2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

And Johnny Manziel has signed a contract -- with the Canadian Football League's Hamilton Tiger-Cats. He's trying to get back into the NFL, and playing in Canada is part of his plan to get back.

The CFL isn't that bad a place to learn how to be a quarterback. And it's easy to see why Hamilton took the risk -- they finished 2017 with a 6-12 record, second worst in the league of nine teams. The question of course is whether they are seeking publicity and aren't going to play him regularly. I still doubt he will attract an NFL team -- there are many better options for a #2 quarterback that are much less poisonous than Manziel.

Worst case scenario: Johnny Manziel regresses and is a flop in the CFL. Which doesn't particularly leave him in a worse place than he is right now.

Better scenario: Johnny Manziel figures out how to play Canadian football in ends up having a decent career in the Great White North.

Ideal scenario: Johnny Manziel becomes a star in the CFL, and eventually attracts the attention of an NFL team. Or not. Having a great career in the CFL is not a bad way to go.

Which of these will happen? Who knows? In any case, it's unlikely that things will get worse for him as a result of having signed this deal.

A year in Canada to build his game would have been a good option for Tim Tebow, actually. He did not take that route, instead choosing first broadcasting and then baseball. He should probably go back to broadcasting, actually, because he was good at it.

I don't really want Manziel to succeed in the NFL; not out of a sense of Schadenfreude, but because there are many better options without that baggage. a certain CK has a different sort of baggage, but has proven he can play decently at the NFL level. From a football standpoint, he'd be a much better backup QB for a team than Manziel.

Well, good to know that's all cleared up now....

NFL's national anthem policy will punish teams if players don't stand on sidelines

What could go wrong?

On a related note, the NFLPA's reaction to the new policy reads like this:

The NFL chose to not consult the union in the development of this new "policy." NFL players have shown their patriotism through their social activism, their community service, in support of our military and law enforcement and yes, through their protests to raise awareness about the issues they care about.

The vote by NFL club CEOs today contradicts the statements made to our player leadership by Commissioner Roger Goodell and the Chairman of the NFL's Management Council John Mara about the principles, values and patriotism of our League.

Our union will review the new "policy" and challenge any aspect of it that is inconsistent with the collective bargaining agreement.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

Well, good to know that's all cleared up now....

NFL's national anthem policy will punish teams if players don't stand on sidelines

What could go wrong?

I know my little slice of advertising or whatever they get from people watching won't matter, but I am done with the NFL. They are well within their rights as a commercial business to do what they feel is best, just as I am within mine to vote with my dollars (or pennies probably in this case).

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, Starlord said:

Well that's (unbelievably) less convoluted than the new kickoff rules....

It's like they forget they are playing a violent game.

Note: Not against safety,  but make some damn sense with your safety efforts  (and realize that you can only do so much without just giving up and go flag football)

14 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

There is very little that is less patriotic than compulsory patriotism. This is just another example of how little the NFL values its athletes.

To be honest, when I was little, I wasn't told to stand for patriotism.

However, I was told, that standing for the anthem was a show of respect  (akin to standing when a judge enters the courtroom)

Just a differing look on the ritual.  I admit at this I have no idea how anything applies to anything anymore.

My perspective is warped, as I grew up on & around military bases, where the patriotism thing is intentionally imposed on everyone involved for solid historical reasons.  Yeah, you kind of need your national armed forces to take loyalty to the Constitution very seriously.

By contrast, the very rich are as patriotic only insofar as it increases their personal profit, and have no compunctions about imposing it on everyone else as long as it makes for greater personal profit.  And this describes the NFL.  And while I'd like to segue into a political rant, I'd like even more to be allowed to continue to participate in the discussions here, so I won't fly off the handle.