A Thread for Random Musings

Old Man

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

Cereal box dominoes!

Heh.  On one of my last baby-sitting gigs ever, I was baby-sitting a 3-year-old girl who had a stack of those hardbound pre-reader story books that was nearly as tall as she was.  After reading a few of those to her, I showed her how to set them up slightly opened, making chains so that she could play Book Dominoes.  I don't think her parents were all that happy with me when she showed them this the next day....

20 minutes ago, death tribble said:

Muggle is a jazz aged word which meant that people smoked marijuana.

Louie Armstrong fans have been laughing about that one for 95 years now.  Or at least since Sorcerer's Stone came out.

The word is pretty much both the substance and the smoker.  A muggle is a joint is a nail is a spliff is a bone, etc. but they're all roaches in the end.  :)

On 12/15/2023 at 10:33 PM, Pariah said:

Remember the original Battlestar Galactica, where Commander Adama made his log entries by speaking into a microphone and watching the words magically appear on his computer screen?

It's pretty crazy that I literally just did exactly the same thing to post this.

I still own a flip phone because they will take away my Star Trek communicator when they pry it from my cold, dead hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Heh.  I think I managed to get through all the chocolate I was given for Christmas 2022, but I might still have some buried in the morass.

This year it's less of an issue, because we as a family agreed to give smaller gift ensembles.

My American friend asked me if i parked out front as there was a spot. I replied to him: there was witches hats on the nature strip with a whipper-snipper so I parked down the road. He responded: "what does that mean"?

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

I can't speak for all Americans,obviously, but I don't personally know any that don't know what witches hats and nature strips are.

Around here that would be traffic cones, and the space between the curb and sidewalk proper, which is frequently covered in grass.  The cones would be a warning not park in street in front of them.

1 hour ago, Duke Bushido said:

That other thing-  some sort,of cop?

Whipper-snapper (usually with "young" in front of it) is an insulting term for anyone younger than you who's being a snot-nosed little brat in the US.  Used to be more explicitly reserved for actual kids, but it's become more of a general response to anyone who pulls out "Boomer" as an insult.   No idea if that's the intent here, though.  Maybe it does mean cop somewhere.

Hmmm - digging further, it appears to date back to UK in the 17th century, where it started as "snipper-snapper" which meant a young street thief/scammer, then morphed into whipper-snapper (based on urban loafers who sat around snapping whips for amusement), which also might have originally meant "highwayman" (for obvious reasons) then became conflated with snipper-snapper in the sense of any young layabout or petty criminal.  The modern for is somewhat less derogatory, if anything.

There's also a variant that's basically just "a young boy" from the same period, but that's boring.

Learns something new every day - or old, in this case. 

Edited by Rich McGee

10 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

Thanks, sincerely, but I am quite familiar with the American uswage of whipper-snapper; i digured Australiqn might be different, since it will apparently keep you from parking near them.

I think that's more the cones/witch's hats.  At least around here sticking on them on the curbside means "don't park, reserved" - if you put them in the street itself you'd block the space for whoever is supposed to be there.  Having some impertinent young twit standing there waving you off would be a useful backup for when people ignore the cones, though.

We had a guy shot last year for trying to keep someone from parking in a space reserved for delivery vehicles, and the shooter managed to add a hit-and-run to his crimes as he was fleeing the scene.

10 hours ago, dmjalund said:

a whipper-snipper is a grass cutting device (specialized in grass edges, as opposed to a lawn mower)

Locally that would be either an edger or a trimmer of some kind, with the trimmers that use spinning nylon cords to do the cutting also known as weedwhackers.  Can't decide which sounds cuter, whipper-snipper or weedwhacker.

• 2 weeks later...