A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I just feel sad and have a down mood in general, about the Victorian Bushfires. All that loss of life, human, wild animal life, and trees and the sheer destruction is unfathomable. And that someone I know, only from the Net, not IRL has personally had friends die from the bushfires. People never to share life's joy with again.

All this just makes me sombre. :( :(

Why are the Dems so concerned with getting the Republicans to vote for teh Porkulous Bill? If it's a good bill wouldn't they want all the credit? This just proves to me it is very bad and they want the Republicans yea votes so the Dems can blame them.

I'm a bit overweight. Have been for a while. The main problem is that I simply haven't got time to exercise, not with two small kids and a needy wife. However, I have started to actually figure out my caloric intake. While I knew I was probably overeating, I didn't know how much until I actually did the math. I am making dietary changes accordingly, mostly through the reduction of portion sizes. I really ought to be able to get by on 1500 calories or less especially considering I fly a desk.

Last weekend was Denver's biggest Gaming convention: Genghis Con. And for the (mumble)th year running, my lovely bunny wife and I went there to run some games, play some games, and generally have a good time. This year, we were joined by Oddhat and Satinkitty, who decided to fly all the way out here to the hinterlands of the west just to visit with us and get a little gaming in!

Here's the highlights:

Thursday, I wanted to leave work a little early so I could get to the con and join BunnySue, Oddhat, and Satinkitty for dinner. Unfortunately, the gods of Too Much Work To Do and the gods of S**tty Traffic had a different idea; they conspired to prevent me from leaving work until almost 17:00, and then kept me stuck in traffic for a good half-hour. So instead of meeting up with the gang at Papadeaux Cajun resturant, I just went straight to the hotel and grabbed some noodles at a nearby place. :(

Luckily, I didn't have any games to worry about, so I just wandered around and chatted with folks I know. It's always good to catch up with folks that I only get to see once or twice a year. :thumbup:

Friday morning, bright and early, I went down to the mustering area and managed to sneak into a game of Call of Cthulhu, run by my dear friend (and hawt gamer chick) Alyson. We had a lot of fun, trying to figure out what destroyed a scientific research station on one of Jupiter's moons. Only one of us died, and only two of us went insane (which seemed to disappoint our GM). ;)

Friday afternoon, I joined Oddhat's Young Titans game. We managed to prevent the bad guys from committing their nefarious crime, which meant that the BIG bad guy never showed up. We were all quite proud of ourselves for actually managing to skirt around the Ultimate Challenge of the adventure. Oddhat seemed a little sad that we never got a chance to get our a**es kicked by the BIG baddie, but we all had a grand time. :thumbup:

Friday evening, I ran my Justice League by Gaslight game. I was a little bit unprepared to run, because I was starting to feel a little under the weather. But I still managed to pull it off. The heroes defeated the bad guys and managed to foil a plot to assassinate the Queen and conquer the Green and Pleasant Land of Great Britain, and vowed to stay together to form a team. I got a perfect score on my GM's rating sheet, so I was very happy about that. :)

Then I staggered up to my hotel room and collapsed into bed.

Saturday morning, I got up and went to a painting class. I learned a few new things, but I was really starting to feel rotten by this time. I had somehow picked up a case of the Con Crud (despite my precautions). I had a second class which I could barely pay attention to because I was just feeling plain crappy. I even managed to splatter a giant glob of paint all over myself and the girl sitting next to me (which didn't help my mood). :(

Since I was feeling so terrible, I decided to skip my next game (BigDamnHero's PS238 game) and go back to my hotel room to sleep. I'm sorry I had to miss it, because by all reports it went really well. I felt much better when I woke up, grabbed some dinner, and made it downstairs in time to muster for my Arabian Adventures game. I met another boardie (Grizzly and his lovely wife). My players were spectacular in that game; they really got into their characters and into the spirit of the game. The guy playing Yuzeed (the Strongest Man in the World!) was awesome. And once again, despite being nearly overcome by the evil viruses in my head, I managed to get another perfect score on my GM Rating card. :thumbup:

Sunday morning, at Way-Too-Early-O'clock, I ran my Teen Titans Go! game. I really like to run this game on Sunday morning (the Dead Slot), because people tend to be tired and loopy, and it's easy to get into a simple, goofy game like Teen Titans Go!. Once again, I had a really great table full of players and everyone had a great time. Everyone was happy with my simplified character sheets, because at Oh-God-O'clock on Sunday morning, nobody wants to have to do math. ;) And somehow, I managed to get yet another perfect score! Three out of three -- w00t! :celebrate

The rest of the day, I mostly just hung out. Went to the dealer's room and spent a little money (but not too much!). I went to pick up the miniatures that I entered into the painting contest, and was shocked to find that I had won two Silvers and three Bronzes. Competition was really fierce this year, and I wasn't expecting to go home with anything! :rockon:

Overall, we had a great time (despite getting sick). We can hardly wait for next year!

I'm trying not to pat myself on the back too much, but my latest attempt at an exercise program is now on 21 consecutive days of push ups(30) and Situps (60) and walking 5 days a week. I have broken my previous "consecutive days of some exercise" record by...18 days. :o