A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Lycanthropy can be cured by a three-week series of daily enemas, starting with 3% barium sulfate, 0.01% silver sulfate, and gradually reversing those proportions. The barium serves as a buffer against against the silver; immediate introduction of 3% silver sulfate usually kills both the afflicted person and the person(s) administering the treatment.

Strangely, the discovery of this cure not only has failed to reduce the incidence of lycanthropy, it seems to have increased the mortality rate among health workers in areas where it has been field tested. Disease control personnel are scratching their heads over that one.

Just got back from Jack in the Box. At the drive through, they accidentally gave me a second chocolate shake. I turned it down.

I'm not diabetic, but I'm scared to death of becoming one, and I know from experience that if I eat THAT much ice cream, my system is gonna be F'ed up for hours if not days.

I must be getting older. Either that or more aware of how much damage I'm doing to myself.

JG

Just for the moment, ie a decade, can we have no Star Trek or Star Wars films tv series. Something completely new would be great. With the phrase 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' in mind, a good length of time for a break should renew interest in the franchise(s) then. Hopefully they won't suck too.

a leaky heart will hold no water

a brand new start could set you on fire

you want a new start

Just for the moment' date=' ie a decade, can we have no Star Trek or Star Wars films tv series. Something [b']completely new[/b] would be great. With the phrase 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' in mind, a good length of time for a break should renew interest in the franchise(s) then. Hopefully they won't suck too.

That would be nice, but Firefly got cancelled :(. At least they got to make a movie.

"I saw a guy put himself out of the running with a whole bar full of women. He was nice enough... blond... handsome... well-dressed. We guys went out for a look at his Porsche Carrera. So, we're back inside listening to him hold forth about the great job and the great house and how he kept everything--including custody of his daughter--in the divorce.

"'This is her,' he said as he lifted his shirt.

"He had a photo-quality tattoo of his daughter's face on his chest!

"The guys thought it was just weird until the ladies pointed out the squick factor of staring up at Little Miss Sunshine while they're in the missionary position.

"We went 'EW!'"

(from salon.com's Table Talk.)

On Thursday I finished Suikoden Tactics.

This weekend I openned all the RPGs for my PS2 that I hadn't played yet. Threw about five of them in and played until I got bored. It looks like out of the first five I have four winners! I was surprised, a bit, because I don't have that discerning of taste.

Micro review based on <10 hours play on each of the five games.

Winners:

Grandia III, the first Grandia game was made for the Sega Super System or some such. Dreamcast? I think it was older than that. But it was FUN. It totally caught my imagination. The prototypical plots were all there but they were really disguised through the bulk of the game by the feeling of exploration. The following two games Grandia II and Grandia Extreme were okay, II was a bit darker, Extreme was more of a loveletter to their combat system which is quite fun. This game however, reminds me of the first in so many good ways. The music thus far has been light and fun, the chracters have been well voiced and amusing. The graphics are as good as can be expected (We're nearing the end for the PS2 and companies can really get the graphics nicely now) Character design is good if not ground breaking. The fact that you begin your adventures with you mother as the other character in your party amuses me to no end.

Stella Deus: Tactical RPG; quite standard in play and plot. Pretty animation sequences and interesting character designs. I like my TRPG's and even though they are almost identical in set up and execution, they can keep me entertained. I do tend to bog down and unless kept really held on by the storyline will generally find something else to play before I have finished.

Tales of LEgendia: Sweet game, silly to look at, but easy to play and a compelling enough storyline that I have managed to ignore the stupid names of the characters. Shirley? Stella? Grune? Norma? The only female character with a decent name is Chloe. The guys are Senal, Jak, Bryan. Guh. The game is broken up into acts basically, I defeated the master villain in the first one...Now I am unsure of what to do.

Artilier Iris: Eternal Mana

This is the sixth Artilier (Alchemist) game but the first to hit the states. The animation is good 2d bordering on excellent. The characters are engaging, and the voice acting is good. There is a lot of humor and customizing devices, weapons, attacks, armors, bonding spirits to character, helping towns grow, stores become more successful and exploring the world is alot to do.

