Forgotten Enemies metathread

steriaca

I had the idea that the Zen Team had a robot fighting machine at one point, but the operational costs--not to mention reparations for the damage caused--became too prohibitive, so it was put into storage.  Of course, there's always the possibility someone could steal the machine--Zen Scorpion, anyone?

On 6/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, steriaca said:

Which flavor of Zen Team do you like? Super Sentai (give each member a giant mecha, and have them spend lots of time inside it), or Gatchaman (funky weapons, the vehicle only to get them from place to place, spends more time away from the said vehicle, maybe animal style to them)?

...of course, they can have both...

I would recommend against putting too much emphasis on mechs. These supplements are for the superhero genre, which is mostly built on person-to-person combat on a human scale. Stray too far from that and you risk reducing the product's utility, and appeal.

14 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I would recommend against putting too much emphasis on mechs. These supplements are for the superhero genre, which is mostly built on person-to-person combat on a human scale. Stray too far from that and you risk reducing the product's utility, and appeal.

The mecha is there because it is a staple of Super Sentai shows. It is not a requirement for a Super Sentai to have one. And the Karmen Rider franchise does very well with just a motorcycle and Ultraman does well with just itself in his giant body.

43 minutes ago, steriaca said:

The mecha is there because it is a staple of Super Sentai shows. It is not a requirement for a Super Sentai to have one. And the Karmen Rider franchise does very well with just a motorcycle and Ultraman does well with just itself in his giant body.

I understand. But you did ask,

On 6/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, steriaca said:

Which flavor of Zen Team do you like? Super Sentai (give each member a giant mecha, and have them spend lots of time inside it), or Gatchaman (funky weapons, the vehicle only to get them from place to place, spends more time away from the said vehicle, maybe animal style to them)?

...of course, they can have both...

So I stand by my recommendation.

2 hours ago, tiger said:

Coming out around the end of summer is a new project called Hero's Resource. Will be groups and organizations that heroes can turn to for some help. First issue will have to superhero teams that PCs can trust for some help. Here's the cover

HR-FC.jpg

Ah...Rose/Psyche.

4 minutes ago, Duke Bushido said:

Wait--

Does this mean you've secured cooperation from Heroic to do the original team?

Because-- well that'd be _astounding_!

:D

Or did they just not get Rose with all the others?

I've been given permission to work up the League of Champions. Flare, Huntsman (Marksman), Pysche, Giant, & Icestar

3 hours ago, tiger said:

I've been given permission to work up the League of Champions. Flare, Huntsman (Marksman), Pysche, Giant, & Icestar

Are they still using Sparkplug (the heroic Pointsetia), Lady Arcane, and...I guess Gargoyle is not going to be available. Guys, this chocolate covered Gyro Jim microphone shaped candy bar is for you.

What I expect to see in the "League of Champions" section of the book.

1) Sidebar on the history of these characters as part of Hero Games.

2) A created by line for each character. Huntsman should be credited as "Adapted by Dennis Mahoney from the original character of Marksman by Bruce Harlock.", and a similar line for Psyche.

3) A "they also serve" section, listing in paragraph format other members they had over the years.

4) A "routes gallery" section which gives name of villains with a single paragraph. The Flying Fox should be mentioned. As should The Fat Man, Thugmaster, and Doctor Death.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:57 AM, steriaca said:

What I expect to see in the "League of Champions" section of the book.

1) Sidebar on the history of these characters as part of Hero Games.

2) A created by line for each character. Huntsman should be credited as "Adapted by Dennis Mahoney from the original character of Marksman by Bruce Harlock.", and a similar line for Psyche.

3) A "they also serve" section, listing in paragraph format other members they had over the years.

4) A "routes gallery" section which gives name of villains with a single paragraph. The Flying Fox should be mentioned. As should The Fat Man, Thugmaster, and Doctor Death.

Can't promise anything but will do what I can. They were and weren't part of HG history due to ownership, kinda like Gargoyle. Got to come up with quotes for them too. Oh, it's just Muerte, no doctor or professor stuff  😁

4 minutes ago, tiger said:

Can't promise anything but will do what I can. They were and weren't part of HG history due to ownership, kinda like Gargoyle. Got to come up with quotes for them too. Oh, it's just Muerte, no doctor or professor stuff  😁

*rolls eyes* Doctor Death is there rename for Doctor Destroyer after they losses the rights to use him. Much like the Flying Fox is the rename of Foxbat.

It is easy to forget. He only showed up once, in Marksman annual #1. Then only referred to later, eventually as Doctor Death.

As for history, they were the guys on the cover of various first, second, and third edition books. Note that in the sidebar.

The best thing to put maybe this...

"Hey, These Guys Look Familiar.

If you been an old timer playing Champions, you may of seen members of the League of Champions on the covers of Champions first, second, and third edition books. Also, if your a comic book nerd, you seen them in there own comic book from Heroic Publishing. They originated as the official test team, named the Guardians. They were never written up in the game (at least till Bruce became product line manager, and gave us a Marksman writeup for 4th edition and the Fusion game). Dennis Mahoney used the Guardians in some variation, with permission from the original players, for the Champions comic book mini-series, which lead to Heroic Publishing and his own stories featuring these characters.

Some characters had their permission removed, which is why some characters have been both renamed and altered slightly."

Feel free to alter the text. That way, new players who are unfamiliar with the characters can get some history about them.

...that is, if we are ever going to get newcomers to buy the digital download. I still refer to these things as 'books'.