Dangerous Thoughts (God, I love new players)

Evil Steve

I thought I'd start a thread dedicated to those glorious, self-destructive comments that players provide that are too twisted and wrong not to add to a campaign.

I got a great one tonight from Jen, newbie to Champions and the evil that is my GMing style. Prior to this, her gaming experience was D&D 3.0 and Macho Women With Guns.

To Quote...

"Nazis from Mars."

Twisted, wrong and too good not to use.

While conducting campaign planning;

me: "...sure, but who's the villain?"

(house cat plops down on FREd)

wife: "The cat is the villain behind all of the heroes problems"

me: "Seriously, who is the one pulling the strings here?"

wife: "I am serious. Think about it. The cat poses as the pet of the 'main' villain, gets adopted by the group, and has unlimited access to the heroes plans."

(light bulb appears over head)

me: "And the group never suspects a thing until the climatic battle.....brilliant."

me: "And just to add insult to injury, the worst thing is that the leader of the group not only has no idea of what the cat really is........he also scoops its poop."

There are actually some WWII conspiracy sites that suggest the Nazis (not aliens) created flying saucers (lenticular aerodyne objects) and have a colony on the moon, and somewhere in Antarctica. They make some tenuous connections between all the ex-nazis who went to work for the US, these supposed space nazis, and area 51 as well. The myth of the Norse (blond haired blue eyed aliens is wrapped up in it, too). You needn't make things up. The crackpots have already done it for you.

It's not really paranoia when they really are out to get you. I love the house cat idea, that's just too funny. What if Bucky the Wonder Dog, Spiff's faithful radioactive sidekick, starts to harass the new house cat. Is it just a cry for attention, or have Bucky super senses detected something sinster about it? hmmmmmmmmm

On the Nazis:

Well the movie Starship Troopers, their uniforms seemed a little Nazi-ish to me. One reason I pulled for the bugs. When you consider space Nazis, giant beetles who shoot plasma beams out of their (edit) dont seem to bad.

And the cat:

I always suspected my cat was an evil genius.:P

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

I actually think all cats have psionic powers, myself. Mind Control: One Command ('scritch me'), or just Emotion Control ('Awwww!') with Gestures (Flop And Writhe) ...

Steve Long's writeup for the domestic cat in the Bestiary gives them an optional Seduction Skill, called Conquer With Cuteness.

Yup, he's a cat person.

Originally posted by D-Man

There are actually some WWII conspiracy sites that suggest the Nazis (not aliens) created flying saucers (lenticular aerodyne objects) and have a colony on the moon, and somewhere in Antarctica. They make some tenuous connections between all the ex-nazis who went to work for the US, these supposed space nazis, and area 51 as well. The myth of the Norse (blond haired blue eyed aliens is wrapped up in it, too). You needn't make things up. The crackpots have already done it for you.

Excellent point!

Originally posted by Badger

On the Nazis:

Well the movie Starship Troopers, their uniforms seemed a little Nazi-ish to me. One reason I pulled for the bugs. When you consider space Nazis, giant beetles who shoot plasma beams out of their (edit) dont seem to bad.

Yup. "Doogie Howser: Psychic Gestappo" was our subtitle for that movie. :rolleyes: But hey, it's not like they were all whitebread folks from Argentina or some...oh, never mind. ;)

Back somewhat on topic, yes, take what your players throw out and run with it, even if it destroys your previous work. If it's better than what you had, USE IT.

Originally posted by Supreme Serpent

Back somewhat on topic, yes, take what your players throw out and run with it, even if it destroys your previous work. If it's better than what you had, USE IT.

Ya know what your players will do if you do this, don't you? They will immediately stop making comments.

Actually, that's a little broad. One of my players has never trusted me since I had her NPC pet mouse press the biggest reddest button in the broadcast booth, after she told the mouse to press the biggest button, and their highly private conversation was subsequently broadcast over a good part of Louisiana... but I digress. DocMan says you should always give your GM ideas, that way you have a chance to defeat the ideas before the GM twists them far enough. Doesn't work for him -- unless I twist them far enough that he doesn't recognize them anymore.

And no, Doc, I haven't any examples, so don't even ask

Ya know what your players will do if you do this, don't you? They will immediately stop making comments.

Actually, that can happen very quickly. The trick for the GM is to use the players information against them, but in a way the challenges them, not demoralizes. Some of the greatest learning experiences my players have had, have been from defeating their own "creations". If a GM can create an interesting and fun way to challenge the characters with their own ideas, it can be great fun. Purely using their ideas against them just for kicks can take the steam out of the staunchest of playing groups.

