A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Tammy and I had just boarded a subway. We were heading for a place called Faerie Grove. We were the only ones in our car and were looking out the window up front when the lead car derailed and we stopped. I told Tammy that we had to get out of the train and off the tracks because another train might come along (it was a busy route) and hit our train. We found a ladder going up and I started to climb it, but Tammy didn’t want to climb, so we found a stairway. She took the stairs, but I continued up the ladder because I could see they ended up in the same place.

We ended up in what looked like an old Victorian mansion that appeared to be semi-abandoned. The whole place was very dark and gloomy, but there were electric lights. Most of the rooms were abandoned, the furniture covered with sheets. There weren’t any people living in it, but the staff was still around, led by an old woman named Mrs. Raitz. Mrs. Raitz was tall and gaunt and very very pale, and had a weird thing for frogs. I know there was other staff in the house, but I rarely saw them and never spoke with them.

I still wanted to get out of the mansion, so I kept looking for stairways going up. I felt like we were still underground, so going up was the way to get out. We finally got all the way up to the attic of the house, where the staff had their rooms. There were several rooms, each filled with very narrow beds (like one would find in a Victorian servant’s room).

Mrs. Raitz was trying to convince us not to leave. I’m not sure if she wanted us to stay and become the new masters of the house, or if she wanted us to join the serving staff. But we were adamant that we wanted to leave, so she led us into a room where she had been doing dishes. She pulled a lever and I saw sunlight streaming down from above us.

It turned out that we were in an elevator, going up. We popped out at the train station at Faerie Grove; the elevator came up into an unused part of the station. The train we were supposed to have taken had just arrived, so we weren’t late. The train station was painted bright yellow, with a red roof, and there were flowers and green grass everywhere. There seemed to be a celebration going on.

Mrs. Raitz told us that if we wanted to leave, we could, but if we did so we would never be able to find our way back to the mansion again. She seemed sad that we were leaving, but as cool as that old house was, I didn’t want to live the rest of my life without ever seeing sunshine again. So we elected to stay aboveground.

I also had the feeling that if I tried hard enough, I would be able to find the mansion again someday.

I'm not much of a sports fan, but I've been enjoying the Australian Open immensely. There have been so many great matches and excellent plays. Federer and Nadal start playing for the championship in a couple of hours. You know I'll be tuning in!

I'm thinking about getting into Warmachine. The Demo guy at my FLGS is going to run me thru a demo game next week sometime, then I'll see if I want to play, and which faction.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Cygnar with a Confederate Grey paint scheme.

Anyone play? or have any opinion on the game?

I had just entered the BART station when I saw a kid selling candy. I bought one. That would have been the end of it, except I saw a smaller kid also trying to sell candy too. She had a desperate look on her face. So what else could I do? I bought some from her too. Well, I couldn't just leave her looking so sad, could I?

The Biology Department invites you to celebrate Charles Darwin’s 200th birthday on Thursday, Feb. 12. All are welcome to the Darwinival from noon to 1:30 p.m. in the Biology Atrium (Bannan, first floor). Evolution-themed games will be set up. Festivities will include a display of Darwiniana, as well as cake and prizes.

Ummm ... in an "evolution-themed game" shouldn't most participants, like, die? :angst:

In today's sermon, the pastor chose a reading that described Jesus' healing the sick and exorcising demons from the possessed. He then went on to explain that demons are real, and that they are responsible for the economic meltdown. So I guess we could beat the recession with a crucifix or three.

I try really hard to convince myself that organized religion is much more than institutionalized superstition. I do. Honest.

Ridiculous "romance" synopsis of the month

Pleasures of the Forbidden Valley / Diana Mercury

"Agreeing to marry a man from a remote and forbidden Himalayan valley in exchange for access to his village, ambitious anthropologist Diandra arrives in her new home after an arduous journey only to learn that she is also the wife of all of the man's brothers, with whom she must ritually consummate each marriage."