A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

When it's a nice temperature I love to walk in the rain. A little windy today, but otherwise perfect.

When it's too cold to walk I love the sound of it outside.

Now the best is when it's sunny and raining at the same time.

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm working on some miniatures for the upcoming Genghis Con convention in Denver in February. Here's what I'm working on:

A squad of Basti skirmishers (http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-313.jpg -- WARNING: nekkit catgirl minis; NSFW). I've got four done, three more in process. I just need to buy a heroine/squad leader and a standard bearer.

I'm also working on a diorama, with a Heru Harbinger (http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-214.jpg) fighting a Khemru warrior (http://www.crocodilegames.com/secure/items/WGE-107.jpg). I've got the diorama put together; I just need to paint it now. I think it'll look pretty sweet. :thumbup:

If I have time, I may put together a Reaper treant (ent, tree-man, whatever the heck they call it) model I got at Christmas (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=5145&cat=118&page=9).

I've got a few others I've done in the last year or so that might be competition-worthy. I modded a Reaper Chronoscape fig to look like she's leaping backwards off a cliff, blazing away with her guns (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=5563&cat=140&page=1). I'll have to look around and see if I have anything else worth entering... :think:

I finished the minis I'm using for my Teen Titans Go! game a couple of weeks ago, so my game minis should all be done and I can concentrate on my competition minis. :celebrate:

Queue intro music... In the criminal justice system the politicians are represented by two separate but equally important groups: the police who run bag, and the district attorney who prosecutes those who refuse make graft payments in a timely manner. Oh, wait, sorry... James Ellroy isn't a writer on Law& Order.

"Daddy, what's that?"

"What?"

"That thing that the boy in the picture is holding."

"Oh, that. Well... it looks like a toy gun."

"What's a gun?"

"Well, you point it at something and pull the trigger, and it shoots stuff out of the end really fast to make holes in things. Real guns are very dangerous."

"What's it for?"

I can't believe how many good movies Wal-mart has in their bargain DVD section. This week I scored copies of Spiderman 1 & 2, Superman Returns, X-Files: Fight the Future, and Collateral (They had more good movies, but I had to limit myself.) All were $5 each! :thumbup:

I died. But I wasn't fully dead yet. I had to be recycled into a new life, so They came and took my body. I could talk to them even though my body was dead. I was trapped inside of it, and the only way out was for them to destroy the body. They told me that they were going to drop me down a 500 foot shaft into a set of blades that would instantly destroy me, so fast that I wouldn't feel anything. I would be aware of the fall, though, and that scared me more than final destruction.

Then I awoke, and they were implanting details of my new life, including my purpose, and I would begin again. There was one problem: I remembered my old life. That was not allowed.

I just saw The Dark Knight for the first time. What a depressingly dark, but well done film. It is very much like you can see the panels of the comic being brought to life. It tops Spider-Man for sheer comic-bookiness in a movie and transcends the movie genre of comic book adaption. The Dark Knight is just a film, and a good one at that.

Is it just me or is the most sane character in the film The Joker?

His moments of lucidity, eg when he is in prison, philosophically make sense outside of the context of the film. He seems to be the only one in control, the one who gets the underlying nature of this world and for the character abuses that knowledge, directing it for chaos/anarchy. Ledger's portrayal of the Joker reminds me so much of the Fool, that The Joker really is smart etc, and is playing the role of the joker/fool/idiot and I didn't get the sense that Ledger's portrayal of the character was dumb. There is very much a rationality to it.

All that said, I'm not inclined to watch the film again. RIP Heath, may your ledger be squared.

In one thread I've let somebody get under my skin. I'm letting my impatience with him show and went out of my way to spell out his faults.

In another thread, I'm being the voice of moderation and expressing the opinion that neither side of the issue being discussed is unreasonable - it's just that the people on either side are being a little unreasonable about their reasonable positions.

I'm getting rep in the latter but not the former, which is probably a good thing.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary is definitely a good thing.

Yet another branch is closed in our system now. This one was due to problems with the heater. That's two of our seven branches closed, including the main branch. The county's estimate of opening the main library in January is looking more and more foolish as the date gets pushed back to April now. We are becoming a laughing stock. Thank you, county government, for taking such good care of your facilities.

I suppose I should be grateful that nobody has been laid off. Yet. But the more dysfunctional the organization becomes the less I want to be here. And I haven't wanted to be here in a long time as it is. With a second branch down, that means more employees being relocated. I'm already relocated. More people here means I will likely lose my desk and my computer. I'm the de facto webmaster here. No computer access, nothing to do.

Dammit, I hate this place.