to sleep? All week, I've been having trouble both fallin asleep and waking up in in the morning. I ake it just at night, same thing. I stop taking it for a full day, I can sleep again, but now my I can feel "tugs" in my back. Trouble waking up, I can see. But problems sleeping? WTF?

open letter to my co-workers...

Just because I'm the closest male proximate to the shared printer, that does not mean I'm the one responsible for clearing the paper jam/checking the toner/putting in more paper when it runs out.

I have my own printer, and in an extreme lack of team spirit, I really don't care that you haven't bothered to check your printouts, and really need them now. If they were that important, you should have came over, and loaded paper first, then printed your stuff.

I've got my own issues, thanks for not asking, so leave me alone.

Sigh. Now I feel better.

D

I hate cube farms.

The reason for it today (and probably for the next year or so) is the person on the other side of the wall. I don't know him, so he may be a nice guy. But his laugh is the most irritating thing I have ever heard, and he laughs a lot.

Its not a hearty HAHAHA. Its more like on the movies when people are wheezing on some medical device. He breathes out in a 5 second long wheeze. There is no Ha Ha or heh heh, no break...just one long Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

I am sure that I have annoying habits, I am sure there are things I do that are frustrating. But this is one of those few things that just grates on me, and its a sound directly on the other sie of my cube wall.

Guest Worldmaker

1 cup of whiskey or bourbon. (I use Jamesons)

1 cup ketchup

1 cup cider vinegar

1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar

1/2 cup onion, finely minced

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons Tobasco sauce

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke

Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and briskly simmer, uncovered, until thickened (about 20 minutes), stirring from time to time with a wooden spoon.

Use right away or store in an airtight jar.

This is the only barbecue sauce you'll ever need.

Coughing a lot sucks screaming out loud, I tend to forget that. I am now officially sick. I am going to bed soon, and hoping this will blow over.

Of course this happens when (as I have whined already) I'm too busy to really take time off. If I miss time, deadlines are missed, period, as the only people who could cover it are also concentrating on deadlines they may or may not make. We have a go-live date coming up and actually we're doing quite well, it's just that we can't afford to falter now. I don't want/won't be the cog that broke and screwed up the machine.

And yet, I have no true passion for my job...I have found in life I'm better at being committed to mundane things rather than ideals...

I'm in the processing of selling my house. If it sells, my family and I are going to be moving to Idaho. Her family lives there. I've been in California for almost 31 years. I'm really going to miss my gaming group. I hope I can find a group that are half as talented as they are.

Basset Hounds got long ears, but 3/4 Labs and 1/4 beagle are still silky earred themselves.

As I grow older, I find barbarians, bricks, and other straight forward and simple 'archetypes' more appealing.

M*A*S*H* is an amazing show.

Andorians rock, they should have one join Enterprise as a crew member.

T'Pol went into Pon far early it seems *tsk*

I think my chief element is stone.

Fluffy needs his muse.