A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

It's lunchtime. As I'm walking out the door I let the receptionist know I'm going to lunch with a girl friend.

"Mexican?" she asks.

"No, she's white." I innocently reply.

There's a long pause, then she says, "I meant, are you going to that Mexican restaurant you were telling me about?"

:o

:doi:

:lol:

What a weird week.

Opened the big Winter show, A Christmas Carol, natch, the same day one of our eldest cats died. We knew it was coming, as she was 18 years old, but her absence is felt. Bye Furball.

Just sort of imploded with a cold over the weekend and slept a lot.

Then found out one of my coworkers killed himself.

He was a good kid. He'll be missed.

I'm probably not going to his services.

I suspect my distaste for hypocrisies would intrude on the families grieving needs, so I'm respectfully staying away.

I can make my peace with him in private.

It's been a weird week.

I don't know if it is just depression or a panic attack. But I couldn't contemplate going out and facing people today. I may have lost my job over it. I was right on the edge of my allowed absences.

Edit: I had one more left so no lost job.

I was idly perusing recipes for Glogg, and stumbled across this beautiful quote...

A short warning

Glogg is basically a type of swedish mulled wine, the ancient form of recreational pharmaceuticals designed to make one forget that no one bathed, it was cold as hell, you couldn't go anywhere because of the snow, and your home was made of stones and straw and poo. It is in Glogg's nature to knock you on your ass before you're aware of what's happening, so do plan accordingly for what this will do to people.

I'm having an issue with my Garak characterization for my To Boldly Go! PBEM.

Quick notes: one year after dominion war, bajor in federation, cardassian union imploded and only has a few core planets left, kira is a captain in starfleet and commander of the akira class uss-seraph, garak is unbeknownst to anyone the new head of the ressurected obsidian order, the seraph has taken on some cardassian advisors (incl. garak) who are supposed to help her track down a rogue cardassian ship that survived the joint cardassian-romulan assault on the omarrian nebula (and therefore has a cloaking device). Gul Gorram is one of the other cardassian advisors and the players have figured out he and Garak are locked in some sort of internal power struggle centered on the return of the rogue ship....

Dialogue:

Gul Gorram said he was in mandatory refusal,” Garak corrected. “I merely explained what that meant. I find it difficult to conceive of a contingency that could survive a five year hiatus, military defeat in detail, and a regime change. Don't you? Not even Enabran Tain could have done that.”

“So he was lying.” Kira frowned, eying Garak.

“Yes, and doing so badly, I might add.”

“And you played at playing along?”

“Yes – unlike Gorram, I'm a very good liar.”

“Too good.” Kira complained. “I haven't figured out why you're here, Garak.”

“I find your suspicious nature titillating, Captain.” Garak mock leered. “May I call you Nerys?”

Kira shot him a withering look. “Do you ever tell the truth?”

“All of it? Never, Captain.” Garak said – Cheshire Cat. “But once I've told enough lies I can prove very enlightening.”

I was a bit bored today. I decided to try to connect major star trek worlds to real stars. When I used DS9 distances-references it kind of worked. Kind of. When I used TNG distances-references... total disaster. TOS was worse... did these people ever looks at a star chart? Never mind. I know the answer. "Quick Mr. Data: Engage the McGuffin Drive! Maximum Guff!"