A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Supposedly, Friday Jan 23 is National Pie Day. Again supposedly, campus food services will be participating in the festivities. Yes, there are some really cute women behind the counters on this campus, but that seems unusually ... forward-thinking for a Jesuit university.

"Hot air balloons are filled with helium gas, which, when heated, becomes less dense than the surrounding air, causing the balloon to rise."

Gotta love children's books full of misinformation. Why make them educational when we can fill them full of pseudofacts that they may or may not have to unlearn later? Why are such undereducated people editing children's books anyway?

I am a pirate, as far as the children of the world are concerned.

I'm good with this, and in recent years have encouraged the trend.

at work I am known as The Pirate.

My nephew, who is a month from his 3rd Birthday, idolizes me.

He wandered up into my workshop for the first time last week, on a very purposeful mission of exploration. My pride all slinked out of wherever they'd been sleeping to see who the new person was. He was a bit overwhelmed by the feline flood that descended on him (all four cats happened to be in the shop at the time), but let loose with a delighted "Oh?! Kitties!"

when he'd gotten his fill of petting them, he looked up and sort of did a pan and scan of the room. The wall full of old chart style maps, the bo'suns whistle on a chain, the antlers full of Mardi Gras beads, the faeries and swords on the walls, and finally the billowing Jolly Roger over my computer.

He got very excited. "Oh, a pirate flag!"

*he has apparently got in into his wee head that "Oh" is the perfect expression of surprise*

Fast forward to the end of the week. I went to go visit so I could use my sisters tempering machine to cast some dark chocolate desert cups.

And of course to hang out with Ruari.

Just as I was leaving, he peeled on of my gloves off and put in on himself, very carefully getting his wee fingers in all the right hols and closing the strap across the back of his hand. Even so, he had to hold his hand up to keep it on. In his red thermal shirt with my comparatively ginormous black leather fingerless glove on, he sort looked like a Hellboy cosplayer, but he immediately started stomping around going "Arrrrrr! Arrrrr! I'm a Pirate! You, go there! You, go there! Arrr!".

I was rolling.

The next day, while Sis and Mom were talking, this fragment was overheard and passed on by Mom.... "I know you're a pirate, but that doesn't mean you can hit the dogs. You have to be a good pirate like your Uncle. Does Uncle Eric hit the dogs?"

The very next day, Ru was watching a pirate cartoon with his Dad and it "connected" with him just what a cutlass was. He proceeded to swing around a variety of straight or slightly curved objects in mock swordplay. Until Dad brought him into his office.

Ruari stopped dead in his tracks, apparently so excited he was shaking.

On the wall of my Brother in Laws office/studio is a highly polished and engraved machete given to him by the village blacksmith from the African village he taught basic computer use classes for 6 months a few years ago.

My Nephew was staring at , trembling.

"Papa, you have a REAL cutlass!"

Then,turning to stare at his father in awe

"Papa, are you a Pirate, TOO?!"

When I say that I hate my job I don't mean it in the same way that the guy who looks like Freddy Mercury working in the McDonald's drive thru might mean it. I know that there are a lot worse jobs out there. However I do hate my job in the sense that it is a source of endless frustration and i go home pissed off almost every night.

Right now I'm typing this on an underpowered, neutered laptop while sitting in my new office, the staff lounge. We have not one, not two, but THREE branches not opening right now. Our staff is overflowing in this system, so I don't have a desk or a computer with access to the intranet. I'm feeling so useless and dehumanized at this point i could cry.

It doesn't help that I've been without my medication for a couple days, I admit. Not tht the situation would change, but my reaction might.

You know how Top 40 radio is repetitive? It ain't got nuthin' on Country radio. In my vanpool, we have the radio set to a country station. Every day, morning and evening, I hear two songs. Alan Jackson's "Country Boy" and Craig Morgan's "International Harvester."

Every. Single. Day. Twice a day. And I only listen to those stations for about 45 minutes at a time.

I generally like country music, but these are not even good songs. :thumbdown.

I just deactivated my Facebook account. I never use it since I am too busy with other stuff. All those weird passing drink and pokes and other odd stuff meant nothing to me. I'd log on once in a blue moon to find all sorts of meaningless messages all stacked up.

I was giving some thought to number systems and how to explain it to my niece & nephew (if they should ever ask). During that, I think I realized that it's impossible to have a place value system without also having the concept of zero, but the reverse could be true.

For any math-heads out there, is this correct?

I never expected to find Vikings, Eskimos, and Disco, all mentioned in close proximity in the same context...

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary has four feet and one footnote: A History of the Vikings, by Gwynn Jones.

German Longsword is different enough from Scottish/Irish Greatsword techniques that I'm going to have to reprogram my kinesthetic memory.

The sore muscles feel good tho, and it was nice to see my old Captain again (I've known the instructor for 22 years and was one of the Best men at his wedding)