2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

14 hours ago, Old Man said:

NFL employed polling firm to solicit opinions about Kaepernick specifically

I can't wait to see what he does with all the millions he's going to get from the lawsuit.

Pay his lawyers, like everyone else who gets millions of dollars in a lawsuit.

He is already known for his philanthropy, so that would probably continue, as would his activism.

The big question for him, though, is what to do after football, since it's clear ownership has decided he will never take another snap regardless of his skill or talent.

13 hours ago, Cancer said:

My perspective is warped, as I grew up on & around military bases, where the patriotism thing is intentionally imposed on everyone involved for solid historical reasons.  Yeah, you kind of need your national armed forces to take loyalty to the Constitution very seriously.

By contrast, the very rich are as patriotic only insofar as it increases their personal profit, and have no compunctions about imposing it on everyone else as long as it makes for greater personal profit.  And this describes the NFL.  And while I'd like to segue into a political rant, I'd like even more to be allowed to continue to participate in the discussions here, so I won't fly off the handle.

Yeah, true, if the NFL did give a damn, they'd show the Anthem before the game instead of a 15th Dodge Ram ad.  When you start thinking about it, at least I myself find many layers to my feelings on it.  ANd there aren't really any answers to be found.  

Probably asking too much right there.  I think for some the very act of protesting is a disrespect towards,  regardless of intentions.  And for many actions speak louder than words.  So we are back where we started.

(Off-topic slightly)  In any case, my cynicism has taken such complete control that I am credulous towards any notion that one side could possibly take a good faith approach towards their opponents.  But, miles vary, and I've driven over rougher roads.  

3 hours ago, Old Man said:

And we thought football was dangerous.

Well, I heard he was acting as pitcher, and with the mound 45 ft away, a hard liner up the middle is gonna hurt, especially if you don't play much softball, and don't think to duck or something.

He posted on social media later saying that he was fine, but he was going to need surgery to fix the damage to his nose. Here's the video. It's only 21 seconds long, but it's kind of hard to watch.

Yeah, in high school, when I was pitching I did have a ball that went by my left ear close enough where I felt the wind, and heard the seams cutting the air.  I also had another time where a hard groundball went through my legs that I referred to as a scrotum grazer (glad I had long legs that time, because I refused to wear a cup)

NoteL And when my dad was pitching batting practice to me one time, I hit one groundball back, he lifted his front leg to avoid it, which led it to perfectly ricochet off his back ankle (he had the stitch marking etched on his skin for well overa year as a reminder.

2nd Note: As far as impact on a MLB career, look up Herb Score.

Re: the NFL's "policy" on athletes and the national anthem ...

Things really haven't changed in fifty years.

At the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City, Tommie Smith and John Carlos made a silent protest on the medal platform after the 200 meter final.  Both were banned by the IOC for life.  Australian Peter Norman (silver medalist) wore a badge in sympathy with them.  He wasn't banned, but Australia did leave him off the team in 1972.  Of course in those days Olympians were officially amateurs, so no contractual hold was on them.

Yeah, for awhile there Roethlisberger needed to be locked in a cage every other off-season.  As it seemed exactly 2 years apart from each other he had to go bug on a windshield while on his motorcycle to quiet offseason to alleged rape to quiet offseason to alleged rape.