A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Australia may pull off a great moment in sport. In a 5 game series (1-day cricket) Australia loose to South Africa by a whopping 196 runs in game 2. The newspapers Down Under were calling it a massacre as it was their second worst loss in this form of cricket. In the third and forth game the Aussies win by 24 runs and then 1 wicket.

Before the 5th and last game their was sledging between the South Africa's captain and leg spinner extraordinaire Shane Warne. Now at "half time" Australia gets the highest score ever in one-day internationals -- 434. It's up to South Africa to go one better.

Basically Australia is slammed in the second game second worst loss in approx 30 years and could come back and by getting the highest score they are in the box seat to win the series.

Game Stats

[chanting] Come on Aussies! Come on! Come on! Come on Aussies! Come on! [/chanting]

Can't get this outta my head.

Take my love, take my land

Take me where I cannot stand

I don’t care, I’m still free

You can’t take the sky from me

Take me out to the black

Tell them I ain’t comin’ back

Burn the land and boil the sea

You can’t take the sky from me

There’s no place I can be

Since I found Serenity

But you can’t take the sky from me…

I got Gaiman's Anansi Boys for Christmas. I had so high expectations of the book, I daredn't open it up. Until last friday. I needed something to read on the bus home, and I gathered my strenght and took that book with me.

A wise thing to do. And I needen't have worried - Christ on a bike (to paraphrase a policeman in the book) it's fun!

I realized last night that I might be a tad bit out of practice with Call of Cthulu when I actually had my Investigator -- Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh -- "just skim through" the copy of the Pnakotic Manuscripts we'd recovered, to check our information. :nonp:

It wasn't until the GM's eyes lit up and he asked me for a SAN Check that I realized how long it'd been since I'd played CoC... :no:

Letter to the Andrew Sullivan blog:

"Because [people like Paul Krugman] cannot see clearly past their own ideological predispositions, it doesn't occur to them that for others, descriptors like 'rush to war,' after twelve years of sanctions and cat and mouse games, seemed completely thoughtless.

Similarly, opponents of military action often denied the reality of any threat from Iraq not by claiming the absence of WMD, but by confidently asserting that a secularist dictator like Hussein would never cooperate with fundamentalist Moslems like Al Qaeda by providing them with WMD. I spent much of 2002 and 2003 asking such people if they had ever heard of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.

...As always, there are many lessons to be learned from our errors, including those of electing someone to the presidency as ill prepared for the office as George Bush, and the arguably criminal incompetence with which the war has been waged. But we won't learn those lessons by allowing history to be manufactured for the satisfactions of cheap political one-upmanship."

Putting questions on a final exam which look tough but the answer is trivial ... as long as you realize it, and have the faith in your knowledge to write down the correct answer.

"Let Us find out who has True Faith in Physics," said The Inquisitor. "Let those who lack it twist painfully in a cold, slicing wind for all of eternity ... or until the exam period is over, whichever comes first."

http://www.andrewsullivan.com

Monday, March 13, 2006

Dressing Down The Troops

13 Mar 2006 04:54 pm

Rummy's Pentagon is enforcing tighter standards for uniforms and physical appearance among military personnel. The troops in Iraq appear unimpressed. Money quote:

"Just returned from OEF yesterday and I'm getting caught-up on these forums. A month ago, as I was urinating at Bagram, a MSgt (1st Sgt) said that I needed to have my hat off while I was pissing! Shock and awed, I asked 'Why?'

I was advised that having one's headgear on my head while pissing was not setting a good example of abiding by the AFI (36-2903).

In plain English, I retorted 'This is my third time here, and when the focus has shifted from killing Al Q-aida to pissing with hats-on, it's time for me to leave.'"

I am two points away from assending but I'll probably miss it when I do. I am knee deep in proof-reading the Last Dominion book before it is published and so the time I'd normally flit away on the forums has been greatly reduced.

I COMMAND THEE!

ASCEND!!

and so it was done.

I COMMAND THEE!

ASCEND!!

and so it was done.

Silly little gods, always thinking you're so high and mighty.

Go ahead and ascend me.

right now.

I dare ya!

On a completely unrelated note...

I AM ANNOYED.

Track this.

Post WW2 process Latex contains animal protiens, because its cheaper to maker that way. Repeated exposure to these protiens are what eventually causes latex contact allergies. Which means that the nice folk you encounter latex all the time are tyhe most likely top become allergic to it. so WHY are virtually ALL flexible medical products made with it? I'd be willing to pay the extra 20-30% it'd cost to make them with hypoallergenic pre WW2 process latex, just to avoid giving my GF a hideous skin rash and possible scarring everytime her bad ankle goes out.

There is a lot of money to be made here somehow (I mean heck... I know a TON of latex clothing fetishists, many of whom develop an allergy to their biggest turn on) I'm thinking.