A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

I don't like Hero Central. I appreciate the fact that a server exists to support PBP with the die rolling and whatnot. But it's so annoying to navigate that it's not a whole lot better than nothing. The threading is horrible. The emails it sends me are hard to read. It makes it so hard to refer back to what happened a couple of weeks ago that I just don't bother. The menu arrangement is arbitrary... it's like it's almost good, and that makes it even more irritating than it would be if it just outright sucked.

The things I miss out on when I neglect my various Social Networking sites...

Apparently, about a week ago a friend of mine was beat down by assailants wielding hammers. From the sound of it, he died in the OR, but they got him back.

There was a fair bit of brain damage, but from the reports he's still himself, albeit without the use of his right arm and with major speech center difficulties. His massage therapy business is almost certainly doomed, and once he's out of the ACU he's getting shipped back to his family in Oregon. The ones who kicked him out when he was 13.

I am full of a dull, unfocused rage.

About the only silver lining I can see is that, because he died, they get to charge his attackers with Murder.

We (Israelis) have recently entered our own recession, though its less severe than most places around the globe. In response our major supermarket chains have lowered prices on staple goods by 10-15%. Its not a government subsidy and nobody told them to do it. Their reasoning: "people have to eat." There are times when this country drives me absolutely nuts. But there are times I'm reminded its the only place for me. Its the dichotomy of Israeli life. The man who tries to run you off the road while gesturing rudely at you is the same guy who will come running at the drop of the hat to leave food on your doorstep (like a thief in the night so as not to embarrass you) because he heard you needed help. Our businessmen are no different. When times are good they are ruthless "slick yankee horse traders." But, when times are bad they rough it with everyone else and try to do their fellow a good turn. Its enough to make you dizzy.

Gott In Himmel!

I had to run into Jerusalem. Usually this is a good thing. Even when there is an anecdote. Some days, however, I wish I could take it back. I had to run through Ben Yehuda to get to an art supplies store I found last month. I ended up having to hop/dance/fight my way through a street concert...

An Israeli mariachi band in full south of the border regalia doing Steppenwolf covers in Hebrew...

Arsim taken to the nth degree.

They had freichah groupies and backup singers.

So wrong.

So many levels.

My eye sockets and ear canals are still spewing napalm.

My insides are still having spasms.

Wisky. Tango. Foxtrot.

Son of a motherless goat!

I won half a million dollars in the lotto. I spent most of the afternoon wandering with a silly grin on my face, figuring out how to break the news to my family. I decided I'd probably put most of it toward the mortgage, but leave some aside to buy a nice car and some electronics--after all, what good is winning the lottery if you can't enjoy it? Then I woke up. I almost cried.

Our crack computer services team continues to make the library a wonderful place to work.

Long story: there is a network drive, the Z: drive, on which we are supposed to store all of our documents. Last week, they decided to move the Z: drive. Without telling anybody. To make matters worse, they had backed up the Z: drive for this transfer six months ago. That's right, all files that were saved in the last six months were gone or reverted to an earlier, outdated version. After many people complained, they sent out an email saying "We moved the Z: drive. It didn't go as smoothly as planned."

So, having learned there lesson from the lack of notice thing, they warn us that they will be moving servers on Friday and we will be without any network or internet access during that time. It's a necessary move from the fire we had, I don't have a problem with that. What I DO have a problem with is the fact that they chose to do it on a Friday, one of our busiest days, followed by a weekend, which computer services doesn't work. If it went through perfectly, this wouldn't be a problem. These never go through perfectly. Never.

So they get the stuff up and running on Friday afternoon, and how do they alert us? Email. The email we couldn't be signed into. *headdesk* Sure enough, it ain't perfect. All weekend the computer connection was either intermittent or non-existent. Gee, couldn't see that one coming. Good thing our patrons are so patient and understanding.

Sheikha Maitha bint Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum

At 27 years old, Sheikha Maitha is the karate princess. She has achieved international recognition for representing the United Arab Emirates at international karate and tae kwon do competitions; she won the silver medal in the 2006 Asian games. Her father is the ruler of Dubai and the CEO of Dubai, Inc.

Eek. wouldn't want to hit on her...she'd hit back HARD!!!

source: Forbes - In Pictures: The 20 Hottest Young Royals

Ridiculous "romance" synopsis of the month

Wicked Beast / Tawny Taylor

"Terrified of felines in all forms, Cailey Holm is suddenly overcome with fear and desire when the dangerous, domineering alpha-cat of her darkest dreams becomes a reality and takes her back to his world where he demands her total submission."

Ahem, Microsoft is dead.

Oh not literally. But less fearful than what they once were. Now more than ever they are becoming the "new IBM".

And 1) their lack of success/profit with their consumer products; 2) the general industry downturn(1); and 3) the netbooks which is booming, which is forcing MS to compete against Linux with an OS older than the original iPods, and which MS (I'm sure) is not getting as much profit on as a Vista sale); yes Microsoft is indeed "winning" ;)

(1) IDC reports: In 4Q08, worldwide PC processor unit shipments declined –17.0% quarter over quarter (QoQ) and –11.4% year over year (YoY); market revenue declined –18.0% QoQ and –22.2% YoY to $6.78 billion.

Like Tonight I went to local supermarket to do some grocery shopping and been lately buying cheap DVDs there. One today came with a "security device enclosed" thing and I can't get it open. Any ideas from the collective brain-trust of NGD on how to get this case open?

So I go a scanning across Google for pictures of one of my favourite actresses Marlene Jobert and it comes up with pictures of Eva Green. Say what ? say I until I see some of the text that says mere which is French for mother.

And yep there it is a picture of the two of them together, Marlene is indeed Eva's mum.

And now I am going to Hell because I fancy the mother and the daughter.

Have you ever had a dream within a dream? You "wake up" and realize you were dreaming, and you go through your day. Except you're still asleep and dreaming about your day.

I rarely have those dreams, but I did earlier today.

And yes, one of my dreams the other week did turn into a musical.