A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

Re: A Thread for Random Musings

Ridiculous "romance" synopsis of the month

The Dangerous Book for Demon Slayers, by Angie Fox

"Preschool teacher turned demon slayer Lizzie Brown, along with her grandma's coven of biker witches and a talking terrier, arrives in Las Vegas to take down a gorgeous succubus who has her sights on world domination - and Lizzie's hot 'protector' Dmitri."

Reportedly, before Islam, the Kaaba in Mecca was home to the images of 360 Deities.

It sounds like the ancient Arabs had a well-rounded religion.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary retorts that Lucius is basing that conclusion on circular reasoning.

an unconnected series of events trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge brings forth an unprecedented level of communication trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge we acquiesce to new forms of cooperation trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge design by function creates another trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge there is no choice but to march forward trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge trudge progress is not terrorism.

Wagon Mound, New Mexico

I was driving down I-25, we're a few hours outside of Raton, heading south. The back of the VW has four boxes in it, and a couple bags with clothes. The beetle can only do about 60 or 70 with the weight in it.

As we pass Wagon Mound I wonder if maybe I shouldn't have checked the belt before leaving Denver.

Which is about the point the alternator light came on - I'm as surprised as anyone that it functioned. This was the car that when you went to use the wiper fluid the steering column grounded itself and cut out all the electronics in the vehicle, the fuse for one of the headlights kept popping so I soldered a solid piece of metal in place to stop it and the speedometer's spring broke so it did nothing, and the battery was held inside the car by an old license plate since the floor had rusted out.

1974 white super beetle.

So about Wagon Mound the alternator light comes on, and a couple of thumps are head from the engine. Not the normal thumps you get from an aircooled 4-cylinder. Decidedly unfriendly thumps. We rolled to a stop, get out and pop the back. The belt has come apart. It didn't just break, it blew itself into many many hot rubbery pieces on the inside of the engine.

What are the chances the two buildings in Wagon Mound this side of the train tracks have a replacement belt? Well, both buildings are gas stations with garages. They actually have the parts. Too bad the car never starts again.

Ever.

Interesting thing about Wagon Mound. About two years previous to the beetle we were passing through the area - this time doing about 100 or more. Denver to Albuquerque Air Museum in 4 hours. I'll let you do the math, and we didn't slow down through Raton Pass.

We stop in Wagon Mound for... I actually don't know. It could have been gas. But in Wagon Mound there was a single payphone. The thing to note about this payphone is that it had not been upgraded in a long time. Just because a phone uses buttons does not mean it uses modern technology. Did I say a long time? We could still Blue Box it. And did so. Luckily someone also had a Red Box on them, made things easier. If we had a Black Box Wagon Mound would have lost phone service. Alas, that is non-standard equipment.

On the second stop through Wagon Mound we thinkg "aha! phone booth!" - nope. No phone booth. It's been removed.

How's that for karma? we probably foiled our own plans to call for help when the beetle lost the belt.

Then there's Quinter, Kansas. But I wasn't there for that one, I only have it second hand.

Nothing, but nothing, gets me reputized like posting characters does.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that once we got a ton of rep for a political post - but by and large, more rep comes from write ups than almost everything else put together.