Originally posted by Badger

On the Nazis:

The book is great. As for the movie, I still can't believe Virginia needed money that badly.

Hello,

Originally Posted by D-Man:

This fascinating little branch of UFO conspiracy theory has sprung up around the number of advanced long-range U-boats (Types XXI and XXIII) unaccounted for at the end of World War II, the known scientific interest of Germany in Antarctica, the work of a German weird scientist named Viktor Schauberger, more prosaic "ODESSA File"-type South-American-Nazi theories, and a mysterious mission carried out by the Allied military forces near Antarctica in 1947 called "Operation Highjump" (variously described as an arctic-conditions training exercise and as a terrain and resources survey). Some also tie it in to Nazi occultism and the alleged belief of some among them in "hidden races" and the "hollow world" theory, which usually involves secret polar openings into the subterranean realms.

It is the premise for an interesting little short story called "The Last Battalion", by David Drake (of Hammer's Slammers fame).

Seems like lots of campaign potential there for GMs of a conspiratorial bent...

Hope this helps! :)

Originally posted by Scott Destroyer

Hello,

This fascinating little branch of UFO conspiracy theory has sprung up around the number of advanced long-range U-boats (Types XXI and XXIII) unaccounted for at the end of World War II, the known scientific interest of Germany in Antarctica, the work of a German weird scientist named Viktor Schauberger, more prosaic "ODESSA File"-type South-American-Nazi theories, and a mysterious mission carried out by the Allied military forces near Antarctica in 1947 called "Operation Highjump" (variously described as an arctic-conditions training exercise and as a terrain and resources survey). Some also tie it in to Nazi occultism and the alleged belief of some among them in "hidden races" and the "hollow world" theory, which usually involves secret polar openings into the subterranean realms.

It is the premise for an interesting little short story called "The Last Battalion", by David Drake (of Hammer's Slammers fame).

Seems like lots of campaign potential there for GMs of a conspiratorial bent...

Hope this helps! :)

It already has :) I've just finished playing a Millenium's End/Cthulhu campaign based on exactly that. We were doing fine, until we met Mr. Hitler's Ghost at Point 103 in Antarctica, and had neglected to bring any magic weapons...

One of my favorite things to do as a GM is give the players what they wish for. With a twist. For example, in an AD&D (no bloody 3.5, no bloody 3, no bloody 2, OLD school, original hardcover AD&D) campaign, after a grueling session getting through high level monsteers, someone said, "I wish we could fight some kobolds or something." So next session, they did. Had to recover a stolen gem from a kobold lair. The key is that kobolds built the place knowing that they are 1/2 hit die beasties. And that they breed like rabbits. 400 kobolds attacking through murder holes, traps, pits, boiling fluids of various kinds. You know, fighting some kobolds.:D

If you give players enough rope, they hang their characters for you.:D

Originally posted by tmutant

Had to recover a stolen gem from a kobold lair. The key is that kobolds built the place knowing that they are 1/2 hit die beasties. And that they breed like rabbits. 400 kobolds attacking through murder holes, traps, pits, boiling fluids of various kinds. You know, fighting some kobolds.

Are you sure your name's not Tucker? :D

(Assuming there are enough old-time gamers here who remember the story.)

Originally posted by Armitage

Actually -- I'm not an old-time gamer. Just started about ten years ago. However, Klytus (the DM) has told me about Tucker's Kobolds. I thank God that he has never caused us to encounter them. However, in our current D&D campaign, we have run into this lair of Kobolds who, if they are not Tucker's, may have learned a thing or two from them...

Guest WhammeWhamme
Originally posted by Armitage

Well, one too few!

Gimme!

Originally posted by White Heat

Actually -- I'm not an old-time gamer. Just started about ten years ago. However, Klytus (the DM) has told me about Tucker's Kobolds. I thank God that he has never caused us to encounter them. However, in our current D&D campaign, we have run into this lair of Kobolds who, if they are not Tucker's, may have learned a thing or two from them...

::cackles evily::

Oh yeah... maybe she should tell you how their party of six, with characters between 10th and 15th level, all got their asses handed to them by a bunch of kobolds

Originally posted by tmutant

The key is that kobolds built the place knowing that they are 1/2 hit die beasties. And that they breed like rabbits. 400 kobolds attacking through murder holes, traps, pits, boiling fluids of various kinds. You know, fighting some kobolds.:D

Ahh, Dragon Mountain :D

Unfortunately, I was on the wrong side. We got our butts handed to us :(

oberon