(And the pop culture references are as well done as can be expected; one of the items I made is an "Energy Drink". It's called Blue Bull, and the description says: "Blue Bull gives you runs" AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA My kind of humor!)

Loser:

Magna Carta.

I like Hyung Tae Kim's art. With this game he goes a little coo coo with anatomical proportions but I like his work. That being said this game is a horrible showcase for it. In combat, it's real time but you controll all three characters in your party and having two stand there while one chases after the monster is dumb. Perhaps I am missing an automate command but I was not impressed. And the artistic vision is wasted on bad 3d modelling and such cluttered screens that you can barely make out what the people are supposed to look like. The tutorials took me two hours and it took me five minutes to hit my first monster due to the fact that you must make 3 timed button presses to hit. I was not impressed and will probably never play this game again. Poster's nice.

Next week, 4 or 5 more games!

It's just a good feeling, abit a strange one. Over the last couple of days, whist driving I've been wearing a one-size-fits-all-cap that doesn't quite fit, but I'm too lazy to alter it, and I've gotten used to it. The car I drive have a roof (not a convertible) so wearing a cap, is well, stupid. But I like it. :)

The Beatles indeliblely transformed popular music has become cliche. Their music is overblown/hyped is also a cliche.

I don't think I'll ever become a Beatles fan.

I heard 5 songs on the radio that formed the above muse, and these are my comments about them.

• Strawberry Fields Forever - 2.5/5 - I See For Miles is much better psychedelia.

• Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - 2.5/5 - reminds me of the song (not the album) Ziggy Stardust & The Kink's The Village Green Preservation Society. Unlike those songs Sgt. Pepper has a "hard" edge to it, where has Strawberry Fields has a softer edge which suits it better.

• With A Little Help From My Friends - 3/5 - Joe Cocker's cover is universally aclaimed better. As a bit of whimsy Ringo's vocal works.

• Lady Madonna - 3/5 - I dislike the overt deralict religious Mary lyrics, but the music makes up for it. Over the whole 5 songs, I like this one best.

• Hey Jude - 3.5/5 - A lullaby, and this is probably why the song has lasted so long.

The Beatles indeliblely transformed popular music has become cliche. Their music is overblown/hyped is also a cliche.
While I agree with the rest of your post (despite actually being a Beatles fan)' date=' I must disagree that these statements are cliche. They simply don't fit the definition of the word. Overused they are, but not to the point of losing originality, and instead of being a truism, they are in fact actually true. But I'm probably still just as sick of hearing them as much as you are. I just wouldn't call them cliche. I don't know what I'd call them, other than perhaps "couldn't you just shut up and talk about some [i']other[/i] genre forming, decade spanning, musically progressive band for a while because there was more than one and countries and still popping them out-isms".

My dad sent me an e-mail this morning, remarking on my Kessa short stories. He thinks Kessa, herself, isn't very well-developed as a character. I explained that's what roleplaying her was for.

He must've found the link on my website to my writing LJ, where I've been posting the stories, not-friends-locked. Still, I had to think about what the heck he was doing reading my short stories about roleplaying characters, and where he'd found them.

While I agree with the rest of your post (despite actually being a Beatles fan)' date=' I must disagree that these statements are cliche. They simply don't fit the definition of the word. Overused they are, but not to the point of losing originality, and instead of being a truism, they are in fact actually true. But I'm probably still just as sick of hearing them as much as you are. I just wouldn't call them cliche. I don't know what I'd call them, other than perhaps "couldn't you just shut up and talk about some [i']other[/i] genre forming, decade spanning, musically progressive band for a while because there was more than one and countries and still popping them out-isms".
My post is in the Musings on Random Musings thread because of Old Man, creator of this threads first post:
I feel the need to spew random thoughts onto a public board from time to time so I thought I'd start up a thread to do it. Of course everyone else is welcome to spew here also--the only rule is that you cannot reply to someone else's post. Each post should have as little to do with the others as possible.