2018-19 NFL Thread.

Enforcer84

The variance from year to year in football means no one's a terribly strong favorite, so a .500 team from last year, under the right circumstances, isn't gonna be that long a shot.  That said, Browns at 60-1 is absurd.  Now, basketball is less variable, to be sure, but the odds to win the conference in the NBA are here:

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-championship-odds-2019-warriors-lakers-celtics-76ers-rockets-sixers-lebron-james-finals/192xpsbbybgvu1fy8v6uht9ovu

And yeah, almost half the teams in the league are 100-1 or worse...to win the conference.  

These days, heck...I know the first 4 regular season games count, but they're still *bad* football.  It's the real preseason.  A 4-0 start has collapsed to a 6-10 season on more than one occasion, or at least it's felt that way.  8-8 and miss the playoffs, for sure.  Yeah, I'll watch, but like a lot of others, the amount's dropped considerably over the last several years.  Some of it is the terrible game offerings, especially on Thursday and Monday.  Some of it is simple oversaturation;  there's too many games on.

13 hours ago, Old Man said:

This preseason seems unusually low on debilitating injuries. 

Of name players, or just generally?  I haven't paid enough attention.

If it's name players, how much of that is simply due to the fact they're not on the field?  And, does that mean we'll probably see a rash of em once real game start?

It's also tricky to remember from one year to the next, how many there are.  

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/8/17/17705998/23-biggest-injuries-nfl-offseason-so-far-preseason-guice-verrett-beachum-baldwin-sorensen

But that's just this year;  no idea how many there've been in past years.  It's like saying "it's been unusually dry [or wet, hot, whatever] this summer"...perhaps, but memory's bad on stuff like this.

18 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The variance from year to year in football means no one's a terribly strong favorite, so a .500 team from last year, under the right circumstances, isn't gonna be that long a shot.  That said, Browns at 60-1 is absurd.  Now, basketball is less variable, to be sure, but the odds to win the conference in the NBA are here:

With rosters of 12 and five men on the court at a time, basketball is a sport where the ability of individual players is pretty much everything that determines victory or defeat. System is very important, of course, as is coaching, but in the end you are carried on the shoulders of your best players. Aside from a few skill position, football is more reliant on group effort and discipline. Add in that pro football careers are shorter than the equivalent careers in basketball (with some notable exceptions, mostly among quarterbacks) and you get a more volatile league.

23 minutes ago, Cygnia said:

Assault, drugs, drunk driving...these are the usual crimes I'd expect from an NFL player.

The Browns, however, will find a new way to Brown...

Browns Linebacker Mychal Kendricks Indicted on Insider Trading Charges

Please tell me he is an "inside" linebacker...on a more serious note, at least he is taking responsability for his actions.

According to his attorney, he's pleading guilty.

“I would like to apologize. Four years ago, I participated in insider trading, and I deeply regret it. I invested money with a former friend of mine who I thought I could trust and who I greatly admired. His background as a Harvard graduate and an employee of Goldman Sachs gave me a false sense of confidence. To this point, I had worked my tail off since I was 5 years old to become a football player. I was drawn in by the allure of being more than just a football player. While I didn’t fully understand all of the details of the illegal trades, I knew it was wrong, and I wholeheartedly regret my actions.

"Since the beginning of the investigation, I have fully cooperated with the authorities and will continue to do so. I accept full responsibility for my actions. Although I did not take any of the profits for myself, I am committed to repaying all of the funds gained illegally and accept the consequences of my actions.

"I sincerely apologize to my coaches, the owners, and my teammates on the Eagles and the Browns, the NFL, and the magnificent fans to whom I owe my career. I also apologize to my family, who I have failed in this. You all deserve better, and I will work my hardest to re-earn your trust and respect, serve as an advocate to educate others, and show you that I will never be involved in anything like this again. Thank you.”

Last games of the preseason are tonight. I hope to watch at least some of the Broncos-Cardinals game, depending on whether my tyrant children will let me have the TV. I may have to come home early and make sure their Kindles are charged.

The Broncos are resting most of their starters, of course, so Chad Kelly gets the start at QB, with Paxton Lynch playing the 2nd half (or at least that's the plan). I hope Lynch plays well . . . so that some other team who's desperate for a backup QB will (finally) take him off our hands. Then maybe we can sign RGIII when the Ravens cut him this weekend.

I'm not sure what to think of Pacman Jones as a Bronco. Sure, he's talented, but he's also a complete ****head. Then again, so was Aqib Talib. If Pacman can make it through the season without getting injured, suspended, or arrested, I guess that's a net win.

In any case, the next four or five days are liable to be very, very interesting.

I imagine things are going to be uncomfortable for fans and players alike in Oakland.  Both know the team will be in Vegas in 2020, but without a stadium in Vegas being ready before then (and assuming there aren't even more delays) the team has to serve a lame-duck term in the city that they have abandoned for the second and possibly final time. This has got to stick in the craw of fan and athlete alike. Plus the stadium they have to finish out this term in is a festering pit (with serious sanitation issues) that is overdue for the gentle touch of the imploder. Against this background, the team has to carry on, hold their heads up, and play the best football they can. and last year that wasn't that bad. The question, of course, is why fans will continue to attend the games at that barn, knowing full well that nothing they do is going to keep the team in Oakland.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

"And now we interrupt this Seahawks-Raiders preseason football game for a sequence of half a dozen plays where the referees practice throwing flags."

EDIT: 17th penalty of the game, and it's not halfway through the third quarter.

I was probably the only one who liked the replacement refs from a few years back.  Because barring some really stupid decisions, they did let the players play.  Sometimes I get the feeling that the real refs call some penalties just to become part of the show rather than to regulate it.  (or maybe they have a per game flag quota)