A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Went by the Eye Doctor today. Eyesight is holding pretty stead, little change.

They can correct my Left eye to about 20/25, but my right to only 20/40. So they have to degrade teh vision in my left eye to prevent double vision.

Grumble, grumble

Josh and I watched Somewhere in Time tonight, which Suncoast shelved in the scifi section.

I can only imagine how angry I'd be if I'd picked up that movie, expecting scifi action and stuff, and got THAT.

Possibly the most pointless movie I've seen in years, after Dude, Where's My Car?

Not that it was a bad movie, per se. It was just pointless and slow, which isn't what I was expecting.

Today I am a coward. My brother, whom I don't get t see often enough brought me tickets to see the OSU/BSU football game. My boss said she'd be in at 2:30 so that I could leave early and make the game. She didn't get there until 3:00. Ofcourse parking was terrible. I think I parked midway between my apartment and the football stadium, either way a half hour on foot. I went to the wrong gate and finally, a half hour into the game I get into the stadium and make my way to the stairs. Then. I find, not surprisingly, but disgustedly, that my acrophobia is not thrilled with either the stairs or the 6 story escalator. I find an elevator, but unfortunately I am not a VIP I am a 34 year old man who is deathly afraid of heights and that counts for squat. Found what I thought to be an enclosed staircase and started my ascent. Got to the ramp that goes to the balcony level and couldn't get 5 steps outside of the stairwell without feeling faint. So, like an abject ***** I walk back down to the lobby, wait about two hours in the vain hopes that my brother might come down to use the restroom or buy food and I'll be able to pick him out of the crowd. After that I make the rainsoaked treck to my car to drive home and hate myself.

As far as earthshattering problems go, I actually feel my acrophobia isn't debilitating and far from the most horrifying of afflictions. Today, I watched five year olds happily run up and down the stairs and I can't do that. So... yeah. Today sucked. I never saw my brother and all of my failures are forefront in my mind. All I need now is a call from my father or the divorce papers to be in the mail and I'll be as close to perfectly miserable as I have ever been.

I think it is sad that I lost all respect for a friend of mine, because she decided that my favorite band was not punk enough and were just a bunch of "posers".

:mad: Alot of people do this and it pisses me off, because it's just music! Who cares if it is punk, pop, country-western, or polka. If it sounds good listen to it, if it doesn't change the friggin dial on the radio. I do not believe a band should be given credibilty on how well they fit into a paticular genre. Heck I think I like a band better when I have to use mutiple genres to only begin to describe.

So excuse me if I like more than the stuff the world has deemed as "cool" :cool:

Ran across a comment that "we have one major superpower in the world and it ****ing well hates everyone, especially you"

Well, I guess we hate the author of that one, anyway... :bmk:

I know America is necessarily the bully of the world for now, but it doesn't mean we hate everyone. In fact, we probably hate fewer nations than hate us, actually. The truth is, we don't mostly hate too many nations. We ignore most, we are apathetic to nearly all. But hate? Why bother?

I guess that's what people don't get about bullies...they rarely actually hate, at least not the type of bullies who actually are bullies simply because they ARE bigger and tougher than everyone else. It's the insecure bullies, the ones who attempt to exert their authority but have none, who tend to be the haters. Those who simply are more powerful and are challenged so end up being bullies for that tend to be rather good-natured as they look at "the little insects' around them.

I think people would rather be seen as a threat, though, and therefore hated, than to be seen as the relative insects they are. It's sad, but mostly everyone is an insect next to America and we don't even think about them. That's why we're so ignorant of most of the world, it isn't even worth a thought.

I'm speaking of course in crass generalist terms, not saying this reflects the way many Americans think, but in aggregate, I think it about fits. And I was subject to victimization and alliance on varying levels by bullies and got to know a couple, so these are my thoughts just based on those experiences.

So, digging thru the backlog of donation emails, I find someone wanting to donate a SUV, but needs a driver to get it to Tylertown. I send them an email thanking for the thought, but it's not a critical need and we don't have anyone in North Carolina to drive it down right now.

I get an email back late today that basically said "Bit the bullet and drove it down there myself. Figured someone there deserved it."

Well, a vehicle there will be handy. I've gotten a lot of faith back in humanity recently.