A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I may be repeating myself but here's the score:

Federal Tax Refund: $405

State Tax due: $163

Cost for Tax preparation by my parent's accountant: $440.

the CPA charges $175/Hour.

Her assistant who assisted in the process, $70/hour.

So it took them a little less than two hours combined.

nice work if you can get it.

I think when we met for our 15 minute appointment she might have mentioned that she charged $175/hour. Since I had run the whole thing on Turbo Tax and come up with very similar numbers and don't consider myself a risk for Audit. And if they did Audit me I'd probably be getting money from the feds afterwards anyway; I moght have thanked her for her time, paid her 42.50 for her fifteen minutes and simply turned my worksheet in. But no where on the agreement I signed was an actual listing of the per hour costs...

Oh well, live and learn.

http://www.andrewsullivan.com

Americans And Torture

22 Mar 2006 03:34 pm

According to this Pew poll, Americans favor torturing detainees in some circumstances by a wide margin. There's a reason John Kerry didn't bring it up in the debates. And there's a reason Cheney and Rumsfeld know they can continue the practice: they have widespread public support. Most disturbing to me are the high numbers of self-decribed Christians favoring torture: only 26 percent of Catholics oppose it in all circumstances, while only 31 percent of white Protestants rule it out entirely. If you combine those Christians who think torture is either never or only rarely acceptable, you have 42 percent of Catholics and 49 percent of white Protestants. The comparable statistic of those who are decribed as "secular," which I presume means agnostic or atheist, is 57 percent opposition. In other words, if you are an American Christian, you are more likely to support torture than if you are an atheist or agnostic. Christians for torture: it's a new constituency. Another part of the Bush legacy.

And there's more...

http://www.andrewsullivan.com

It's very important for some on the liberal-left to tar all conservatives with the Bush brush. His embrace of spending gobs and gobs of other people's money is what some on the left have always wanted. Bush has already conceded their basic point: "when someone hurts, government has got to move." All they need to do now is to raise taxes and then fix the Medicare plan to screw the drug companies and bingo! As I've said now for years, the only real fiscal difference between Bush Republicans and Kennedy Democrats is the difference between Big Insolvent Governent and Big Solvent Government.

But many left-liberals don't want this analysis to sink in with centrists, principled Republicans or fiscally conservative Democrats. So their preemptive move is to discredit the real conservatives who would actually like to restrain spending, rein in entitlements and keep much of the tax cuts (while reforming the tax code to eliminate the myriad deductions). So they have to insist that people like me and Bruce Bartlett are dishonest or have supported the Bush program all along, even when they know full well we haven't. This is the Krugman line as well. The aim is to discredit conservatism as a whole for a generation. Bush has done much of their heavy lifting for them. But they still need to discredit the handful of die-hard fiscal conservatives left.

Did you know that, if you leave the forums untouched except for a couple of new threads here and there, only read your subscribed threads otherwise, and don't use the "Mark the Forums Read" quick link for two weeks, you reach an equilibrium where you'll always have about 630 - 650 unread posts when you do a "New Posts" search?

Hunh.

Delirious with exhaustion, I stumble onward across the cratered moonscape, littered with the dismembered corpses of my hopes and dreams. My lungs burn; is it from the effort, or from traces of poison gas? There is no way to tell. Another shell falls nearby. My ears ring and a splinter cuts my face, a fresh sting that quickly adds itself to the other thousand cuts already inflicted on me, but I ignore it, staggering out of another crater and pressing on not from determination but from desperation.

Reality is not an accurate artillerist, but she never runs out of ammo.

Incoming.

Okay, so today is the day from hell. I work in an office of 8 people.

Manager, Assistant Manager, Me, Accounts personel (2) teller (1) Highschool Interns (2).

So today we have:

Awards banquent for managers (-2)

Finals week for our college aged employees (-2)

A spring break trip for one of the interns (-1)

Other intern works after school (3:30)

So today we were supposed to have someone from the float pool.

She was to arrive at noon, then 1PM because she had a funeral to go to. As of right now, she has not shown. Nor has she called. The HR people are unavailible because they are at the awards banquet. So my assistant manager is missing the banquet because she couldn't leave two of us by ourselves for two hours. I did not get my lunch until 3:30. The intern is in, but it will apparently be he and I only as the Float was supposed to close with us. I'm heap big pissed off at the lack of clue my regional office is showing.

Luckily I am so good at my job I can waste a day or three doing nuthing but teller work.

I decided to go sell at the club last night (Bondage A Go Go in SF, if anyone cares). Thought it might be a good night because they were hosting the afterparty for the Sisters of Mercy show.

BOY HOWDY was I right.

I got to dress up three very pretty girls, sold $445 worth of stuff (not special orders... sold straight off the rack) and acquired 8 more girls interested in working as models and boothkitties.

I'm kinda wiped out, but man do I love my job at times like this.

:smoke:

teeny tiny little teens

keep pouring out of my machine

i just typed a word

and i just pressed return

someone made this easy

someone made this inevitible

so for bringing me here

bill gates must die

must die

people stray, people stray

people stray, people stray

people stray, just don't say

i'll never make it back intact

teeny tiny little teens

keep pouring out of my machine

backdoors, passwords galore

only the hackers

only the feds know

know know where i've been

know just how far out i've been

so for bringing me here

bill gates must die

must die

Not sure where to put this ... 250-year-old tortoise dies

There's a game story angle here, if your campaign includes the ability to converse meaningfully with animals. A tortoise might not have the perspective you are used to, but he was an eyewitness to just about the full era of control of India by the British. You might be able to get some campaign mileage out of that sort of thing, in a fantasy or maybe a pulp-type campaign. Have to think about that.

:eek: repeat :eek:

Hi, folks!

Remember last summer/autumn? Hurricane season? Dennis, Emily, Katrina, Rita, and a bunch of others. Fun stuff, eh?

Guess what: Looks like they are forecasting La Nina conditions for the coming few months.

For reference, last summer we had neutral to weak El Nino conditions in the Pacific.

But La Nina conditions are associated with greater hurricane damage in the US.

Comment #1: :eek:

Comment #2: Sell off your Gulf Coast real estate.

Comment #3: If you own stock in property-casualty insurance companies, you might consider selling that, too.

"See, you just used "women" and "logic" in the same sentence. That's your problem right there."

I'm going to two weddings this weekend.

The first one I'm helping to do video work.

The second is for friends of my wife.

Renilla (bride) had a fling with Darian. Jake (groom) says Darian can't come to the wedding. Renilla says fine, then nobody from Wikiwiki School (where Renilla and Darian work) won't be invited. But that's ok because those people will be invited to Karla and Harry's wedding.

I didn't understand the whole it's ok that they don't come to our wedding because they're going to go to somebody elses' wedding thing.

I did understand that Jake didn't want Darian to go to the wedding as Renilla had a fling with him. Makes sense to me and I told my wife the same.

She gave me the 'Shadowpup, you're a retard' look and said, "It's her wedding, she can invite whoever she wants."

What? she had a fling with the guy, of course the groom doesn't want that guy at his wedding. No, it's HER wedding and she should be able to invite whoever she wants.

Women have some messed up logic.