A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I just learned where the plague of tiny flies is coming from here in the office: someone else's plants. It doesn't help with the irritating little things, but at least I now know it's not me, which is a relief.

At the same time, at home we have a plague of fruit flies coming from somewhere we can't figure out. My private theory at the moment is that one of the kids pushed some grapes down somewhere, perhaps (e.g.) through one of the heat registers, and so the flies are coming from somewhere out of sight. We've taken to leaving a shot glass with a finger of cheap white wine out on the kitchen counter in the evening. Come morning, there are scores of the little b******s drowned in the wine.

Getting punchy late on a Friday afternoon

A hand tool made of hard steel for abrading things into proper shape is a file.

If you have a cabinet where you keep those, you have a file file.

If you have several such things, and keep them in a row, then you have a file of file files.

If you consider such an arrangement disgusting, then you have a vile file file file.

If you keep dossiers on people who have such things, then you have a a file of vile file file filers.

If you put that in microform and put that in a small bottle so you can swallow it lest it fall into the wrong hands, then you have a vial file of vile file file filers.

And if you are sick enough to find that whole concept perversely alluring, then you are a vial-file-vile-file-file-filer-phile.

When a company that is otherwise very classy expects certain standards, you agree that those standards ought to be met.

But when maintaining those standards, especially with regard to schedule, requires synchronizing with the company machines, and the computer systems and phones are down at least 1 day a week, it's a bit demoralizing...

JG

I made my first t-shirt on CafePress.com last week, and it got here today!

AND IT LOOKS FRICKIN' AWESOME!

*does the MegaMan happy dance*

Next step, add a link from my website to the online store, where I also designed buttons, magnets, t-shirts, and other neat stuff...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

I watched a Korean spook film called The Phone tonight. The movie was slick, reasonably creepy with some problems. It featured a young actress named Seo-Woo Eun, who couldn't have been more than seven or eight years old, who gave an absolutely devastating performance. That little girl just tore up the screen. She was scary as Hell, entirely from acting. Forget other child actors - I would rate her performance as one of the most frightening I've seen from any actor. Utterly blew me away. Wow.

"History is being lost-- a new generation of gamers are passing through the ranks with no inkling about those who passed before them.

You even see it among those new hot shot "Roleplaying is Art" upstart game designers-- they think everything is new under the sun and that they owe nothing to the giants who shoulders they stand upon.

Why do you know I had a guy in here the other day who didn't know who Gary Jackson was?"

-Weird Pete, Knights of the Dinner Table #106

"I Fought the Troll," by Tom Smith

Friday night and I'm gonna get sauced,

I fought the troll and the... troll lost,

I fought the troll and the... troll lost.

He tried to boss me and was... out-bossed,

Underneath his Freeper bridge,

Hoping goats will cross,

Quoting Ashcroft and Tom Ridge,

He's even dumber than Mickey Kaus,

Wouldn't last two minutes with David Frost,

His worldview sounds like pro wrestling,

Although not as nuanced,

Behind his eyes the wind's whistling,

I kicked him offa Pandagon and... Atrios,

He's permanently banned from Dai... ly Kos,

And in November Double-Yuh

And all his thugs we'll toss,

We'll try to fix America,

(spoken)

And all you trolls out there, trying to aggravate everyone with your stupidity, illogic, and blind unthinking devotion to the Bush regime, this section is especially for you. I'm not going to name any of you out loud, not wanting to give you even the slightest possible noteriety, but as you sink under the weight of your own asininity into an intellectual La Brea Tar Pit, you can imagine that I sing your nom du guerre right now... and bask in a stolen fame you don't deserve.

(to the tune of, "I Fought the Law.")

Blurb on MTV's Headbanger's Ball: "You're gonna watch the MTV Video Awards this Sunday."

Gonna? Whitey, please. The last MTV Video Awards I saw licked donkey's. And that was in Miami, too. And to demonstrate your lack of foresight, you scheduled it in the middle of hurricane season. If Katrina blows away the arena, or at least forces a cancellation, that will be evidence that there is a God, and that He is righteous.

JG

Reappearance of a literally on-topic post to this thread: randomness.

You can get a right-triangular distribution (that is, peak at zero, the minimum value, and monotonically decreasing to higher numbers) of random numbers by rolling two identical dice, and subtracting the smaller number from the higher.

(1) All words are meaningless!

(2) Including these ones!

(3) They are what they are -- vibrations!

(4) The fact that we can comprehend this is inexpressable!

(5) Nonsense in the rule, not the exception!

The BBC have done four seriels (2-3 part things lasting 2-3 hrs without advert breaks) called Messiah. Last one was on over the bank holiday over here which explains the lack of Tribble on Monday.

It is in each case to do with seriel killing and the things are quite gruesome but well acted and well scripted. So if the chance to see it comes up watch but be warned as to the subject matter.

The last story had the killer using Dante's Inferno for inspiration. Not for the squeamish.

Previous stories had the chief detective's wife in them, Michelle Forbes who was Ensign Ro in Star Trek Next Generation. She was playing a mute so she signed but did not have any lines. Odd but there you go anyway.

So my new manager is a pain in the *** and I love her to death.

She is new to the job, full or verve for it and has a good way with people. She is also incapable of managing or even closely estimating her time management. We get hour lunches, she takes an hour and a half. She tells us she needs to take her kids to school and she'll be in by 1:00 she's in at 4:00. She's been on the job since the end of June and has taken two week long vacations already. Drives. Me. Batty. And my assistant manager has followed her lead but lacks many of the positive qualities. She's even worse because she'll often tell us she's going to stay until a certain time and then she simply leaves hours before then.

I hope to get the hell out of Dodge, but it's kind of hard for a guy making the best money he's ever made (even though it turns out to not be enough to live on my own) and no college degree to get a "Better" job. I could get a similar job that doesn't pay as well or a better paying job that requires me to give up benefits, comforts, and "prestige". I dunno. Perhaps I need to take a long look at my life and see where I want to go instead of quietly floating where the river takes me.

More adventures in customer service:

Today a customer calls me and says, "I need to get rid of these music channels on my satellite TV."

I go, "music channels?"

"Yeah, this Black Entertainment Television and all the other video stuff with the half-naked women and the swearing. I have kids here, I don't wan't them seeing that."

I go, "I can show you how to use your remote so you can edit those channels out of the system."

"But I still have to pay for them?"

"Yes."

She goes, "I need to have TV that doesn't have any of these video cable channels on it. Do you have that? What is that?"

"You mean like... broadcast TV?"

"Yeah, how much would that cost me?"

JG

Guest George Kirby

According to the Baseball Hall of Fame, the player with the highest career batting average was Ty Cobb, with a career average of .366. Rogers Hornsby is listed as #2 with an average of .358.

However, I'd like to note that Joanne Weaver of the All American Girls Professional Baseball League (the organization upon which the basic plot of the movie A League of Their Own is based) had a career average of .429.